The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

It's a Distraction

"So Sanballat and Geshem sent a message
asking me to meet them at one of the villages
in the plain of Ono.
But I realized they were plotting to harm me,
so I replied by sending this message to them:
'I am engaged in a great work,
so I can't come.  
Why should I stop working to come and meet with you?'"
Nehemiah 6:2-3 NLT



Ministering to the hurting.  Feeding the hungry.  Seeking the lost.  Cherishing the forgotten. Shining a light into the darkness.  Whatever it is God has called me to do, it may seem like a waste of time to the world around me.  It appears as a lost cause to those watching.  It looks inconsequential to the success-driven segment of society.  

Therefore, I might experience attempts to take me away from what I'm meant to do.  Others could try to draw me into what they consider to be a more respectable and meaningful pursuit.  I could find myself being lured away from what God has drawn my heart toward.  Even if no one else understands, this is my calling.  How, then, do I stay focused in such an environment?

Eyes on the Prize.  In order to pull a cart, walk down a trail, or follow its rider's instructions, a horse must stay focused.  When the animal starts looking around at it's surroundings, as a curious horse will, it could get distracted from the job at hand, veering off-course or going its own way.

Similarly, I must keep my eyes on what is coming, not on where I've been or what's going on around me.  It's easy for me to get distracted from what I'm meant to do, just like a horse. Instead of paying attention to how I've failed in the past, or worrying about what may be headed my way, I can focus on the finish line and what is awaiting me there (Philippians 3:13-14).

When I falter, then, I can remember I am saved by faith not by works, making my entrance into heaven unaffected by my ability to live a perfect life (Ephesians 2:8-9).  With such security, there is no need for me to fear failure.  When I'm tempted to veer off the path, I can instead press on toward what I know will come, giving me the incentive to keep going even if it seems my efforts are in vain (Proverbs 4:25-27).  When I receive another offer that seems more beneficial, I can remind myself of my desire to hear the words I long to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant." (Matthew 25:21)

I can stay focused on my calling by keeping my eyes on the heavenly prize that awaits me.

Purpose at Hand.  When my daughters were learning to compose an effective essay or concise prose, they learned a useful phrase to help them keep unnecessary fluff out of their pieces.  "Don't put a carrot in the cookie jar."  By reminding them of this saying, they were prompted to look for anything that didn't support their thesis or premise.  Whatever didn't further their purpose for writing the piece was discarded.

Similarly, I must know what my thesis or purpose is for my life.  Paul introduced his own reason for living in the introduction to his letter to the Romans.  He said he was, "chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his Good News." (Romans 1:1)  Having such a clear picture of his purpose must have helped him shape his days and fill his schedule.  If a proposed activity didn't further his purpose, then he could throw it out.

Knowing my purpose helps keep me from all the activities that are good but may not further my reason for being where God has placed me.  If I'm to minister to a certain segment, anything offered outside that calling could take my attentions away from what I'm to do.  No matter how beneficial that pursuit may be, if it doesn't fall under my calling, it is a distraction.

What is my purpose?  Knowing can also help me discern the distractions from the opportunities.  If I am called to be available to those in need, I will not see a phone call that disrupts my schedule as a distraction but as a divine appointment.  If my purpose is to evangelize the lost, then every person who crosses my path, no matter how unpleasant or irritating, is not just there to complicate my day but to hear the Gospel of Jesus.  If it is my given objective to encourage the hopeless, then the constant parade of societal rejects marching into my life is not a reflection on my ability to draw the dredges of society but the hand of my Father providing opportunities to dispense a dose of hope. 

I can stay focused on what I'm called to do by knowing what that purpose is.

Stand Firm.  The sales pitch was effective.  I was tempted to give in despite my best intentions.  The salesperson made the product sound so appealing, I suddenly wanted a Juicer for myself even though I knew deep down that I would never use it.  Infomercials can be dangerous to my wallet and fill my home with unnecessary gadgets.

In the same way that a good sales pitch will create a desire for a product, I can also get distracted from my intended purpose by hearing a description of an appealing diversion.  No matter how good that proposed activity is, if it will take me away from my area of focus, I must stand firm.  No matter the pressure, I must realize it's not for me, at least not at this time in my life.

The people of Judah had many distractions that could have kept them from finishing the project God had called them to do.  Their enemies tried a number of tactics designed to get them off track, but Nehemiah recognized the plot to take them away from their work of rebuilding the wall.  Therefore, he was able to stand firm and refuse the offers.

No matter how nice or helpful an proposed ministry, activity or pursuit may seem, I must be willing to stay resolute.  Persevering in my calling means I will often have to weed out that which is a distraction and keep from being drawn away.  

It will be necessary for me to stand firm against all that can lure me away from the job at hand.


I have an enemy whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10).  He spends every hour looking for ways to keep me from finishing anything that will further God's kingdom and bring Him glory (1 Peter 5:8).  If God has called me to it, I can be sure it is on Satan's radar and he will use anyone and anything, no matter how good their intentions may be, to try to get me off track. It also could be that no one else has caught my vision.  As a result, they may not understand my drive and unintentionally attempt to distract me from what seems to them a silly pursuit.

Therefore, I must keep my eyes on the prize so I can press on toward the finish line, knowing my purpose at this time of my life to help me weed out what is unnecessary, and be willing to stand firm against the pressure to veer off the path.  Once I realize the enemy's tactics are just a distraction, I can keep running the race that's marked out for me (Hebrews 12:1).


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stay focused on Jesus who gives me my purpose.  

How do I lose focus, thinking I am to accept every proposal offered in love?

When do I find it hard to say, "no"?
        

No comments:

Post a Comment