The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 18, 2011

God's Will or My Will?




"Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness."
Genesis 15:6 



Obedience could be defined as, "doing what you're told."  Most children find this a challenge, especially when a parent tells the child to clean their room, or to do some other despised chore.  Obedience is hard when it goes against the child's own will. 

It is the same with me in my relationship to my heavenly Father.  Obedience begins with Him.  He burdens my heart with a thing and I then have a choice.  Either I do what He is telling me to do, or I do not do what He is telling me to do.  In other words, either I obey or I disobey.  Its easy to obey when its something I feel comfortable doing, but what about when it goes against my own plans, my desires, or my comfort level? A prayer of philosopher and theologian Augustine's sums it up beautifully. "O Lord, grant that I may do thy will as if it were my will, so that thou mayest do my will as if it were thy will." 

Temper Tantrum  Obedience boils down to a surrender of the wills; my will for my Lord's will. We've all witnessed a battle of the wills between a 2-year-old and her parent.  Many times this ends up with the child throwing a temper tantrum because the child does not want to surrender her desire to eat some candy, for example, even though her mom said, "No."  Unfortunately, I have not completely outgrown the use of this tactic.  I remember when my husband and I were scouting out the area to which God had directed us to move.  As we searched for accommodations, we came across a house that had just been framed up in a new community.  The houses seemed too close together and there were no trees except the tiny ones the builders planted in front of each completed home.  I hated it and I decided I didn't want to live here.  Problem was, I knew this was where God wanted us.  So. . . I threw a tantrum.  I ranted and raved to God, but something happened as I surrendered my will for His.  A peace flooded my spirit and now, 6 years later, our backyard is filled with trees!  God isn't callous toward our feelings, but He is unyielding regarding His plan. 

Defiance   Obedience shows who, or what, is my lord.  When Abraham believed God at His word and then did what God said to do, He was showing who was Lord of his life.  He clearly had placed God in that position.  When Moses was presented with a mission in Exodus 3-4, however, he had many concerns and questions.  God addressed every one and eased Moses' mind.  But when Moses revealed his uncertainty regarding his own ability to speak what God had commanded him to speak to Pharaoh and asked God to send someone else, ". . .the Lord's anger burned against him. . ."(Exodus 4:14)  Moses lost the chance to speak to the leader of Egypt and witness God's power in his life.  Instead, Aaron was given the job to do.  Putting his own insecurities above God's plan revealed that God was not truly Lord of Moses' life. 

Actions Speak Louder   Obedience is followed by blessing.  It is easy to equate blessing with material wealth or gifts.  But God is not as concerned with our physical comfort, but in our spiritual health.  We are made right with God through faith, and obedience is the manifestation of our faith.  It is said that, "Talk is cheap."  Anyone can say, I trust God," but obedience shows that I trust God. When I trust God, I am showing that I believe He will do as He has promised and that God is a God who keeps His promises.  Our righteousness is a direct result of God's character.  He is able to justify the ungodly, and when I believe that, He credits my account with the blessing of righteousness (Romans 4). 

Obedience is a surrendering of the wills, shows who is first in my life, and is followed by a blessing from a God who keeps His promises. 

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can exchange my will for God's and willingly obey.

Where am I letting my fears become my god?

How can I better trust God and let Him get His way in my life?

"When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself,  saying, 'I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.' And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised."
Hebrews 6:13-15 

No comments:

Post a Comment