The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sacrificial Giving

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect,
go, sell your possessions and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven.
Then come, follow me.”
Matthew 19:21



When most Americans think of "sacrifice," we think of giving up dessert or going without cable TV for a day.  But sacrifice is more than that.  "Sacrifice" is defined as the surrender of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.  If I look at everything God has put into my care in light of this definition, is there anything higher or more important than God and His calling on my life?  Or, putting it another way, do I love my stuff, my time or my family more than I love God?

Obedience  When God puts something on my heart, I can choose to obey, or to not obey.  The choice I make illustrates where God stands on my list of priorities.  Jesus put God first as demonstrated by His choice to obey God no matter the cost.  He was "obedient to death—
even death on a cross!" (Philippians 2:8b)  What am I willing to give up in order to obey God?  My reputation?  My house?  My family?  My life?


Cost  David would not give a sacrifice that didn't cost him anything. After he had foolishly taken a census of his men to know the might of his army, putting his trust not in the Lord but in the number of his troops, God punished him with a plague on his people.  Then He ordered David to go to the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite and build an altar to the Lord there.  When Araunah offered to give the land for the altar to him, David refused.  He said, "I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing.” (I Chronicles 21:24b)  David knew the importance of giving a sacrifice that cost him something.  What am I willing to give that costs me something?

The Least of These  When was the last time I paid any attention to the homeless man draped across the park bench, or the eyes of the scruffy-looking child who lives up the street and is always hanging around outside, or the desperation of the drug addict who can't seem to get his life together?  Jesus taught that at the end of time, when He is sitting on his glorious throne and all the nations are gathered before Him, He will separate His sheep from the goats, or those who followed Him from those who didn't follow Him.  From among His followers, He invites them to take the inheritance, the kingdom prepared since the creation of the world.  Then He thanks them for feeding, clothing and giving Him something to drink when He was in need.  Confused, the believers' questions are answered when Jesus said, "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."  (Matthew 25:40)  What am I doing to care for the forgettables: those who are easy to ignore in our society?

Love  Sacrificial giving is the idea of giving time, resources or talents that cost me something.  It is not easy, but it is a true act of love.  As Jesus taught His disciples, love is our hallmark.  He said, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35)

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can look for ways to give sacrificially.

How am I ignoring those around me who need a dose of God's love?

Where am I holding on to things, or time,  that could be used by someone who needs it more than I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment