The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Plumb Line

"Then the Lord said,
'Look, I am setting a plumb line
among my people Israel;'"
Amos 7:8

"For what the law was powerless to do
in that it was weakened by the sinful nature,
God did by sending his own Son
in the likeness of sinful man
to be a sin offering.
And so he condemned sin in sinful man,
in order that the righteous requirements of the law
might be fully met in us,
who do not live according to the sinful nature
but according to the Spirit."
Romans 8:3-4


My husband and I are working on a project together out in our yard; we are building a patio area.  As we were digging it out and working to make the ground level, we also needed to dig a straight edge between the yard and where the blocks would begin.  I thought we could just eyeball it, but my husband thought it would be wise to set a plumb line to guide us.  It turned out this was a good idea because the line provided a stable reference point which we could use to direct our judgement as we dug into the turf.  Without it, the edge we were cutting was a little skewed.   I may think I have a pretty good eye, but once we lay the bricks there would be no fudging; either the edge is straight or it's crooked.

It's the same way with me and my own righteousness.  I can go by my own sense of right and wrong and, depending upon my mood, temperament and energy levels that day, I'm either doing pretty darn good or I'm a complete failure.  I need a plumb line to serve as a stable reference point; my own standard is too fickle.

God has provided this "plumb line" in His Word.  As I study His Word, I can see where I'm crooked, or falling short of His standard.  When I use His Word as a benchmark instead of just a manual or list of suggestions, I find that I am pretty warped and twisted.  I'm not at all as good as I think I am when I "eyeball it."

So what hope do I have?  God expects me to toe the line, but I find myself way off the mark.  Is there any hope for a crooked girl like me?  Thankfully, there is.

Powerless

I attended traffic court with a friend of mine the other day.  As I sat with her while she waited for her name to be called, we had to watch a video describing the court procedures and informing us of our rights as citizens.  We were told that we had the right to request an attorney and that it was foolish to represent yourself.  It went through information describing what we could expect and how the procedures would progress.  By the time the 10 minute video was over, we were ready to request a defense attorney and were terrified that my friend would be hauled off to jail for her "failure to yield' ticket.  

My friend knew she was guilty and was prepared to pay the fine for her violation.  Sitting there watching that video, though, knowing that she was at the mercy of the court, she felt powerless against those who were enforcing the law that she broke.

It's the same way with me and God.  I sit in His courtroom, completely guilty of sinning against Him.  I know He has the power to send me to my death because I have violated His laws.  The commandments show me that I'm wrong, but they give me no way out; no recourse against my offenses.  I need a defense attorney!

Even though the law clearly shows me that I don't measure up to God's standard, it has no power to save me.  

Sinless Sacrifice  

I have no power against the law of gravity.  I can jump as high as I am able, but I will always fall back to the ground.  In order to break free from that law, I need a force beyond what I can muster in my own strength.  When I climb aboard a 747 airplane, the power of it's jet engine along with the law of aerodynamics combine to lift me off the ground and fly me 35,000 feet up in the air.  I am free from the law of gravity.

Similarly, in order for me to break free from the bonds of sin and the death that God requires for my disobedience, I need a power beyond myself.  God provided the solution to my sin problem when He sent His Son Jesus to earth in the form of a sinful man so that He could take my punishment.  He is the power I need to break free from the constraints God's law has on me.  

After my friend and I watched that intimidating yet informative video in the courtroom, the arresting officer called her name.  He asked her if she was ready to pay the fine or did she want to contest the charges.  She chose the former and was told she was free to go as soon as she settled the fees.  Soon, we were walking out the door.  

Unlike the above scenario with my friend, I have no ability in this life to pay the penalty for the crime.  Death is the only payment.  When Jesus sacrificed His life, my sin was wiped away and I now appear as white as snow as I stand before the Judge.  It's as if Jesus were my defense attorney and He told the judge that He took the punishment for my crimes. . .and the judge tells me I'm free to go. 

What the law is unable to do, Jesus freely chose to accomplish: His sinless sacrifice set me free from the punishment I deserve.

Righteous Requirements Met

When my friend walked out of that courtroom, her transgression was behind her.  According to the laws of South Carolina, her record was now clean.  But when she again got behind the wheel of her van, she was still bound to follow those laws.  Her exoneration did not free her from the responsibility to still keep the laws of the land.

In the same way, my freedom from the punishment my sin deserves does not free me from the requirement God expects from His people.  He still wants me to do things His way.  But I have this thing called a sinful nature hanging over me all the time.  It wants to do what is contrary to God's law.  So what difference is there between me before Jesus and me after accepting Him as my Savior?  

Before I knew Jesus, I was a slave to sin.  I had no other choice but to do as my flesh desired.  Whatever came naturally, that's what I was bound to do.  After Jesus, however, I received the gift of His Spirit dwelling within me.  His Spirit offers a way out, another option besides simply doing as my selfish, sinful self directs.  Instead, I can follow His prompting, obey His nudging, and do things they way His Spirit is encouraging and empowering me to do them.  When I follow His Spirit and walk in step with Him, I will meet His righteous requirements.  

No longer will I need to try really hard to do the right thing.  Instead, I need only walk beside Him and pay attention to His lead.

It's kind of like when I take our dogs for a walk every morning.  When they are walking in step with me, I can tell.  They pay attention to every move I make and are very sensitive to any change in my pace, direction or demeanor.  They respond immediately to these changes and make adjustments accordingly.  There are the times, however, when they are caught up in their own agenda like when they see a squirrel dart off to the side and are ready to give chase.  No longer do they care what I'm doing because they have their own plan.

This is how I can be with God's Spirit.  He is within me, constantly giving me feedback, ready to lead me down the path of life.  Am I paying attention to His every move?  Or am I too caught up in my own will, distracted by enticing temptations?  He still requires that I live life His way, despite my own frailties.  He does not, however, leave me without help.   As Oswald Chambers said, "God not only expects me to do His will, but He is in me to do it."

Not only am I free from the punishment of my sin, I am also free from the constraints of following my sinful desires through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives inside of me.


I need God's plumb line to show me how crooked I am.  But His law does nothing to save me.  It only shows me where I'm wrong.  I need Jesus to act as my defense attorney, taking my sentence for my disobedience and also to enable me to meet His high standard when I live according to the prompting of His indwelling Spirit.  This crooked girl does have hope after all!


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will be sensitive to the leading of God's Spirit.

How do I try to do things in my own strength instead of relying on His leading?

When do I get distracted from following His lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment