The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

After the Storm

"That same day King Xerxes gave Queen Esther
the estate of Haman, the enemy of the Jews.
And Mordecai came into the presence of the king,
for Esther had told how he was related to her.
The king took off his signet ring,
which he had reclaimed from Haman,
and presented it to Mordecai.
And Esther appointed him over Haman's estate."
Esther 8:1-2



God's way is far superior to mine (Isaiah 55:8-9).  Often, though, I avoid the very thing He uses to grow my faith, build my confidence in Him, and further His plan.  I want a clean, orderly life where I am in control of what I experience.  This, however, will rob me of the good that comes through the storm.

Restoration.  Job experienced it (Job 42:10-17).  Nebuchadnezzar, proud king of Babylon, knew of this characteristic of God (Daniel 4:36).  The nation of Israel tasted this many times (Joel 2:25-27).  God is a God of restoration.

I grew up as a Girl Scout and there was one principle that was drilled into me.  Every time we went camping, or hiking, or participated in any outdoor activity, we were always asked, "Did we leave this place better than we found it?" This guideline of good stewardship has stuck with me through adulthood.

In the same way I learned to try to improve upon the spaces I utilize in life, God uses the same kind of principle.  As a lavishly generous God, when He restores what was removed due to punishment, testing or the attack of the enemy, He loves to give me more than what I had before.  He delights in improving my situation, topping my previous best, or prospering my life in some way (not always materially).

Thus, I have hope.  When the night is the darkest I can choose to believe the light will come.  When chaos seems to rule I can choose to trust God to bring order and beauty.  When nothing good can be found I can choose the path of faith, knowing without a doubt that there is unseen goodness all around me.

If I can endure through the trial, I will find that God is a God who delivers restoration after the storms of life.

Elevation.  I live in a world where self-exaltation is taught.  I am encouraged to think highly of myself, to believe in myself, and to work hard to promote myself.  Since I'm naturally inclined to be self-centered, selfish and self-conscious, I readily buy into this mindset.

Coming into contact with Christ, however, as my personal Lord and Savior, I find a different principle at work.  In God's kingdom the first will be last and those who desire greatness must strive for servanthood.  Instead of seeking to promote myself, then, I learn I am to submit to God and His plan for my life and He will be the one to do the exalting (1 Peter 5:6, James 4:10).

The funny thing is that while I live according to my flesh, I want nothing more than to be recognized, to be noticed or to be promoted in some way.  As I grow closer to Jesus, though, He works to humble me and I find my priorities shifting.  What once was so important now means very little (Philippians 3:7-12).  When God does elevate me to a higher profile, then, it is more of a responsibility than an achievement.  Instead of my chest swelling with pride over my position, my head bows low out of a desire to bring glory to God.

If I can endure through the trial, I will find that God will lift me up.

Tables Turned.  Drugs were sold.  Gangs convened.  Mischievous youth hung out.  Vandalism and raucous behavior ruled.  Our neighborhood swimming pool was more of a cesspool of sorts, attracting all sorts of darkness.

Through the love of God, however, that place was turned into a center for youth and family activities.  Instead of loitering hoodlums, little girls and boys listened to stories and made craft projects.  In place of trouble-makers overtaking the facility, teen girls looking for positive reinforcement began showing up.  While Saturday nights used to be the pinnacle of partying, it was changed to a time when families could enjoy a wholesome movie together and have a fun time with their neighbors.  God has a way of turning the tables on evil.

Satan may mean something for destruction, but God can turn it into something edifying.  The world has an agenda that destroys families, but God can use that very campaign to bring about sustenance and healing.  Evil seeks to ruin but God is always at work building up.

If I can endure through the trial, I will get to see the tables being turned.


It can be hard to stand firm, holding onto my faith during hard times.  The storm can get so strong that I'm tempted to let go, giving in to my doubts and fears.  If I hang on, though, I will discover that God restores what was lost, elevates those who are humbled, and turns the tables on evil.  In so doing, I discover the good that comes after the storm.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to hang on as the trial swirls around me.

When do I look for the path of least resistance instead of holding firm to what I know?

What kind of restoration do I need in my life?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment