The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Woe to the Complacent

"Woe to you who are complacent in Zion,
and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria. . .
you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph.
Therefore you will be among the first to go into exile;
your feasting and lounging will end."
Amos 6:1, 6b-7


Luxury cruises while innocent girls are abducted and sold into sex trafficking. 
Flat screen televisions in every room while women make mud cakes for their family's dinner.
Eating out 3-5 times a week while believers struggle under oppressive governments and are routinely abused and tortured by the local police force.

Complacent:  Contented to a fault; Self satisfied and unconcerned.

There is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying the lifestyle I've been given.  It is dangerous, though, to live in comfort and comparative luxury.  Even the poor in America are rich by world standards.  There are plenty of resources available to sustain life.  Even though I may feel like I'm not rich, if I have a roof over my head and eat at least one meal a day, I am very well off.  

How is it dangerous?  I become complacent to the hurting that is going on in the world around me.  I no longer am moved by a suffering child or an oppressed woman.  I have hardened my heart against them as I think At least my family and those I love are safe and taken care of.  I'm sorry for them, but what can I do?  

How long will God bless my abundance?  How much longer will He allow me to feast and lounge in plenty?  When will it be my time to suffer?  Don't get me wrong; I do not want suffering or tragedy to befall this country.  These are simply questions I ask myself as I observe how love has grown cold as bystanders callously watch an injured elderly man suffer in the middle of a busy street, or when neighbors turn a blind eye to the violence carried out in front of them, or as parents cultivate an attitude of entitlement in their children, teaching them a lack of respect for the life God has given to them.  

We are in the end times, of that I am certain.  But what does this mean for me?  How do I keep from falling into the temptation of looking just like the wickedness I see around me?  I am in danger of becoming complacent.

Selfless

I feel slightly hungry so I jump in the car and drive up the street to the local fast food restaurant.  I order my favorite meal and within 10 minutes, I am back at home enjoying my food.  Contrast this with food preparation of over a 100 years ago when I would grow my own fruits and vegetables, preserving everything I could for the winter.  I'd tend to a few chickens and a cow out back so that I could have some eggs and milk for my family.  This would mean each morning there was the task of milking and gathering eggs not to mention making bread and preparing the meals.  There was no such thing as fast food.  

While all that work may not sound agreeable, it was a good way of life in that it force people to depend on each other and pull together.  Today, even though I depend on thousands of people to grow, raise, harvest, butcher, prepare, ship, display and sell me my food, I do not know them personally.  It is a process that is far removed from me and somehow sanitized.  I simply choose the pretty package and pay for it at the cashier's stand.  

What results is an attitude that tells me that I'm pretty important and I don't need to worry about anyone else. I only live for today.  As long as I'm comfortable right now, that's all that matters.  Who cares about tomorrow or anyone else for that matter?

I must fight against this attitude of complacency.  Jesus said in Matthew 6:21 that, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  If I want a heart that is inclined toward the hurting world,  I must make life my treasure.  Not my life, but the lives of others. As Paul taught the believers at Philippi, "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."  (Philippians 2:4)   When others hurt, I want to hurt.  If someone is hungry, may those pangs penetrate my stomach.  For those who suffer, may my heart grieve.  

Fighting against complacency means I must seek to notice the suffering around me.  

Secure

In many ways, I feel untouchable.  I know the dangers that exist in the world, but I have this false sense of security that comes from living in a fairly safe place.  I've always had a roof over my head and food on the table.  I've never really gone without.  I feel pretty protected.  The problem is, my sense of security does not always come from knowing God is with me, but in my position in life and in the possessions I own.  

Job lived a very secure life.  He was wealthy and enjoyed respect in the marketplace as well as with his large family.  He had it good.  Suddenly, he lost all his wealth and his children, all in one day.  His health even declined.  As he sat in ashes, scraping his wounds, you'd think he hit rock bottom.  But in that position of suffering he was able to say, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (Job 2:10)

Job understood something I haven't quite comprehended.  My life is completely at the mercy of God's will.  Sure, everything is well now and it may be for years to come.  But God is not here for me; I am here for God!  He can do what He wants.  

If I were able to change my perspective and stop placing my sense of security in my place in life, my position in my family, my good health or in the stuff I possess, maybe I would have a clue as to where my refuge truly lies.  

David knew.  He said, "I love you, O LORD, my strength.  The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies."  (Psalm 18:1-3)

If I can truly place my trust in God as my strength, then my circumstances won't matter; I'll feel safe and secure. . . and I will be safe and secure.  When I put my faith anywhere else, I may feel safe. . .but I won't be safe.  

I don't want to be like a deer grazing upwind from a cougar.  She may think everything is okay, but danger is right around the corner and she is without defense.  I would much rather graze in my Father's green pastures where He shepherds me so I will fear no evil even when the shadow of death falls upon me.  His goodness and mercy will overflow in my life when I dwell in His house.  (Psalm 23)

Fighting against complacency means I need to be insecure in my own resources, but completely at rest in His stronghold.

Compassionate

There is one line in "Hosanna" performed by Hillsong which perfectly describes compassion.  It says, "Break my heart for what breaks yours."  I think that is the essence of compassion.  As you praise our Father in heaven as you listen to "Hosanna," meditate on His great love and concern for His people.  What hurts God?  When His children suffer under oppression, hunger, pain, cruelty, evil.  God is a caring and gentle God. 



As one who is made in His image, I am also able to live my life compassionately,  caring about the plight of the widow who is struggling to raise her grandchildren; or about the elderly man who is all alone with no one to care for him;  or of the rebellious teenager who is scorned and abused at home by an overpowering father. 

There is so much hurting in this world.  How I respond to such things as sexual impurity among our youth, violence, lack of regard for life, abortion, sex trafficking, slavery to name a few, shows where my allegiance lies.  Am I more concerned about my comfort, or am I willing to take a risk and help out someone in need?  

Fighting against complacency means I need to ask God to break my heart for what breaks His.


It is easy to become comfortable in my own life and not care about anyone else.  But as a follower of Christ, I must fight against this attitude.  I can ask God to help me to be selfless, secure in Him, and compassionate.  Taking on the attitude like that of Christ Jesus is the antidote for complacency.  

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can will care about those around me.

How do I get sucked into the "every man for himself" kind of outlook?

When do I feel secure in my position in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment