The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, November 7, 2011

A Broken Pot


Vulnerable    "I am a broken pot."  These are the words of a recently widowed woman.   No one I know strives to be a broken pot, but God looks for those who are broken.  Only then can He have his way with us.

My Effort   How does the law get in the way of our brokenness?  I see in my own life that when I focus on what I should or shoudn't do, I become bound to the law and think that I can become a better Christian by adhering to His law.  In my own strength I try to keep from becoming broken by doing what I think God wants me to do.  It doesn't feel good to be broken and everything in my flesh fights against it.  But what does God's Word say about this being broken?

Utterly Crushed    In Paul's letter to the Galatians he taught about the state of being crushed.  “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God.  I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2:19-21, emphasis mine)

Surrender   As we identify with Jesus' death on the cross, our fleshly desires are shattered bit by bit so that He can live and shine through us in those areas of surrender.  Brokenness is all about surrendering to God that which is important to us until all that is left is Jesus.  Our priorities fade away and are replaced by His.

Perhaps Oswald Chambers said it best, "Is He going to help Himself to us, or are we taken up with our conception of what we are going to be?"

As I begin this day, I pray that I can surrender one more area of my identity in order to become more associated with Jesus.

Where am I living for myself and refusing to surrender to Jesus?

Where is God breaking my will?

No comments:

Post a Comment