The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Profile of our God

"From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe."
Psalm 61:2-3



There are millions of deities, gods and goddesses created by human hands yet worshiped as if they possess power and authority.  Each has its own identity, form and name.  To try to learn about each one would be a full time job.  Many people bow down to them as god even though there is little known about their character.  As Paul said to the Greeks, "you are ignorant of the very thing you worship." (Acts 17:23b)

There are many religions which I could follow as I live this life, but only one God who is inviting me to seek Him out and enter into a relationship with Him so that I can come to know Him as a child knows a Father.  The Creator of heaven and earth is all-powerful yet making Himself available to me. He is not an unidentified god languishing in a long list of other divinities.  He is the One True God whose identity is clear and character never changes.  

Who is this God I claim to trust?  What can I expect from Him, or ask of Him?

Higher Rock.  A few years ago I completed an obstacle course with three of my daughters that was designed by Marines.  This race challenged me in ways I'd never been tested.  As we approached one of the several dozen obstacles, the ten-foot sheer wall, I knew I couldn't climb it without assistance, and my teammates were not going to be able to help me reach the top.  

What the Marines instructed us to do was seek help from competitors who were already at the top of the wall.  So, as my daughters lifted me from the bottom, a strong man reached down from the top and help to hoist me up.  Once there, I could help get the rest of my team over that obstacle, but I needed help from someone in a better position than I to have any hope of overcoming that impossible feat.

It's like this in life.  There is only so much I can do to overcome the problems I face on a day-to-day basis.  As a result, I must constantly seek help from the One who is stronger and more powerful than I.  God is that Rock who is higher than me.  He is in a position to be able help me in ways I could never imagine.  He knows what I need and when I need it.  His solutions are far superior than whatever I could come up with (Isaiah 55:8-9).  

My God is stronger and more powerful than any other source of help I could seek.

Strong Tower.  My husband and I hiked up the 2,300-foot hill, soaking in the beauty of God's creation.  As we climbed higher and higher, our feet started crunching through fluffy snow.  By the time we reached the top, we were ready for some shelter from the cold.  All that was available, however, was a tower built for observation.  Even so, I was surprised by how much protection from the icy wind that stone structure provided.  The moment we stepped foot inside, the temperature seemed to rise by several degrees.

God is like this strong tower.  He is secure and provides a measure of protection against the harsh conditions I encounter every day.  I can enter into His presence, finding safety when I'm being threatened.  

When my heart wavers with doubt as the darts of the enemy tempt me to despair, I can find truth in Him, giving me resolve to press on toward the goal (Hebrews 12:1-2).  When there is indifference all around, tempting me to adopt an apathetic outlook, I can find passion in Him, lighting a fire for fully living (John 10:10, 15:5).  When it seems life is nothing more than a series of tasks meant to be accomplished, I can find purpose in Him, offering a reason to carry on.

My God is a strong tower meant to protect me in times of trouble.

Refuge.  Even though I don't want to go through surgery again, there is something special that I treasure about the time my husband and I spent in the hospital last year during my recuperation.  I felt especially cared for as he tended to my needs, stayed by my side and helped me through my recovery.  Regular day-to-day living does not necessitate such attentions from my husband, but I cherish that time that strengthened our bond with one another.

I don't need to go under the surgeon's knife in order to experience such loving care from my Father.  He is my refuge, my safe place, my retreat where I can expect to receive the kind of nurturing attention I experienced from my husband while in the hospital.  Like a mother hen gathering her chicks under her wings, God cherishes me as His child and tends to my needs with compassion and kindness.  He tenderly leads me down the path He's marked out for me, gently prodding me forward while nursing my wounds.  

My God is a refuge who hides me under the shelter of His wings.


My faith is in a God who is able to be known.  For this reason, I can learn more about His character as I live in relationship with Him.  As I grow closer, I find Him to be a Rock who is higher than I, a Strong Tower who provides protection, and a Refuge who lovingly cares for me. This is a profile of my God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to protect me from that which is dangerous.

When do I feel vulnerable as I live life in this cold, dark world?

How am I trusting in other "gods" who are impotent to save me?   

No comments:

Post a Comment