The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Watchman

"If the watchman sees the sword coming 
and does not blow the trumpet
to warn the people
and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them,
that man will be taken away because of his sin,
but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood."
Ezekiel 33:6



During Medieval times, a watchman kept post on the city wall or other high place, constantly on the lookout for any signs of danger.  If a threat was perceived, the watchman would sound an alarm to warn the people.

In the same way, Ezekiel was called to be a watchman for the house of Israel.  As a prophet, it was his job to relay messages from God to the people, warning them to turn from their wicked ways or face the consequences.

Today we have many messages from this watchman to help keep us on alert, but like the people of Ezekiel's time, we say, "'Come and hear the message that has come from the LORD.'" (Ezekiel 33:30b)  Then God revealed the truth when He told the prophet that, "My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice.  With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain." (verse 31)

How do we stay on-task during such evil times?  It is easy to get sucked into the way of thinking, living and speaking like the world around us.  Temptations are everywhere.  But I am not left without defense.  The Apostle Paul reminds me that, ". . . in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." (Romans 12:5)

We are placed in community to help each other keep from danger and we are each accountable to one another for our actions.  

Confession

We sat on the porch, enjoying the coolness of the evening.  Well, maybe my friend was enjoying it, but my insides were twisted into a knot.  God had put it on my heart to confess a certain area of sin to my sister in Christ.  Now, as the time came near to " 'fess up", I considered backing out.  What will she think of me?  

My gracious friend received the news with love and mercy.  And as I relieved myself from the burden, I found something else to be true: After I confessed, it was as if a burden had been lifted. No longer was this a deep, dark secret. . . it was out in the open.  

Incredibly, that confession was the end of that sin.  Once I revealed the dark secret and let the Light shine upon it, that sin no longer had power over me and the temptation to succumb had vanished.  


James addressed this area of acknowledgement of sin to one another in his letter to the believers scattered among the nations.  In reminding us of the importance of prayer he said, ". . .confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:16)


I had experienced this healing that James spoke about.  Exposing my sin to the Light gave my sister the opportunity to pray for me, putting into motion the power of God in my life.  In turn, she was also able to fulfill the law of Christ by carrying my burden. (Galatians 6:2)


If I am to be accountable to my brother or sister in Christ, I will need to be honest about my areas of sin.  Confession leads to a relief of my burden and healing in this area of sin.


Live out Loud

I have heard it said that hurting people are more likely to unload their burdens at the local bar than in church.  One reason is because they won't find any condemnation in the saloon, but another explanation is that people are more authentic when they're out having a good time than they would be when they're sitting in church.  For some reason, we seem to think we need to be on our best behavior in church, putting up a front that everything is okay and I'm actually a pretty decent human being.

This runs counter to the message of the gospel!  "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  (Romans 5:8)  We don't have to be clean and perfect in order to step foot in church.  Instead, God accepts us as we are, flaws and all.  He redeemed me from the clutches of death by no effort or sense of worth on my part.  It is not my worthiness that makes me able to come into the presence of God.  Rather, it is the blood of Jesus that makes me clean and able to come into His company.

Why, then, do I insist on pretending that I'm someone I'm not?  Why do I think I need to be perfect in order to be acceptable enough to worship God in a group setting?  The church is made up of a bunch of broken people!  Until I can be honest enough to live transparently, openly admitting to my sins, the church will never feel like a safe place to confess areas of struggle.

As the Apostle Paul told the group of believers at Colosse, "Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator."  (Colossians 3:9-10)

I am a work in progress, and as such will have many rough spots left to be smoothed by my Master Potter.  I am no longer condemned, therefore I am free from the fear of punishment from my sin.  There is no need for me to hide my struggles, except to save face.  My pride encourages me to pretend I'm better than I am, but that kind of effort can be exhausting.  The sobering thought is that the One whose opinion of me should matter most, is the One who already know my heart.  I'm not fooling Him.. . and I'm probably not pulling the wool over anyone else's eyes, either.

If my reputation is more important to me than living in the way God intended, then I will be robbed of the blessing and peace found in living transparently with my family.

Submission  

There is nothing more humiliating and embarrassing to a parent than their children fighting and bickering in public.  I remember one family who I met when we were decorating the tree in the Army chapel we had just started attending.  I actually hadn't even met them, but had already formed an opinion about the lack of cohesiveness and respect within their family by observing the way the teenage sisters interacted with each other.  
"You're so stupid.  Why are you even here?"
"Shut up!  Just leave me alone, you moron!"
Their bickering lowered a blanket of negativity over the otherwise festive gathering.

As dramatic as the above scenario seemed, it pales in comparison to the kind of fights that take place today within the body of Christ.  Arguments range from disputes over the color of carpeting to be installed in the foyer to the kind of study that should be used on Wednesday evening services.  The world outside shakes it's head in disgust, not surprised that those who act "holier than thou" are really just as bad as the rest of us.

James reveals the reasons for our bickering.  He said, "What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don't get it."  (James 1:1-2)  

The Apostle Paul reveals the antidote to fighting.  "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." (Ephesians 5:21)  If I let Brother Tom have his way with the choice of carpet color, I am showing respect for Jesus, who is the head of the Church.  If I insist on doing things the way I want and dig my heals in, I am saying through my actions that getting my way is more important that Christ. 

When I get along with the Body of Christ, God is lifted high to those who are watching. Therefore, I am instructed to, "become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which your shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life." (Philippians 2:15-16)

I should not give unbelievers something to talk about in the way I interact with my family.  If I insist on getting my way, I will cause a disagreement or argument, making Jesus look bad.

Submitting to my brothers and sisters in Christ is an influential testimony to the power of God found in the gospel.



I am accountable for my actions to the family of God.  Consequently, I can learn to openly confess my sins when appropriate, live my life transparently for all to see the grace of God, and to submit to others out of reverence for Christ.

I can either live for my own best interest, or I can live as God intended.   Only one way will glorify Him. 


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will live as God intended.

How do I put up a front of perfection instead of letting others see my faults?

When do I tend to take a stand for something that will not glorify God, but will simply serve to get me what I want?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that was a blow to the head! Thinking of all the times I fought with my siblings because I wanted my way, even fighting with God.
    Thank you for writing this. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can relate. I always want my way! I'm glad this challenged you, as it did me. God is faithful to continue to grow us into the image of His Son!

      Delete