The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Great Hope

"'The glory of this present house will be greater
than the glory of the former house,'
says the LORD Almighty."
Haggai 2:9



Oh man, I really blew it this time.  I'm not sure if there's any hope left for me.  I've thought this many times throughout my life, especially when I battle with the strongholds of sin in my life.  As a follower of Jesus, though, I always have hope.  His sacrifice on the cross covered all my sins, even those I haven't even committed yet.  

I constantly must remind myself that Jesus did not come into the world to condemn me, but to save me and that in Him I  no longer have to carry the responsibility for my own sins.  I don't have to worry that I will get what I deserve for my rebellion and inability to meet God's standards.  Instead, I have a hope through faith in Jesus Christ that never fades.

It's not only my own sin, however, that taints my life.  Many times, I suffer the consequences of others' actions.  I need not lose hope during these times, either, for Jesus has covered those sins and given me the ability and power to forgive.  

When I let go of the hurt and anger that results from being wounded by others, I am allowing Jesus to bear the brunt of the pain.  If, however, I stubbornly cling to my bitterness, I will suffer a slow and painful kind of death as I bear a load I was not meant to carry.  My heart will not be at peace and my body will break down under the pressure.  The consequence of living in a fallen world means I will come in contact with sin on a regular basis.  Life here is not as God originally designed it to exist: there is pain and anguish.

When I do come into contact with difficulties, whether it be as a result of my sin or someone else's, it should not, then, be a surprise.  As Oswald Chambers said, "Sin and sorrow and suffering are, and it is not for us to say that God has made a mistake in allowing them."  

The glory I can look forward to after the trials, however, is greater than I could ever imagine.  I do have a great hope through faith in Jesus Christ!

Testing


It was one health problem after another: pain wracked her body and her limbs would not cooperate in even the simplest of tasks.  Try as she might, she just couldn't bring herself to eat: There seemed to be no end to her suffering.  Even though her life looked to be filled with pain and affliction, my friend refused to turn her back on God.  There is no denying that He had allowed this and He could easily take it away.  

Like Job, however, she maintains that God has given her many good things in her life and it is up to Him if He wants to take some things away.  My friend is looking at God as the Sovereign head of all creation and she refuses to give up on Him.  She has God in the correct perspective.  

Jesus reminded us in Matthew 6:26 of what is important.  He asks, "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"  It is easy for me to give myself and my comfort, dreams and expectations the most important position in my life. I can go after these things instead of pursuing my relationship with God. When I do this and things go differently than I planned, I feel frustrated, upset and even betrayed.  This is not how my life is supposed to turn out!  

If, however, I give God the top honor and position of authority in my life, I can be like my friend and accept whatever comes my way; good or bad.   No matter what the outcome, I will be at peace because my relationship with God will remain intact.  At the end of time, Jesus "will reward each person according to what he has done." (v27)

If I stay true to God through the trials and testing times of life, He will not forget my wholehearted devotion to Him.

Persecution

Earlier this month, a Hindu man named Manesor Rabha who lived in India accepted Jesus as his Savior, immediately putting his life at risk.  Consequently, he went into hiding but a mob of forty Hindu radicals broke into his home and severely beat his wife and two Christian men who were guarding her because of their refusal to recant their faith in Jesus.  One was left barely breathing and all three were left with serious injuries that required hospitalization. 

Although this kind of violence is rarely seen in America, it is commonplace in other parts of the world.  The Apostle Paul warned us that, "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (2 Timothy 3:12)  Persecution like what Daniel suffered under Babylonian rule is to be expected.  

Daniel drew the scorn of many in high places because of his refusal to bow down to any god but the One True God.  As a result, Daniel was thrown into the lions' den but God was faithful to not only protect him but to actually deliver him from all harm.  Even more miraculous, however was the witness Daniel gave of the One and Only God's power and sovereignty.  The Babylonian king Darius afterwards acknowledged Him as the Living God.

In a similar way, Jesus warned me that some may target me for my faith in Him.  Just as Mr. Rabha discovered, taking a stand for Jesus will bring the wrath of evil down upon me, but He said not to worry.  He Himself will give me the words and wisdom that no one can withstand.  I should expect that even those closest to me may betray me and that many will hate me because of Jesus.  "But not a hair of your head will perish.  By standing firm you will gain life." (Luke 21:18) In this way, many who otherwise would never know the gospel will hear the message of the cross.

There is a reason men like Mr. Rabha can stand up under persecution.  God's Spirit empowers me to take a stand as I remember that this life is not all there is.  Jesus said, "Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil because of the Son of Man.  Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven." (Luke 6:22-23)

Even though I naturally avoid harassment and maltreatment like the plague, Jesus almost makes it sound like something I should desire.  Since it comes with a great reward in heaven, it must be important to God.  Maybe my comfort and protection here on earth should not be my uppermost focus.

If I disregard my own safety and security and instead take a stand for Jesus, my suffering will be rewarded in heaven.

Object of Ridicule

Faithfully, day after day, he walked the halls of the school, placing his hand on each locker and praying.  He lifted the students, faculty and staff up to God and asked for revival.  For years he dependably and anonymously performed this act of love.  Finally, the people in the community began realizing a renewing of their faith in Jesus.  Many gave their lives to Him and were transformed.  The harvest had come!

Walking the halls of any school in this country and praying openly is just the kind of thing that could make me the laughing stock of the community.  Mordecai was another faithful, humble man of God who stood as a silent beacon of God.  He lived in a foreign, pagan society in which every kind of belief system was tolerated, except the truth.  Each day he stood at the king's gate in a silent show of support to his cousin and adopted daughter, Queen Esther.  To Haman, the second in command to the king, he was, however, an object of ridicule.

Everyone bowed to Haman and quivered at the very sight of him. . . everyone, that is, except Mordecai.  It is easy to cave into peer pressure or especially to the demands of a godless government.  If I don't toe the line, who know what could happen to me?  

But just like Mordecai humbly and quietly refused to compromise his beliefs, I can continue on the path God has called me, even in the face of ridicule.  Even if no one around me supports me.  Even if I'm the only one who understands why I'm doing what I'm doing.  God knows.  Fittingly, He sent these words of encouragement to me when I am ready to give up.  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  (Galatians 6:9)

If I keep on keepin' on even in the face of ridicule or rejection, God has promised a great harvest.


This life is filled with suffering, persecution and scorn, but if I stay true to God and the calling He has placed on my life there will be much celebrate once I make it to my true home in heaven!

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will stay true to God's calling on my life.

How do I cave into the pressure around me and fail to take a stand for Jesus?

When is it easiest for me to take the safe road instead of the way that reveals the Gospel



No comments:

Post a Comment