The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Mountain of Bashan

"The mountains of Bashan are majestic,
with many peaks stretching high into the sky."
Psalm 68:15


They were high and beautifully rugged, splendid in their majesty.  The sight of them caused a sharp intake of breath.  Surely this was the place where God's glory and presence would be placed.  What better location for His temple than these peaks reaching to the heavens?

But God did not select the obvious choice.  Instead, He preferred the lowly Zion.  And in His choosing, He exalted it over all the others despite its less-than-spectacular appearance.  Mount Zion, even though modest in height and humble in form, was God's chosen home, where His presence would be represented by a grand temple.

This is God's economy, so different from man's.  As such, what can I expect from Him?

Humble.  She didn't care if anyone knew of her existence.  It was her heart's desire to share God's love, however He chose to use her.  If that meant traipsing around in the African bush, she was overjoyed to do so.  If He chose to place her on a stage for all to see, she was willing.  It mattered not to her, for her heart was fully inclined toward her first Love.

My young missionary friend has developed a deep and meaningful relationship with her Papa, as she calls God.  Because she has submitted herself to Him in the midst of the struggle, while her heart grieved the losses she has suffered, their bond has grown strong and she is loyal to Him and His desires for her.  The fleshly pride has fallen away as she stands in His overflow of love, grace and mercy.  Instead of expecting Him to align Himself with her plans, she has done so with His.  It is a thing of beauty to behold.

God is not impressed with showy, flashy efforts, but the selfless offerings of a humble heart such as this.

Overlooked.  Everyone is talking about the latest celebrity gossip.  In this culture of celebrity fascination and veneration, the rich, famous and notorious tend to be exalted, while the ordinary is overlooked as worthless and insignificant.  Living in such an atmosphere, I tend to take on this same mindset and feel unimportant in the scheme of things.  God, however, does not hold this same point of view.

While people may give their attentions to what is obviously beautiful, talented and put together, to whoever has the so-called "it factor," God honors the hurting, broken and lowly among us.  He sees the tiny sparrow that flits around in the bushes unnoticed by most but treasured by the One who made it.  If He is watching such seemly insignificant happenings as the demise of a little bird, what do I think He is doing with those the world brushes aside as worthless (Matthew 10:29-31)?  He sees, and in His willingness to turn His eye upon the insignificant, the lowly suddenly gains significance.

God takes note of those the world ignores because each of His masterpieces is precious in His sight(Psalm 139:13-16).

Content.  I want more.  I'm not happy with just sitting back and letting life happen to me.  I'm taught to take the bull by the horns and wrestle it to the ground, making my life what I want it to be, giving myself significance by the important things I do.  I'm ambitious.

While the world exalts drive and determination as necessary for success, God does not.  He wants to be the One who lifts me up, grants me position and give me meaning.  It is only in submitting myself to His direction for my life that I find true significance, and along with it contentment.

Seventeenth Century French philosopher Jean de la Bryere supposed that I'm putting myself in jeopardy when I venerate success or try to go after what I want.  He wisely stated that my strong desire for achievement results in bondage to the god of my aspirations. "The slave has but one master, the ambitious man has as many as there are persons whose aid may contribute to the advancement of his fortunes."  May I instead bow at the feet of my Savior, letting Him do the promoting in His way and in His time.

Contentment only comes from resting in God and His plans for my life, not in going after what I want.


God does not value the same things I do.  If I am to live as His child, I must let Him change the way I think so it lines up with His mindset.  He is drawn to the humble and overlooked, and desires that I find my contentment in Him.  God does not operate according to the world's ways, but has His own superior economy that is so strange to my flesh.  In the end, however, His way is far superior.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust in God's strange ways.

How do I try to apply the world's standard to God's kingdom?

When am I expecting God to fall in behind me, supporting my efforts to go after what I want?   

No comments:

Post a Comment