The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Golden Years

"Now that I am old and gray,
do not abandon me, O God.
Let me proclaim your power to this new generation,
your mighty miracles to all who come after me."
Psalm 71:18 NLT



It was always the goal, the target for which he aimed.  He worked hard, socking money away through the years with this objective in mind.  He could see the finish line in his mind's eye and he fantasized about his final day of work, after which he would be free; liberated from the daily grind and able to do whatever he wanted.  He'd finally get to work on his bucket list instead of accomplishing the goals of his job.  Instead of rising early to try to get ahead, he'd start sleeping in and enjoying the fruits of his labor.  He could not wait for retirement.

While this is the scenario played out and held up as the ideal by this world, is it what God intends for His people?  Is this God's intention or man's?  To find out, let's take a look at the cry of a heart inclined toward God.

With Me.  David knew he was nothing without God.  If the Lord abandoned him, there would be no hope for carrying on.  After living a life in His presence, David knew he could no longer bear his life alone; he was fully dependent upon his Father and counted on the fact that He would always be there.

Do I know this as well?  Or do I get caught up in self-reliance, depending upon the feedback of others to make me feel good about myself, and looking to the world to find my identity?  Once I realize and acknowledge that God is my source of strength, obedience to Him is what brings peace as I fall in line with His purpose for my life, and that my worth is in who I am to Him, I will feel the same way as David did.  Apart from Jesus, I can do nothing (John 15:5).

It is God's desire that I depend upon Him wholly.

Legacy.  I don't like to think about death.  It's uncomfortable to consider it.  I enjoy thinking about joining my Jesus in heaven, but it's hard to wonder what it will be like after I leave.  Will anyone remember me?  When they think of me, what will come to mind?  What kind of memories will my family carry with them?  My legacy is important.

It seems that David wanted to be remembered for proclaiming the mighty acts of his beloved God.  He wanted nothing more for the end of his life than to tell another generation about His greatness, to brag on the Lord and to introduce this group coming up to the intimacy he enjoyed with his Father.  Instead of wanting to be given more years to live for himself, he couldn't wait for the next batch of children to come up so that he could tell them of God and His ways.

Each day is a gift and could be seen as another opportunity to spread the Good News about our King.

More.  No matter how many people David told about his God, there were always some that had never heard the stories.  When relating any truth to people over and over again, I sometimes get the idea that everyone must know.  It's like I've heard it so much myself, and repeated the same truths so many times until it's quite familiar to me, so I think it must be the same for everyone.  But there is always someone who has never heard about Jesus.

I can take a cue from David and keep the stories of Jesus fresh, remembering that there are always more who have never heard.  If the Gospel is a whole new concept to entire groups of people, then I must keep in mind the treasure I have the privilege of revealing to them.  Instead of seeing the act of sharing Jesus as an obligation, I can take it as an honor to be the first one to introduce Jesus to another whose never heard of Him.  And the longer I live, the more opportunities I'll have.

There is always more to tell, uncharted territory to cover when it comes to sharing Jesus.


The golden years can be a time to kick back and relax, enjoying the fruit of my labor, or I can take a different tack.  I could realize my desperate need for Jesus, desiring to leave a legacy that points people to Him for generations to come, and realizing there is no time to stop sharing the familiar stories of Christ because there is always someone who hasn't heard.  In these ways, retirement can be more than just rest from work, it can be a time of even more fruitful labor.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to transform the way I think so that I can desire nothing more than You, seeing You as my greatest treasure.

How do I run after things that will not last?

Am I investing in God's kingdom in any way?  

No comments:

Post a Comment