The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Cost of Standing Firm

"When Haman saw that Mordecai would not bow down
or show him respect, 
he was filled with rage.
He had learned of Mordecai's nationality,
so he decided it was not enough 
to lay hands on Mordecai alone.  
Instead, he looked for a way to destroy all the Jews throughout the entire empire of Xerxes."
Esther 3:5-6 NLT



Does it ever feel like doing the right thing costs you dearly?  That whenever you purposefully walk in the way of the righteous that things suddenly start to go wrong?  That repentance takes you down the bumpy road filled with potholes?

I do.  And I bet Mordecai might have felt that way as well.  He had been hiding the fact that he was a Jew living in this foreign land until recently.  His admission drew attention from an evil and vengeful man named Haman.  When Mordecai refused to bow down to Haman, a mere man, an entire race of people were suddenly in jeopardy.  

Mordecai's faithfulness to God and His people cost many dearly.  When it would have been easier to give in to Haman's wishes, Mordecai's respect for God would allow no such response.  Therefore, life got a lot harder.  

What is the cost of staying true to Jesus in a world that denies Him?

Ostracized.  As a human, I'm so much like a little lamb.  I feel more comfortable being a part of a herd and do what I can to keep from being singled out.  It seems more secure to not say anything than to take a stand for my unpopular beliefs and risk being ejected from the safety I find in numbers.

Following Jesus is not a sought-after way of life.  Since I've dedicated my life to Him, at some point I will find myself in the minority in the way I think, the choices I make, or the lifestyle I live.  Therefore, approval and acceptance by people must not be my goal.  Instead, I would be wise to seek to please God in my obedience to His voice and my allegiance to His name.  I will never be sorry that I stood firm in my beliefs.

Staying true to Jesus in a world that denies Him will cost me the false sense of security I find in the crowd.

Wrath.  If I want to unleash the wrath of the world, all I must do is take a stand for godly principles.  Speaking out in favor of the protection of marriage as God defined it, or in defense of vulnerable unborn children, or in support of recognizing God in the public sector will let loose the loud and persuasive voices driving the world's agenda.

Chick-fil-A found this out the hard way when the Christian company's president took a pro-marriage stand, simply stating his agreement with God's definition of the long-standing institution.  Suddenly, he and his company became the focus of a campaign aimed at punishing him for his unpopular beliefs.  His words were twisted and he was publicly and harshly portrayed as one who is a hateful homophobe who "demeans and dehumanizes the LGBT community." *

The fallout has been great as consumer approval has dropped, campaigns have been launched to remove existing Chick-fil-A restaurants from universities, the Jim Henson company ended it's relationship with them and several mayors of large cities have refused to welcome the chain into their metropolitan areas.  The backlash from the LGBT community has been powerful.

Similarly, I can also endure smear campaigns designed to slander my name, or insidious plots to block my professional advancement, or efforts to turn people against me.  Whatever the tactic, I can be sure that God will ultimately protect me and use the hurtful plots of the enemy to grow my faith and build my character,sometimes a hard benefit to value in the midst of the storm (Romans 5:3-5).

Staying true to Jesus in a world that denies Him will unleash the wrath of those invested in worldly principles.

Darkness.  It often seems that the darkness is overtaking the world.  It looks like evil is winning.  I could easily surmise that Satan will have his way.  The reality, however, is that God has never lost control.  He has a plan of redemption that will play out in His perfect timing (1 Thessalonians 5:1-8).  Meanwhile, it is up to me to stand firm and be courageous (1 Corinthians 16:13).

While it may not seem I'm on the winning side, this is the truth.  We are living in a world that is temporarily ruled by an evil warlord.  Still, as a follower of Christ, I have dominion over him and he only has power that I give to him (1 John 4:4).  His true, rightful place is under my heel (Romans 16:20).  Therefore, I must understand that there is more firepower and might with me than there is with the darkness that appears to be dealing devastating blow after devastating blow, if only I would believe it to be so (2 Kings 6:15-17)!

Staying true to Jesus in a world that denies Him means I will look like I'm at the mercy of my enemy.


It's not easy to stand firm in my faith in a world that hates everything for which I persevere.  When I do, I may find myself to be ostracized, the butt of Satan's wrath, and vulnerable to the point of despair.  While there is a cost of standing firm, the eternal benefit will make it all worth it.  So persevere I will!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus instead of on everything that gives me the mistaken feeling that I'm on the losing side.

How do I despair instead of realizing the power there is in Christ?

When do I back down in the face of negative consequences?  

  

  


* Aaron McQuade, Director of News and Field Media at Glaad

   




No comments:

Post a Comment