The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Take Him Seriously

Attack of the killer caterpillars!  A couple of months ago, I was mowing the lawn and discovered some tent caterpillars munching on my precious River Birch tree!  Upon closer inspection, I could see the tree was infested with the pests.  I called Clemson Extension to get some expert advice, and the helpful man gave me a list of pesticides from which to purchase which would take care of the problem immediately.  I took my list to the local hardware/garden superstore and spoke to a salesperson.  She said they didn't carry any of the products listed, but she recommended another.  Being one to save time and money, I readily agreed to the substitution.  I followed the directions and sprayed the tree the next morning.  Unfortunately, the alternative had no effect on the caterpillars who continued to devour my tree at an alarming rate!

Shortcuts.  As I took my problem before the Lord, he simply told me that I hadn't followed the directions. If I had done exactly what the expert had advised, I would not be sitting in my backyard listening to the horrible sound of hundreds of caterpillars crunching the leaves of my favorite tree. 

All of God's Word is Important.  It makes me think about God and his desire for us to follow His commandments to the letter.  Take David, for instance.  Remember when he moved the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem after it had been in enemy hands for so long (2 Samuel 6)?  In his zeal to return the Ark to its rightful place, he cut some corners and failed to refer to God's specific instructions on how to transport the precious cargo.  Instead, he transported it like a common item, or an idol; on a cart pulled by two oxen.  Uzziah lost his life that day as he tried to steady the holy load, but everyone learned a powerful lesson about taking God seriously.  Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God is significant.  Do I live my life in such a way that shows this truth?

Can you think of some other instances in the Bible where someone did not take God's instructions or commands seriously? 

In what areas of your (and my) life are we not honoring God at His Word? 

No comments:

Post a Comment