The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Celebrate

"And for the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem, 
they sought the Levites in all their places 
to bring them to Jerusalem
to celebrate with gladness,
with thanksgivings,
and with singing, cymbals, harps and lyres."
Nehemiah 12:27 AMP



Birthdays.  Graduations.  Weddings.  Anniversaries.  There are many milestones in life to celebrate.  When I want to observe such a landmark, there are many methods I can choose to commemorate that day, usually involving some type of party where I gather friends and family, offer toasts, and enjoy food and laughter.

At the dedication of the wall in Jerusalem, marking the completion of a monumental project, the people of Judah had it right.  I can follow their lead and incorporate the same elements as they when I celebrate!

Gladness.  Organizing an event is enough to transform even the most joyful of celebrations into nothing more than a chore.  There are so many details to which I must tend, items to cross off my list, and preparations to make that I can lose the spirit by which I made the plans in the first place.  I have something to celebrate!

Instead of getting bogged down with the details, then, I can adapt the focus of the Israelites who realized the joy found in the Lord (Philippians 4:4).  He brought me to this point where I can mark such a milestone in the first place.  He sent His Son to die in my place so I can be free from condemnation and enjoy a restored relationship with Him.  This bond makes every moment even sweeter.  And if I only could stop and think of all for which I am forgiven.  This thought alone can set my spirit free to soar!

When it comes time to celebrate the big moments of life, I can do so with a heart of gladness, reveling in God's goodness.

Thanksgiving.  Big life-events often are a time set aside to honor those people in my life who have been instrumental to my ability to succeed.  Likewise, I often think about how I can acknowledge them as a way of thanking them and showing my appreciation for their contributions.  Why not do the same with God?  

Without the Lord, I would not be able to take my next breath, let alone accomplish anything of importance.  Therefore, He can be the focal-point of my acknowledgments.  I can publicly declare my appreciation for all the Lord has done for me, identifying key areas for which I am thankful and pouring out my praise to God.  Intentionally taking some time to give thanks to God will bring Him much honor and turn others' thoughts toward Him as well so all will consider the greatness of our God.

When it comes time to celebrate the big moments of life, I can do so with a heart of thanksgiving, publicly acknowledging His goodness.

Music.  What's a party without music?  Without some kind of melody playing, a celebration would not be the same.  While it's easy to choose music based on my tastes, picking the styles I like to listen to, why not also focus on that which will honor God?

Music can speak to the soul like no other medium.  Messages can be delivered straight to the heart through a moving composition.  It can also express the way I feel, often better than mere words.  Therefore, I can use a song as a method to convey my sentiments to a God who loves to hear my praises.  It can also move my heart toward Him in the midst of the celebration, helping me to keep Him at the center of the festivities. Moreover, music can set a tone of joyful worship as I mark an auspicious occasion.

When it comes time to celebrate the big moments of life, I can use music to joyfully honor God, moving the hearts of many toward Him.


There are many ways to celebrate the milestones of life.  Instead of getting bogged down in the details, focusing only on the people who I want to acknowledge, and picking a soundtrack conducive to revelry, I can take a lesson from the people of Judah.  I can maintain a spirit of gladness, rejoicing in God's goodness as I take the time to thank Him publicly, and use my choice of music to show my reverence for the Lord as hearts are turned toward Him.  Now this is what I call a celebration!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can learn a new way to party!

When do I tend to leave God out of my celebrations?

How can I best honor Him as I acknowledge a milestone?

No comments:

Post a Comment