The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Stealing Praise

“I am the LORD; that is my name!
   I will not yield my glory to another
   or my praise to idols."
Isaiah 42:8



No one can argue that Oprah is an influential woman.  Many turn to her for guidance and advice, even if its only to learn about her latest "favorite thing", or to know what they should read while on vacation. Her position as advisor to the people only makes the following that much more alarming.  America's favorite girlfriend and talk show host has long been promoting a worldview that is counter to a Christ-centered belief, and she advocates more of a self-centered spirituality.  Back in her late 20s, Oprah started to question her Christian beliefs and the idea that God is a jealous God, a God who expects to be first in our lives, above all things.  She was sitting in church, listening to a sermon, and she thought,  "How can this God who is all loving and all powerful, why would God be jealous of me?"*   Completely misunderstanding the character of God, she then left the faith of her childhood and began a quest of New Age spirituality.
Influence  What makes this so alarming is that Oprah is trusted by so many.  I wouldn't be surprised if she is responsible for leading more people away from the truth of the gospel than any other person in history.  But why are we so willing to accept her ungodly philosophy?  Maybe we don't really understand the character of God for ourselves.  What does it mean for God to be a jealous God?
God is not jealous of me.  Rather, He is jealous for me.  We find this teaching smack in the center of the second commandment, where God is commanding us to hold nothing in importance above Him.  "You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods."  (Exodus 20:5 NLT)   He is a God who expects to be given his proper place above all things.  He deserves to have the first place in my affections, my thoughts, my agenda and in the way I spend my time.  
God needs nothing from me.  He has a plan and doesn't need me to carry it out.  Mordecai knew this characteristic of God, as he illustrated when advising his niece, Queen Esther.  The Jewish people were in danger of being annihilated at the hand of the evil Hamman.  And Esther, as the wife of the King, was in a position to do something about it.  So he said to her, ". . . if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14)  In other words, if Esther didn't step up to the plate, God's plan would still go forth but Esther would not be a part of that plan.  God did not need Esther to carry out His plan.  And He does not need you and me, either. 
God's plan is all about Him.  When the people of Israel were held in bondage under Pharaoh in Egypt, God's plan was to use Moses to release them from their misery.  God used plagues and miracles in the process of releasing them from slavery and leading them toward the promised land.  Many times He stated the reason for these shows of power were so that, "you may know that the earth is the Lord's" (Exodus 9:29) or that, " you may know that I am the Lord." (Exodus 10:2) Years later, under the reign of Ahab, the evil king of Israel, God was all about bring glory to His name.  Ahab was given a chance to see this truth when God sent a prophet to deliver a message of military success so that, "you will know that I am the Lord." (I Kings 20:13).  Everything God does is to draw attention to His might, power and glory. Who am I, the created being, to steal glory from the Creator, even in thinking that it was my hard work or cleverness that brought about my success?   
All Good is From God, Not from Me!  If this world is all about God, created for God and by God, why do I have such a hard time giving God the glory and honor which is rightfully His?   I am quick to take the credit or accept compliments and praise for all kinds of good things in my life, thus stealing praise from God.  It is easy to believe others' compliments instead of giving credit where credit is due.  I must remember that, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights." (James 1:17a)

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I would let nothing steal praise away from the Lord my God.
Where am I taking credit for something that God did in my life?
How am I putting other things, thoughts or activities in a position of higher importance, above God?

*Oprah's quote from:  http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Finding-Your-Spiritual-Path-Webcast-Transcript/6#ixzz1ezwxWdMH

No comments:

Post a Comment