The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 16, 2015

His Dwelling Place

"How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD of Heaven's Armies."
Psalm 84:1 NLT



I long for the dwelling place of God where I will be blessed and find peace and security.  Where is this blissful place?  In heaven on high, in the mansion Jesus is preparing for me?  Must I wait until this life is over to enter into His courts?  Or does the psalmist speak of the here and now, that I can enter into such a wonderful place in this moment?

Submit.  "Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise." (v 4 ESV)  Growing up, there were rules for those who lived in our house.  We were expected to clean up after ourselves, to share the load of daily chores, and to each take our turn in cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.  As children, we also were to submit to the decisions our parents made with the understanding that they were acting on our behalf, looking out for our best interest.  It was a pretty good system and I don't ever remember questioning whether or not my needs would be met or if I was protected.  I lived at peace under my parents' roof.

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, it is no different (1 John 3:1).  I live in His kingdom, in the here and now (Luke 17:21).  With God as my Father, it is my duty as His child to let Him have His way, to trust Him with the details of my life and to agree to His best for me.  Instead of running after things that are outside of His dwelling place, I can learn to be content with Him and what He provides for me (Matthew 6:31-33).

I live in God's wonderful dwelling place when I submit to my Father in all my ways.

Strength. "What joy for those whose strength comes from the LORD. . ." (v 5 NLT)
Living in this world throughout my life, I have learned to depend upon myself, to lean on my own understanding about how the world works, and to do for myself.  I've become quite independent and am too proud to ask for help and let someone else do for me.  With such a mindset and way of living, I often feel pooped out and discouraged.  It's hard to live by my own strength.

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, there is a better way (Isaiah 40:31).  God never runs out of steam or feels depressed or downhearted.  In contrast, no matter how positive my attitude is, I will at some point reach the end of myself, but God has no borders.  He is without parameters nor does He have limits.  His power is unequaled and the end of it can never be found.  Therefore, when I trust in Him for my strength, I'll never run out and I'll find joy in such abundance.

I live in God's wonderful dwelling place when I let Him be my strength no matter what I face in life.

Value.  "A single day in your courts is better than I thousand anywhere else!" (v 10 NLT)
Throughout my life there have been many other places for which my heart has yearned.  I wanted success, notoriety, someone to love me, purpose, all the things that I thought would make my life meaningful.  I ran after them with gusto, sure that once I reached my goals I would finally have peace and contentment.  I never saw the value of God and the place He had prepared for me in His presence.

My Father has been drawing me toward Himself for my whole life, challenging me to taste and see that He is good (Psalm 34:8).  Now that I have seen the great plan He has for me and the security that comes from buying into His purposes for me, I want more of Him and no longer see what was so great about those other foolish pursuits (1 Peter 1:1-3).  What once held great value to me now means nothing (Philippians 3:8).  Finally I can see that His courts are better than anything else this world has to offer, and there is no place I'd rather be than sitting at His feet.

I live in God's wonderful dwelling place when I appreciate the value of living in His presence.


This world is dark and evil, and its hard to go on living in such a place.  I long for something better, and it overjoys me to realize I can enter into His dwelling place right now.  I can find His blessing in the here and now when I submit to His best for me, lean on His strength, and come to appreciate the value found in His presence.  In these ways I will find His dwelling place right here on earth, and my heart will sing His praises!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can receive this wonderful dwelling God yearns for me to enter.

When do I insist on having my own way, which turns out to be much inferior to God's best?

How am I leaning on my own strength and growing weary?  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment