The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Ways Are Higher

 

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways,”
            declares the LORD.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9

The Discussion
"No!  That movie is not good for you and I'm not giving you permission to go see it!"
"But Mom! All of my friends are going and if I tell them you won't let me go, they're going to be mad at me."
"My answer is still 'No.'  You're just going to have to trust me on this, Honey.  Believe me. . .you'll thank me for this later."
"Arrrgggghhh!"

Why?   I have always had a strong desire to understand why things happen, or to comprehend the motivations that drive someone to do something.  I can analyze a thing to death until I've studied all possible angles and viewpoints.  This can be helpful when thinking back on a hurtful conversation and understanding where I went wrong, but it runs counter to a faith relationship with my Father.

Understanding God's Character    Part of faith is following without understanding.  It's as if God is saying, "If I say jump, I want you to jump!"  It speaks to my understanding of God's sovereignty and power.  To trust Him in a thing, is to say, "I know you have a purpose here, and even though it seems wrong to me, I will trust you in Your plan."  It was like when the prophet Jeremiah assured God's people, who were in exile at the time, that God knew of their predicament and that He knew what He is was doing and, in fact, that their situation was all a part of a greater plan.  Read Jeremiah 29:10-14:

 This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place.  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Full Circle  God's plan would bring His people full circle, back to their homes in Jersualem after a period of time.   It was as if God were saying, "You're just going to have to trust me on this.  Believe me. . . you'll thank me for this later."

Acceptance  If I were one of the exiles, I'd probably analyze my situation, trying to understand the purpose for my plight.  But showing my faith in God would mean that I would accept where God has placed me, and would live for Him there.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I would accept the situations in which God has placed me, and trust in His plan for my life.

Where am I trying to understand instead of simply trusting in the goodness, lovingkindness and sovereignty of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment