The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, November 14, 2011

My Treasure



"The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it,
   the world, and all who live in it."
Psalm 24:1



House
Car
Clothes
Bank Accounts
Toys
Furniture
Electronics
Books
Decorations
Toiletries

This is a partial list of the stuff I own.  Even though my husband and I bought each item with our own money, can I really call it "mine"?  In light of Psalm 24, it all belongs to the Lord.  If I look a little deeper, I will even find that I belong to the Lord as well.

Good, Better, Best  How does the truth of Psalm 24 affect the way I hold onto the things in my list?  As Randy Alcorn said in his book, Money, Possessions, and Eternity, "When you came to Christ you surrendered the title to your life.  You belong to God, not to yourself."  God is calling each one of us to view our possessions as belonging to Him.  In light of this truth, I should be constantly reassessing my "stuff" and asking Him how He wants me to use it.  Is there a better use of the resources God has given me?  The world is full of suffering.  As followers of Christ, it is our calling to deliver the message of hope that is found in the gospel "to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)  How am I using the resources God placed in my hands to best fulfill that calling? 

Clenched Hands  I have heard that we are to hold our possessions with an open hand.  I often say I don't care about my stuff, but if I'm honest with myself, my heart is often like the rich young man who went away sad when Jesus told him to sell all he had and come and follow Him.  (Luke 18:22)  How can I unclench my hands?

Steward  One way is to adopt the attitude like that of Christ Jesus.(Philippians 2:5-8)  Even though He is God and could have righfully expected the very best, he instead made himself nothing and took on the nature of a servant.  Keeping in mind that a servant owns nothing of his own, this challenges me to change the way I view my stuff.  Instead of thinking of it as "mine," I can think of it as belonging to my Master and I am simply the steward.  

Change my Focus  Another help to loosen my grip would be to adopt the way the rest of creation lives.  As Jesus taught in Matthew 6, birds and flowers do not possess anything, but they lack for nothing.  As believers, we glorify God best when we rely on Him for our needs.  We look just like the world who has no hope when we do like them and,  "run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:32-33)  When I focus on God and His Kingdom, He will provide what little "stuff" I need.

My Heart   It is often said that the state of our heart is revealed by how we choose to spend our money.  How I view my stuff reveals what is important to me as Jesus said in Matthew 6:21, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  What I value determines where my heart will reside. 

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will hold all I have lightly and be willing to give it away without a second thought. 

Which of the possessions God has entrusted into my care would I have a hard time giving away?

Where does my heart reveal a pride of ownership?

No comments:

Post a Comment