The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Reputation

"The king said to Daniel,
'May your God,
whom you serve continually,
rescue you!'"
Daniel 6:16b


Christian musician Bill Gaither tells the story of when he and his then newlywed wife, Gloria, approached a retired banker for a few acres of land where they could build a house.  The landowner had promised the land to the local farmers for cattle grazing.  When he realized the young man standing before him was the grandson of one of his former employees, however, he changed his mind and sold the young couple 15 acres for a price that was a fraction of what it was worth.  

What caused the retiree to revise his opinion?  The hardworking, honest reputation of Bill's grandfather.  The book of Proverbs says, "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1)  

While it is good that Grandpa Gaither earned a good name through hard work and integrity, I want people to think of God when they think of me.  I don't so much want others to tie my name to good things for my own sake.  Rather, I'd hope that I earn a reputation much like that of some men found in the pages of the Bible who truly lived out their faith in a way that impacted the world around them.

Continually Serving God

His name was linked to the One True God from the moment he set foot in the Babylonian palace for training.  God's ways were always more important to him than the customs and traditions of the new culture in which he was placed.  Even though it meant he'd look as out of place as a snowman would in July, he stayed true to the Lord. 

Due to Daniel's faithful loyalty to the God he loved, the kings he served and no doubt others he came in contact with couldn't help but take note of the greatness of his God.  Pagan kings Nebuchadnezzar and Darius both came to an acknowledgment of the One True God's sovereignty and power through Daniel's life example.

Maybe this is what Jesus meant when he said, "You are the salt of the earth."  (Matthew 5:13)  Salt is a preservative, flavor enhancer, antiseptic and cleanser among a myriad of other uses.  As a jar of clay holding the precious and powerful Spirit of God, my presence in this world makes it a better place.  The scattering of His Spirit among all of humanity helps to add His characteristics and especially His love to a world that is lost without Him. 

Daniel inspires me to live each moment for Jesus, making the most of every opportunity and not being afraid to look different than everyone else as I obey His calling on my life.

Devoted to God

If anyone needed help, they went to the most influential man in the East.  Everyone knew they could trust him both in the way he conducted business as well as in his personal affairs.  If he said he would help, he could always be counted on and the animals in his flocks and herds were the best in the region.  Making a purchase from him was always a wise decision.  One thing he had no tolerance for was dirty dealings or cruel or unseemly ways.

There was no doubt about it; Job was a man devoted to God.  His reputation was one of honesty and integrity and everyone knew it.  My life is also a billboard for something.  Whether I know it or not, I am either advertising for God or for myself.  When people observe my life and the way I conduct my affairs, they either notice the characteristics of God and His fruit, or they just perceive my own flesh.

How much of God's love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control are evident in my day-to-day existence depends upon how much of my own will and flesh I have turned over to Jesus.  When He died on the cross, He provided a way for me to cast my own natural tendencies upon Him, leaving more room for His Spirit to show through.  As I die to myself, I can live for Christ.

Job inspires me to live a life of Godly devotion in which His characteristics are most evident to all with whom I come in contact.

Trusting God     

They hated him.  He was the favored one.  In fact, their father even gave him a special coat to wear making him an even bigger target among his brothers.  He always got away with everything and their father gave him fewer chores and responsibilities.  Needless to say, his brothers were jealous of his position in the family.

Joseph ended up being sold into slavery by the very ones who despised his existence.  Once a servant, he was thrown into jail for a crime he didn't commit.  Through it all, however, Joseph maintained his faith in God.  And the favor of the Lord was upon him.  Consequently, everything he put his hands to succeeded and he was given much responsibility.  

Once he finally came into the presence of the Pharaoh himself to interpret a dream, his reputation as a man of wisdom and good judgment had grown.  As the Egyptian leader placed Joseph into the position of second in command of the entire nation, he said, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you."  (Genesis 41:39)

Pharaoh knew it was God who made Joseph special, not the young man's own effort, upbringing or heritage.  Joseph had made the source of his abilities abundantly clear.    When Pharaoh said he had heard that Joseph could interpret dreams, Joseph said, "I cannot do it. . .but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires."  (Genesis 41:16)

I, too, can point to God as the giver of all good things in my life.  How easy it is, instead, to take credit myself.  I worked hard to earn that position, or I deserve a nice vacation.  But if I give God the honor and the glory, then I am truly acknowledging Him as the source.  "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  (James 1:17)

Joseph inspires me to always give credit to God as the one who dispenses blessings, gifts, talents and all other good things in my life.


My reputation is important, but not as it reflects on me.  Rather, the way others perceive me says a lot about Who I follow.  Daniel reminds me to persevere, Job to live uprightly and Joseph to give God the credit for any gifts He has given to me.  These are the kind of reputations that are worth their weight in gold.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that my life will point others to Jesus.

How do I tend to draw attention to myself instead of to God?

When do I forget that I'm Christ's ambassador to a fallen world?

No comments:

Post a Comment