The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Trust Brings Blessing

"For the LORD God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The LORD will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
O LORD of Heaven's Armies,
what joy for those who trust in you."
Psalm 84:11-12 NLT



Fear grips her heart as the headlines scroll across the screen.  She ponders all that is happening and her chest tightens with anxiety.  Projecting forward into the future, she foresees calamity entering her own world and she cannot breath.  

It's easy to fall into such a trap while living in a world that is filled with things to dread and worry about.  Tragedy could strike at any time, so precariously balanced is my fragile life.  I want to trust God in all things, and I know that's what He wants from me, but it means letting go of the fear of the unknown, releasing my desire to have some semblance of control, and turning from the oh-so-familiar anxiety which I wear like a comfy sweater.

There are some things I can learn about God that will help me to trust Him.  And when I do place my faith in Him, there will be such joy!

Sun.  Without it, the inhabitants of earth would have no light.  It brings warmth to an otherwise cold planet, also serving as the center of orbit for this solar system, holding the planets on course.  Plant life uses it's radiation and heat to grow and produce and without it, there would be no life as we know it.  The sun is the source of life-giving energy as well as the center of our universe.

On a much grander scale, God could be compared to the sun.  He is the source of all good things and without Him, life would not exist nor would it be able to endure.  God made everything, and if it wasn't for Him, I would not be here thinking the thoughts I'm pondering about Him (Genesis 1).  Even though I'd like to think I'm pretty important in the scheme of things, mankind wasn't even brought into existence until the final day of a week filled with creative invention.  While I'm not an afterthought, I am certainly not the center of the universe.  That is God's rightful place.

As the source, He is also good so everything that comes from Him is good (James 1:17, 1 John 1:5).  This means I can trust what He gives, knowing that it will be beneficial to me and my life.  I need not fear anything with such a God as this in my life!

When I understand that God is the source of life and all good things, I can trust Him with my life.

Shield.  I scrambled for shelter as the hail stones pelted my exposed sin.  I had been caught out in the storm as I rode my bike home from school one day and while the adventure of it all had been exhilarating, I was glad to reach the protection of my home.  

Life can be like that sudden hail storm I experienced as a child.  I find myself out in the midst of difficulty, feeling like I'm exposed and vulnerable to the harm that often comes from every angle.  God wants to serve as my shield, my safe place in the midst of the hard times, the heartache and the struggle (Psalm 46:1-3), but I must enter into His shelter.

When I understand that God is my ever-present help in times of trouble, I can trust Him with my life.

Generous.  His character is kind and big-hearted.  He wants His children to experience all the goodness He has to give.  He is not stingy, giving only what is needed, nor is He conditional, withholding until I get my act together.   Instead, it is His desire to lavish heavenly gifts upon me as His well-loved child.

The thing is, I often look elsewhere for meaning and purpose, depending upon other sources to give me what I need.  Sometimes it's my own ability to provide and protect that I rely on.  Other times it's the people I respect as dependable and able to take care of me.  Then there are times I even believe good will come if I just let it, not even considering the source of such good things.

If I put all my eggs in God's basket, inclining my heart toward Him and expecting Him to give me what I need, I'll find Him come through every time (Matthew 6:32-33).  If I live as if He doesn't exist, as if my actions don't matter, then I'm not open to what He has to give and I'll miss out on all His blessings (James 1:5-8).

When I understand that God is a generous God who wants to shower me with blessings, I can trust Him enough to walk His way. 


It is hard to trust God, I'm not going to sugar-coat it.  But gaining a larger view of God helps make it easier.  When I understand that He is the source of all good things, my protection and a generous God, I will begin to see that I can place all my weight on Him, trusting Him implicitly.  You see, this God is truly trustworthy, and when I trust Him, I'll find much blessing in return.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can place all that worries me into the hands of a God who is able to handle it.

How do I hold back from letting God have free-reign in my life?

When do I forget all good things come from God?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment