The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Rock of Refuge

"But the LORD has become my fortress,
and my God the rock in whom I take refuge."
Psalm 94:22



They run but there is nowhere they can go where the insidious evil will not find them.  Even the innocent children are not exempt from the brutal acts of terror.  How do our brothers and sisters cope in such darkness, under such pressure, in the face of such evil?  They have a safe Place, a Refuge where they can take shelter; and He is the Lord whom they worship.

I may not face trouble on this level, but living in an evil, dark world can lead me to discouragement and heartbreak as I witness all the suffering and experience some myself.  Even though it may seem wickedness is winning and I have nowhere to take shelter, I am offered a refuge by faith in Jesus.  I may be on the verge of destruction, but I can take heart that through Christ, I will not be crushed, driven to despair or abandoned by God (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).  

Here is the kind of protection I need and can expect when I take refuge in Him.

Help.  When I was in the hospital recovering from surgery, I appreciated the tender, loving care of my husband.  Normal daily tasks like getting out of bed, taking a shower and putting on my clothes became a huge undertaking.  The pain and swelling in my abdomen and the slight confusion and wooziness caused by the drugs and anesthesia still lingering in my body teamed up to make it hard for me to function normally.  I needed assistance to accomplish most everything.  

I remember attempting to eat my first meal.  The nurses' aid delivered the tray to my table and helped me get in position to eat.  As I tried to raise my hand with the arm tethered to the IV, I found it awkward and difficult.  I spent several minutes attempting to adjust the tray table, to pull it closer and lower it down, but I just couldn't get it.  Finally my husband returned with his meal and was able to help me so I could eat.  Without help, most simple functions were difficult and overwhelming.

This is a picture of God as I'm going through hard times, facing evil attack, or in the midst of strife.  He offers gentle assistance, empowering me to keep on living and carrying on in the face of such hardship.  In the same way I couldn't function normally on my own after surgery, I need the help of my ever-present God who is my 24-7 support system (Psalm 46:1).

When I take refuge in God during times of trouble, I will find the help I need to get through.

Love.  I felt my foot slipping but before I even knew what was happening, a strong arm upheld me until I could regain my footing.  If my husband hadn't been right there beside me, paying attention to my plight, I may have fallen.  Similarly, God is right there with me, paying attention to every step I take.  His love-nature drives Him toward the suffering, the hurting, the needy.  Therefore, I can count on Him to be there for me when I need Him.

Not only that, but there's more about the love of God that keeps Him by my side, holding me up.  God's love never gives out, runs out of steam, or stops working (1 Corinthians 13:8).  His love just is, and it's the same now as it always has been, ever strong and faithful.  Therefore, I can cry out to Him in my greatest hour of need or in the smallest of irritations and His love will sustain me.

When I take refuge in God during times of trouble, I will find the love that holds me up.

Consolations.  Nothing I said made a difference.  Her heartache was so deep that she could not be consoled.  Only God was able to bring relief to my friend's hurting soul.

When the cares of life get me down and I feel discouraged by all that is coming my way, I can trust God to cheer me in just the way I need.  He knows how to comfort me in all my troubles, to ease my pain, and to encourage my heart.  He is "the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. . ." (2 Corinthians 1:3b).

When I take refuge in God during times of trouble, I will find the consolation that cheers my soul.


There is no doubt this world is filled with darkness and evil.  As I pray for my brothers and sisters in harms way, I know they are finding haven in our Father who is their Rock of refuge.  I can follow suit, and when I do, I will find the help I need, the love that holds me up, and the consolation that brings cheer to my soul.  In these ways, I will join with the family of God and take shelter in my Rock of refuge.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to help me.

How do I try to muddle through on my own, attempting to negotiate the potholes of life without my Helper?

When do I wallow in sorrow, robbing God of the joy He finds in consoling me in my pain? 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment