The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Trouble with a Capital "T"

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the LORD delivers him out of them all."
Psalm 34:19 ESV



"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden, along with the sunshine; there's gotta be a little rain sometime!"  I remember singing along to this catchy 1973 hit by Lynn Anderson.  As a child, I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics, but as an adult I think this first line could have been penned by God Himself.  

Committing my life to following Jesus does not mean my life will be trouble-free.  It's quite the contrary, really, as I live in enemy territory in a body that can be my greatest adversary until I'm called home (John 16:33, 1 Peter 2:11-12).  This sounds like a recipe for difficulty, if you ask me!  I'm not promised a life free of hard times but an abundant life in the midst of the mess (John 10:10).

But.  If the first part of today's scripture passage was the whole message, life would be hopeless indeed!  Thankfully, there is a "but."  The "but" means there is something more; an Overcomer who has vanquished death and has authority over sin and evil!  

Through Jesus, my Champion, I can live without fear of death.  It is no longer the end, but only the beginning of an eternity of bliss in the presence of the One who loves me perfectly!  I can trust Him that the everlasting home that is promised me will be one that fulfills me perfectly, giving me complete contentment as things return to how they were meant to be (John 14:2-3).  

I can also live a life free from the bondage of sin where temptation is not my slave driver but I can choose to take the out He's provided and walk a new way that is contrary to my fleshly desires (1 Corinthians 10:13, Romans 6:6).

Furthermore, Satan has no license to operate freely in my life.  Instead, through Jesus I have authority over him, giving him no leeway except for what I allow.  When I recognize his evil plot, my Warrior has given me armor and weapons with which to fight him off (Ephesians 6:13-18).

Jesus is who I need to withstand the trouble I face in this world.

Deliverance.  It was like nothing anyone had ever seen before.  The men walked in the fiery furnace that was hot enough to melt iron yet emerged unscathed, without even the smell of smoke upon them (Daniel 3:19-30).  How could this be?  God delivered them!

The same is promised for me as His child through faith in Jesus Christ. Even though the waters may rise up until I may fear drowning, He will be with me keeping my head above the waters.  When rapids rush around me, threatening to take me back from where I came, I won't succumb to the current.  While I may not escape the fire, the flames will not destroy me (Isaiah 43:1-3).

In the same way that Jesus was there with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego as they walked in Nebuchadnezzar's deadly furnace, He has promised to never leave me nor forsake me (Daniel 3:25, Matthew 28:20, Hebrews 13:5).  With Him at my side, what weapon can prevail, what trouble can overcome me (Romans 8:31, Isaiah 54:17 )?

Jesus is my deliverer who will stand with me through the trial, delivering me through it unscathed.

Complete.  Ever present.  Always ready. Very present.  Well-proved.  God is my refuge and strength.  Always, without fail, never to let me down in my time of need (Psalm 46:1).  With such a God as this at my side, what do I have to fear?

God's help is complete and whole.  He does not do a job half-way, but delivers total healing, full recovery, and thorough transformation.  He does not miss a detail.  Therefore, I can trust Him completely no matter what chaos is going on around me.  

Still, I must keep close to Him and train my attention upon Him to keep the current crisis from sending me into a tailspin of panic.  God is my refuge, but I must stick with Him in order to experience the help He is ready to give.  He will not let me down.

Jesus can be counted on to always provide complete help at just the right time.


Yes, life is full of trouble with a capital "T."  Even though I'm ushered into God's kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ, I'm not promised an easy, comfortable life.  I do have hope, though, in the person of Jesus Christ who will always be with me, faithfully delivering me through whatever trial may come.  Therefore, I can choose faith in Jesus instead of fear of what surrounds me.  I'm not promised a rose garden, but the joy that comes with walking through the fire with Jesus smells sweeter than any flower ever could!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus as I encounter today's trouble with the grace God has promised me.

When do I let the trouble send me into fear and doubt?

In my panic, how do I forget Who is right beside me?           

No comments:

Post a Comment