The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

His House, His Way

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
Psalm 91:1 NLT



What does it look like to dwell in God's protection, in His hiding place, in His house? Sometimes I think I must wait until heaven to find out what that's like, but the truth is that I can live there now. In the midst of the evil and chaos that swirls around me, I can rest in His wonderful home.

To live in the protection of His presence is where I'm meant to be.  But I don't automatically dwell there.  Just because I'm made in His image doesn't mean I'm ushered through the foyer of His mansion and into His living quarters. Simply due to the fact that I accepted Jesus as my Savior doesn't guarantee me a ticket there either.  In order to find my place in His home, it is necessary for me to let Him rule me, to allow Him to be my Lord instead of me taking control of my own life.  To live in my Father's house, I must agree that it's His House so things go His way.

What are the benefits of such an arrangement?

Deliverance.  "For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease.  He will cover you with his feathers.  He will shelter you with his wings.  His faithful promises are your armor and protection." (Psalm 91:3-4 NLT)  

Living in my Father's house means I'll be liberated from the destructive ways I cope with life.  I could use alcohol to numb my aching heart, to enable me to endure another day of the hurts I hold deep inside.  Or I may try drugs to anesthetize my mind so I don't have to think about my present circumstances and my past failures.  Or it could be that even though the abuse I receive is bad, I've convinced myself that it's better than being alone, so I accept it as normal.  Or my body could be taken over by one who hates me and wants to destroy me, giving me no choice but to do his bidding.

Whatever my mode of survival, my Father will deliver me from such captivity, drawing me close to His breast as his precious child.  When I surrender to Him, He'll rescue me from the snare that holds me captive or the deadly pestilence that is slowly killing me.  He sent Jesus to rescue such prisoners as I (Isaiah 61:1-3).

When I surrender to my loving Father's will for my life, I will find deliverance from all that holds me captive.

Protection.  I can't sleep.  When the sun goes down my terror rises up like a beacon, calling me to pay homage to her.  All that plagues me keeps me up at night, pacing, worrying, fretting.  So much could happen, my life hangs by a thread, balancing precariously on the edge of a cliff.  One wrong move and I'm a goner (Psalm 91:5-8).

Even though there is much to fear in this world, I need not be afraid.  Why?  How could I possibly live at peace when there is so much to threaten me?  I can be at rest no matter where I am because I have a Father who protects me.  He has me hemmed in, going before me like a guide and following behind me like a guard (Psalm 139:5).  My loving Father also has His hand of blessing on my head, constantly releasing a flow of goodness into my life.  Under such protection as this, I need not fear, no matter what I see around me (2 Corinthians 5:7)! 

When I surrender to my loving Father's will for my life, I will find protection from all that threatens me.

Security Detail.  The President of the United States has men constantly at his side, making sure no threat can get to him.  He also has a crew of personnel who go before him, sweeping an area of danger, giving him a clear path to walk and move about in that day's planned activities.  Backgrounds are checked of all that will come into contact with him, the physical surroundings are wiped clean of any and every possible hazard, and any risky obstacles are removed before his arrival.  In short, the Secret Service is there to preserve the life of their charge.

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ who has decided to abide in my Father's will for my life, I also have such a security detail who protects me wherever I go (Psalm 91:9-13).  Who knows how many times in my life that attacks against me have been thwarted or threats have been removed?  I bet I've had dozens of close calls where God's angel warriors and protective spirits have shielded me from harm.  To think that God has an entire battalion of angels ready to jump into action on my behalf gives me great comfort.

When I surrender to my loving Father's will for my life, I will find a security detail that keeps me safe from all that threatens.


I don't automatically live in my Father's House, but I can dwell there if I give up trying to control my own life and let Him have His way.  When I do, I'll find that I am delivered from my destructive patterns, protected from the harshness of this world, and given my very own security detail as I walk unscathed through the battles of life.  In these ways I'll discover my Father's attentive love for me, but only if I choose His way over mine.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God with every detail of my life.

When do I fear what God is already protecting me from?

How am I failing to trust God in the midst of the threats, instead choosing to fear?


No comments:

Post a Comment