The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

God Alone

"I wait quietly before God,
for my victory comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will never be shaken."
Psalm 62:1-2 NLT



Life is hard.  My heart breaks easily.  Tears come quickly at the sound of compassion.  There are many places I could turn, ways to ease the pain, routes to follow in a quest for relief.  Only One, however, is worthy of such confidence.

Wait.  My flesh hungers after productiveness.  I feel a need to do something.  It's hard to sit by and watch as things fall to pieces.  Yet this is exactly what God wants from me.  He desires that I wait quietly before Him, sitting at His feet to find His peace, giving Him a chance to work on my behalf.

The Israelites learned this firsthand when they stood between the Red Sea and the approaching Egyptian army.  As they panicked, crying out for delivery, God told them what to do.  He said, "Don't be afraid.  Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today." (Exodus 14:13a).

God is the only One who is worth waiting for.

Salvation.  "Jesus. Jesus. Jesus."  I heard her grieving, wounded heart utter His name.  Her husband cruelly and brutally snatched from her midst, she sat in the shambles of her broken life and drew comfort from the one name that could save her from this pain (Isaiah 61:1-3, Acts 4:11-12).

He said He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).  When He proclaimed such wonder, He meant more than just that He is the way to heaven where He would sit at the right hand of His Father.  He was also ushering in His kingdom here on earth where He is the key to receiving all good things from the Father.  He is the conduit of grace, the channel through which His redemptive love flows, the means to discover the abundant life in the midst of the mess.

Jesus is the only name by which I can be saved.

Rock.  It all seemed to be sinking sand.  Everywhere I stood, my feet sunk into the soft, warm sea shore and I couldn't find a way to anchor the shelter.  We tried piling the sand up over the feet, sinking the poles deep in the sand.  We tied out the anchors, but the stakes easily pulled out at the first gust of wind.  Soon, the sun shield we had erected was blowing down wind as we chased behind like some erratic kind of parade.  At least we were giving the other beach goers some form of entertainment, but what we needed was something solid in which to secure our tent if we had any hope of it staying put.  

God is this solid ground, this rock upon which I can build my life.  He is secure and unchanging, giving me a strong base, a sure foundation.  With this kind of footing, I will not easily be swayed (Matthew 7:24-27).  I can also draw my strength from His since mine is easily depleted.  Then, I will soar like an eagle through the sky, effortlessly gliding above the clouds (Isaiah 40:31).  When I feel helpless, at the mercy of merciless man, there is the power of His indwelling Spirit that gives me a way to rise out of the ashes (2 Timothy 1:7, Isaiah 61:3).

God is the rock of my life.


It sometimes seems life is one big struggle after another.  Following Jesus, however, gives purpose to the pain.  While I could seek many ways to cope with the difficulties, there is only One who can be trusted with such jewels.  In Him I can wait with confidence, find salvation and discover the rock that is necessary for stability.  In God alone I place my trust.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that when trouble comes my way, I can let Jesus be the only Name I utter.

How do I turn to other sources for help?

When am I easily knocked off my feet?         


No comments:

Post a Comment