The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Remember, and Fight

"I looked [them over] and rose up
and said to the nobles and officials and the other people,
Do not be afraid of the enemy;
[earnestly] remember the Lord
and imprint Him [on your minds],
great and terrible,
and [take from Him courage to] fight for your brethren,
your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes."
Nehemiah 4:14 AMP

They could have given up, conceding defeat and forgetting the mission at hand.  Instead, Nehemiah encouraged the people to not fear what threatened to overtake them, to remember the might of their God, and to fight for what was important.

I, too, could give up in the face of overwhelming odds, when darkness threatens to crush, or when I feel all alone.  Instead, let me realize the importance of my mission as an Ambassador of Christ.  May I let the love of Jesus drive out the fear that looms, remember the might of my God, and stand up and fight.

Fear.  Economic disaster.  Plague.  Divorce.  Terrorism.  Homelessness.  Cancer.  Catastrophic Injury.   Growing old.  Death.  I could go on forever.  There is so much in this world that I could fear.  The images that flash across the screen during the nightly news are enough to seize my heart and mind with terror.  What if that happens here?  What if my family is effected?  What if the same thing happens to me?

In reality, I am secure in the hands of a God who loves me perfectly.  While this world is filled with uncertainties, of this I can be sure:  I can never lose His love for me, go where He is not, or be taken away from what has been secured by the blood of Jesus (Romans 8:38-39, Psalm 139:7-12, Hebrews 9:11-12)  Therefore, I really have nothing to fear (Psalm 46:1-3).  No matter what happens, I've got the God of all creation hemming me in (Psalm 139:5)!

Keeping the one true God front and center of my perspective drives out fear.

Remember.  There were a lot of miraculous events to recall.  The people of Israel had witnessed God perform many mighty acts of provision, protection and deliverance.  God, however, knew what was in the heart of man; how easy it is for his people to forget.

Therefore, He established a memorial that would help future generations remember the greatness of their God.  Each tribe was appointed one representative to remove a stone from the middle of the Jordan River while God was holding back its flow, placing them as a reminder of what God had done for them (Joshua 4).

I, too, can set up a type of "stones of remembrance," giving myself a method in which to remind myself of God's greatness.  One way is to read His Word daily, immersing myself in the accounts of those who witnessed His mighty deeds.  Another is to create a journal where I record all the ways He has shown up in my own life.  Taking the time to read through it, especially during times of hardship or despair, can help to remind me of all that He has done for me.

Reminding myself of who God is and all that He has done is an important habit to maintain.

Fight.  The video disturbed me as I watched people callously drive past the elderly man laying in the middle of the busy road.  He had just been struck by a car while attempting to cross the street, but not one person stopped to help.  Another showed a woman suffering a heart attack in the waiting room of a mental hospital.  Even an orderly ignored her obvious need for help.

There is no doubt I live in a cold, uncaring world where each is concerned with their own welfare, safety and provision but rarely look out for their fellow man.  Living in such a place, it would be easy for me to follow suit.  Instead, I am called to a higher standard where God's love rules.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, His love flows through my veins.  It is my purpose to allow that compassion and kindness to spill over into the world around me.  Instead of hording it for myself, love is meant to be shared (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

Therefore I must fight to repel coldheartedness since it comes so naturally to my flesh (1 Corinthians 16:13-14).  I also must stand firm in the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ, battling against my tendency to earn what has been freely given (Galatians 5:1). Furthermore, I cannot just roll over and accept the creeping darkness, but join in the fight to stand up for what is right and true (1 Timothy 1:18-19Titus 1:9).

It is necessary to fight against the powers of this dark world using the weapons of warfare God has given to me (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).


I have a mission to be salt and light in a world that is rotting and dark.  With such a purpose, I have many enemies, and one in particular, who oppose me.  Therefore, it is important that I resist the fear that threatens and remember the might of my God.  Instead of giving in to the threat, then, I can stand up and fight!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember the might of my God, especially when the darkness seems so strong.

How do I feel overwhelmed with fear when observing current events?

How can I remind myself of God's power over such events and that He is always bigger than my greatest fear?  

No comments:

Post a Comment