The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Olive Tree

"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God.
I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever.
I will thank you forever, because you have done it.
I will wait for your name, for it is good, 
in the presence of the godly."
Psalm 52:8-9 ESV



Olive trees are virtually indestructible.  No matter the conditions, whether hot, dry, cold, wet, planted in rocky or sandy soil, the robust olive tree will live and produce fruit.  Even if it is cut down or burned, new shoots will sprout up from its roots.  Furthermore, these tenacious trees can thrive with a minimum of water in great heat and some even grow from roots systems that are over 2,000 years old.  

No wonder David compared himself as one who trusts in God to an olive tree.  In Christ, we too can make such claims.

Trusting.  In the same way that this durable tree can survive the harshest of conditions, I can endure whatever comes my way when I put my trust in the steadfast love of God.  His love can help me weather any storm, pull through any trial, and endure even the harshest of conditions.  While its one thing to survive, His love enables me to thrive as I live connected to His root system (John 15:5).  

I wouldn't expect to be able to produce fruit during times of trouble, but I've noticed in my life that some of the sweetest times have been when I've been enduring the most difficult circumstances.  In the middle of the crisis, God comes through in some powerful ways, giving me the supernatural ability to exhibit His love, reach out in mercy, and maintain a peace that cannot be explained.  Letting God be my strength has never let me down (Isaiah 40:28-31).

I am like an olive tree, fruitful and indestructible, when I trust in the steadfast love of God.

Thankful.  Olive trees are old souls.  These hardy plants are not just able to withstand any kind of condition, but they tend to multiply.  One root system not only survives for thousands of years, but can have ten or more other trees surrounding it that have sprouted from its one source.  

Like this productive plant, I can cultivate an atmosphere of praise wherever I go.  When I give thanks to God for the good things He is constantly at work bringing about in my life, my thankful attitude tends to rub off on others, promoting thankful hearts in their lives as well. 

Furthermore, the more I praise Him, the more I can see of His handiwork and the greater is my vision of His power at work.  It's like a cycle of praise that expands each time I give Him thanks, opening my eyes up to even more that He has done in my life and in the lives of those around me.  Before I know it, I'm living in constant gratitude to Him for all He has done and for who He is to me.

I am like an olive tree, sprouting shoots of thanks, when I cultivate a grateful heart to a God who is worthy to be praised.

Hope.  The thing about an olive tree is that it is a source of food that gives sustenance, oil for lamps that provide light, medicine that brings healing; possessing an olive tree in one's garden is a symbol of hope in the good things it will provide.

Similarly, I always have hope in Jesus Christ, because through Him I have a Father who generously provides for all my needs and even lavishes good gifts on me as His child (Matthew 6:31-32, Matthew 7:11).  

Waiting on His good name gives me a mental toughness that enables me to endure even the most harshest of conditions with the confidence that He will come through for me.  I can believe without a doubt that I will make it through because He has promised to go before me and to never leave me (Deuteronomy 31:8).

I am like an olive tree, sure to possess all that I need and more, when I wait on the good name of the Lord.


Olive trees are symbols of prosperity, perseverance and privilege.  When I trust in the steadfast love of God, give thanks to Him forever, and hope in His good name, I can do as David did and compare myself to an olive tree.  In Christ, I will bear much fruit, multiply in praise to God, and enjoy more than I could ever imagine.  The olive tree is more than just a gnarly old tree; it is a symbol of all that I can be in Christ!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can wait on the Lord.

When do I falter, losing hope when Jesus died to deliver me all the hope I need?

How am I cultivating a griping spirit instead of a heart of praise, missing out on noticing all the good He has surrounded me with? 




Photo courtesy of http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/01/Ancient-Olive-Tree.jpg

   

No comments:

Post a Comment