The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 4, 2011

All of Me





Kale
   
 Mixed Messages   We have a cat named Kale who is the most frustrating little thing!  Sometimes, I can walk right up to him and pet him while he drools and purrs in ecstasy.  Other times he plays coy and keeps just out of reach while he arches his back, his chest rumbling with delight as if he wants nothing more than some affection, but never lets me touch him.  Then there are the times when he runs away as if he doesn't even know me.

My Heart   This is how I am with God!  Sometimes I readily accept all He has for me, luxuriating in His tremendous love and grace.  Other times I say I love Him and want Him to have His way in my life, but I stay just out of reach.  Then there are the times when I run away from Him as if I don't even know God, choosing instead to do things my way.


Midnight

Available   God wants us to be like our other cat, Midnight.  He readily accepts any affection I am willing to offer, without complaint and with great abandon.  He greets me as soon as I wake up with a friendly flick of the tail, and is available to me throughout the day.  There is never a time when he runs away with fear, but is content to accept whatever comes his way. 


Lukewarm   God revealed some harsh messages to a church in John's Revelation.  The report directed at the church of Laodicea is especially alarming.  They were neither hot nor cold, but indifferent.  This reminds me of the times when I say I love God, but I still insist on relying on my own strength instead of His.  "I got this Lord, you don't have to worry about this problem. . . I've got it under control."  What a dangerous attitude.  God told the church at Laodicea that, ". . . because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Revelation 3:16)  If I say I love God, I better let Him have all of me!

Warning   Isaiah delivered the same kind of message to the people of Judah during the time of the divided kingdom.  God wanted His people to know that He wanted nothing of their heartless traditions.  As you read God's Words below, put it into today's context and let God speak to your heart regarding your own attitude. Keep in mind that He is speaking to His own people, yet referred to them as Sodom and Gomorrah.  Ouch!

Hear the word of the LORD,
   you rulers of Sodom;
listen to the instruction of our God,
   you people of Gomorrah!
11 “The multitude of your sacrifices—
   what are they to me?” says the LORD.
“I have more than enough of burnt offerings,
   of rams and the fat of fattened animals;
I have no pleasure
   in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.
12 When you come to appear before me,
   who has asked this of you,
   this trampling of my courts?
13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
   Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
   I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.
14 Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals
   I hate with all my being.
They have become a burden to me;
   I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
   I hide my eyes from you;
even when you offer many prayers,
   I am not listening.

(Isaiah 1:10-15)

God is tired of my coy behavior and disingenuous worship.  He wants all of me.  And He wants all of you. 

My prayer as I begin this day is that I will willingly accept all God has to offer me, and not hold back anything from him.

Where am I running away in fear from God? 

Where am I exhibiting an indifferent, coy attitude toward Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment