The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Worldly Wisdom

"He immediately consulted with his wise advisers,
who knew all the Persian laws and customs,
for he always asked their advice.
The names of these men were
Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres,
Marsena, and Memucan--seven nobels of Persia and Media.
They met with the king regularly and held the highest positions in the empire."
Esther 1:13-14 NLT



Who is my go-to person?  From where do I gain wisdom for living?  How do I acquire understanding in tricky situations?  King Xerxes had a whole group of men who were well-versed in the laws of the land but also the ways of their culture.  They knew how certain actions might affect the people and thus the king's ability to reign, but they also possessed good insight into the mindset of the average person.  It's no wonder that the king met with them often.

The problem with such advice, however, is that it is based on faulty human reasoning.  When I follow suit and make man my source of wisdom, I will soon discover the difference between insight from God and that of man.

Reputation-focused.  How will this make me look?  People will talk.  They'll think I'm weak. . .or foolish. . .or just plain dumb.  Wisdom from the world is based on the influence my actions may have on others and their perception of me.  Since no one can predict perfectly how people will respond to certain news, this kind of advice is based on conjecture and assumption.  I'm guessing how my decisions will influence others and responding in a way that is most favorable to my reputation.

Politicians do this all the time.  Many base their professional decisions on the latest opinion poll instead of acting on convictions and beliefs.  When I live my life in such a way, I'll find myself like a wave, tossed around this way and that, pushed wherever the judgments of others dictate. 

Instead, I can ask God for wisdom, believing He is the true Source of good advice (James 1:5-8).  When I do so, I will find an Adviser who guides me in the way that is most excellent for me.  He has my best interests at heart so I can trust Him to lead me right.

God's wisdom is concerned with what is best for me while man's considers only how it looks to others.

Fear-based.  King Xerxes knew he had to do something in response to his wife's public display of disrespect.  If he let it go, he believed every wife would follow suit and they would have a revolt on their hands!  Therefore, he decided to send a strong message to the women of the land.  Your husband is king of your home and you should respect him always, or else!

Wisdom based on man's way of thinking often uses such tactics to obtain the desired results.  It's manipulative, influencing the behavior of others by holding something over their head.  If I don't do "this", then I will receive "that."  And the "that" is always something I want to avoid.  In this kind of advice, I don't willingly comply out of respect for the law or law-giver, but out of fear of the consequences for disobedience.  This kind of tactic is often found in countries ruled by dictators, or organizations led by the power-hungry, or families headed by the insecure.  

In contrast, God gives me free will to decide which path to take.  I will experience the natural consequences for my actions, but He does not strong-arm me into doing things His way.  He desires for me to obey Him because He knows it is what is best for me, but the choice is always mine to make.

God's wisdom is freely given while man's depends on coercion and intimidation.

Comfort-aimed.  The solution was simple:  Get rid of the problem.  Since Queen Vashti was rocking the boat, the king's advisers recommended that he dispose of the queen and find a new one.  Problem solved.

This is often the case with worldly advice.  It follows the path of least-resistance, that which causes the smallest fallout, or whatever gives a minimal amount of trouble.  In short, it's all about what is the easiest and least troublesome.

God does not avoid pain, and neither does He expect me to take such an easy way out. He does what is right, looking for the outcome that will bring about permanent healing, beauty out of ashes, and joy from the darkest night (Isaiah 61:1-3).  While man's brand of wisdom doesn't usually solve anything, God's brings about surprising goodness from the rubble.

It reminds me of an injury our cat Blacky sustained one day as he roamed the woods behind our house.  He sustained a puncture wound that required lancing for proper healing.  Any kind of similar injury must be healed from the inside out.  This meant that all the pus and putrid fluid had to be drained from the wound, a painful process.  In order for our cat to experience complete recovery, however, he had to go through this treatment.  Similarly, my healing may require that I face painful realities as I purge the ugly hurts from my heart.  

God's wisdom brings about health and wellness while man's is most focused on comfort and avoiding pain.


Advice is everywhere, free for the taking.  Trouble is, the kind of counsel I receive from the world is focused on preserving my reputation, manipulation using fear, and aims for my comfort as it's highest goal.  If I want true wisdom, I'll need to ask God who will give me His best, let me choose to follow or not, and results in wholeness.  When it comes to advice, I'll take God's over worldly wisdom any time!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can make God my go-to source for wisdom and advice.

When do I rely on what makes sense to me instead of following God's advice?

How do I prefer comfort over true wisdom?    

No comments:

Post a Comment