The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Defender

"Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king,
'O Nebuchadnezzar,
we do not need to defend ourselves 
before you in this matter.
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace,
the God we serve is able to save us from it,
and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.
But even if he does not,
we want you to know, O king,
that we will not serve your gods
or worship the image of gold you have set up.'"
Daniel 3:16-18


They were in trouble.  Daniel's friends had set themselves against the ruling power, defying his order to worship the golden statue set up in plain sight of everyone in Babylon.  It's not like this king would overlook their rebellion.  No, he would deal with it and make an example out of the defiant Jewish exiles.  No foreigner would make a fool out of him, he would make sure of that.

King Nebuchadnezzar did his best to make an example out of Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, a.k.a. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the most brutal and hazardous way possible.  He ordered the furnace to be cranked up to a temperature seven times hotter than usual.  As soon as it was ready, the three young men were tied up.  But even as they stood before the blazing inferno, the trio did not back down.  They showed their faith in a God who is able to save but entirely sovereign.  The "how" of their salvation would be up to Him.  The oven they faced was so hot that even the soldiers who threw them in gave their lives for their king's stubborn resolve. 

God did save them in a most spectacular way, protecting them from injury in the midst of the blaze and delivering them unharmed with not a hair on their head singed nor the smell of fire upon them. 

The same can be true for me as I face the trials and tribulations of this life.  I may not be up against a literal fiery furnace, but their are many difficulties I must cope with in this life.  As a member of His family, the Lord has promised to defend me from attack, to protect me from harm, and to deliver me from evil.  There is nothing I need fear with the LORD of heaven and earth backing me up.

Isaiah 43 expresses this truth beautifully when the LORD reassured His people.  "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned." (v 1b-2)

As I confront the hardships and suffering of this day may I remember that I have nothing to fear; my Defender is with me.

My Light

I need look no further than the morning news to know that I live in a dark and evil world.  Violence, abuse, complacency, selfishness, brutality, and greed rule the headlines.  It is easy to give up hope, thinking that all is lost.  It's less difficult for me to go with the flow then to stand in the middle of the current as the force threatens to overtake me.   What is the point of living for God when evil is winning?

It may look like the darkness will overtake me but Jesus warned me the times would get darker as the end drew near and encouraged me to stand strong until the end.  John reminded me of the teaching of Jesus that, "God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.  So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth.  But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:5-7)

As a daughter of the King, there are many dark places I have no business visiting. When I'm drawn toward the territory of getting the upper hand or looking out for my own interests above all others', I can draw on the power found in the light that can instead humble me into an attitude like that of Christ Jesus.

When I slip into worry or depression, I can remember to let Him carry my load so that His peace will guard my heart and mind from further darkness.  

When I wander down the path of comfort and pleasure, seeking only to please my own desires, I can remember that when I delight myself in the Lord, He will give me new passions. 

Jesus is my light.  If I make Him the only source of illumination to guide my path, I have nothing to fear.  


My Salvation

The tiny, baby birds were so innocent and vulnerable, fluttering around on the ground beneath my hanging ferns.  As I watered the plants a few minutes before, I had inadvertently washed the young finches out of the nest their parents had painstakingly built in the center of the greenery.  These defenseless creatures need saving since they were unable to fly.  I lowered the plant down to the ground and carefully placed them back in their home.  The parents soon returned and quickly relocated their little family.  So much for act of heroics!  

If I were to see myself as God views me, maybe I would see a weak and defenseless creature, unable to protect myself from harm or save myself from my appetite for trouble, kind of like those baby finches.  I don't want to stray away from where I know God wants me, but my wandering eye entices me away.  I may see another route that seems more scenic but takes me to a different destination, or it may be that I'm unsatisfied with my present situation and drawn to search for something more exciting.  Whatever it is that takes me off the path, I'm easily lured away from God.

Thankfully, I have a Good Shepherd to save me from myself and bring me safely back to the fold.  There are other times when I need saving from danger.  Perhaps it seems everyone is out to get me or trouble just seems to find me.  My health is declining, my family is crumbling, my life is out of control.  No matter what the threat, I can trust in God to either rescue me from it, carry me through it, or deliver me by it.  Whichever way, God will save me. I have nothing to fear.

As vulnerable and weak as I am, I am in need of a Savior who is Jesus Christ my Lord. 

My Stronghold

I remember climbing the steep hill to medieval castle, wondering who would have been able to successfully attack this structure during it's heyday.  As I crossed over the draw bridge, I looked down into a deep moat.  The walls surrounding the fortress were several feet thick, strongly guarding all who lived within it's barricade.  There was no doubt in my mind that whoever lived in this home would be safe regardless of the size of the threat. 

Even though modern ages don't call for taking this same kind of precautions in our homes, I am still threatened in my ways.  But God has promised to serve as my fortress.  The vultures may circle, predators may prowl and enemies may threaten but I can stand safely in my refuge.  The Apostle Paul reminds me that, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"  (Romans 8:31)  There is not threat that can stand against the Almighty!

It kind of reminds me of this Great Pyrenee dog that lived on the corner near my rural childhood home.  When I had to ride my bike or jog past the house, I would tread lightly for fear of disturbing the sleeping giant.  If he sensed my presence, he would charge me, growling, barking and shaking his head as saliva foamed from his mouth.  I was terrified of this big hairy beast!  

Early one morning I picked up a large rock as I made my way toward his house.  When I saw him crossing the threshold of the ditch and enter the roadway, I charge him, throwing the rock with all my might.  At the sight of the victim becoming attacker, the canine retreated with his tail between his legs, yelping back down the driveway.  I've got your number  I thought.  All bark and no bite.  I knew this dog would not really attack me; but he sure put on a good show!

Similarly, the threats I encounter on a regular basis truly have no power over me as I keep in mind that God is my protection.  Whatever comes my way, whether it be physical, spiritual or emotional, I can stand strong under the hand of the One who made all things, is the Author of my life plan and who treasures me above all that He has made. 

 As danger threatens, I can stand firm when I place my trust in God as my refuge.  


There is no doubt that Daniel's friends faced life-threatening danger.  They had every reason to be afraid, but they did not fear because they knew their God was up for the job.  If I trust Him in the same way, I can rely on His light to guide me through the darkness, allow Him to save me from danger, and rest in the middle of the storm as He wraps His loving arms around me to form a safe place.

It is then that I will claim God as my Defender and can say with confidence that "The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear?  The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand strong in the midst of the fire, knowing that God will deliver me.  

How do I get distracted by the darkness and walk out of the Light?

When is it easy for me to give up hope, forgetting that the very power of God is just a prayer away?

No comments:

Post a Comment