The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Stand in the Gap

"I looked for a man among them
who would build up the wall
and stand before me in the gap
on behalf of the land
so that I would not have to destroy it,
but I found none."
Ezekiel 22:30




Friday the 13th is an unlucky day.
A rabbit's foot brings good luck.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
To find a four leaf clover is to find good luck.
If you walk under a ladder you will have bad luck.
If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck.
Breaking a mirror will bring you seven years of bad luck.
Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

These are common superstitions that I have heard from the time I was a child.  Although I wouldn't say I believed these false notions, I am familiar with them and don't completely discount them.  I won't purposefully walk under a ladder, for instance, and the sight of a field of clovers always reminds me of the searches I conducted in my youth for the elusive four-leaf variety.

Luck has to do with chance, not purpose or design.  All of these seemingly harmless sayings and beliefs are an affront to the One and Only God who set all things in motion and in His sovereignty controls the universe.

How many silly beliefs do I allow into my life as a part of my consciousness?  Am I willing to stand in the gap of the wall of God's teachings, correcting untruths, repairing damage done by false beliefs and traditions, and building up the ways of the Lord in my home, neighborhood and community?

The wall around the holy city of Jerusalem was destroyed by the Babylonian army in 586 B.C.  In 445 B.C., Nehemiah led the effort to repair the walls, symbolizing the restoration of a nation devoted to God and His law.

In the same way, God is calling me to stand in the gap, to rebuild the walls destroyed by a culture that exalts self and worships celebrities, that falsely teaches that there are many ways to God and the truth is whatever you believe it to be.  


Could it be that God has placed me here for such a time as this?  

Know the Truth

Before an attorney can argue a case before a judge, he or she must know the law.  She must spend hours studying the law itself, previous rulings which interpreted these laws found in the case law records, and analyses of the law.  

Likewise, as one who claims to follow Christ, I must take the study of His Word seriously. The Bible is no ordinary book, however.  Studying it is not the same as analyzing the law or other scholarly text.   No, "For the word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrated even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Studying God's Word will challenge me, teach me, warn me, correct me, and train me in righteousness so that I will be ready to do good things in His name. Scrutinizing and learning God's Word accomplishes more than imparting knowledge, it serves to transform my mind.  

Before I can agree to stand in the gap left by false teachings I must know the truth so that I will recognize the falsehoods. 


Take a Stand

It is believed, although not substantiated, that 18th Century philosopher Edmund Burke said, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."  A cursory glance at history will confirm the truth behind this premise: Humans do not want to rock the boat, step outside our comfort zone or go against the majority.

I may not be faced with blatant evil, but darkness exists all around me.  Co-workers joke about the latest sitcom episode in which God's name is maligned and His values mocked.  Loud music filled with profanity and messages uplifting the degradation of women reach the ears of youngsters playing in the neighborhood.  A friend offers to loan me a book written by a preacher known for a teaching that plays to my selfish desire for happiness but denies the truth of the Gospel.   

These are all examples of opportunities when I can take a stand for God's ways.  The Apostle Paul gives me some strong advice as he closes his letter to the believers at Corinth.  He said, "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong."  He encouraged me to watch out for false teachings, dig my heals in to keep from being drug along by accepted ways of thinking, to be brave enough to go against popular opinion and to be tough enough to not take any attacks personally.

This kind of action must also be taken on by the church as a Body.  As speaker and author Mary Nelson said, "The church is the glue that keeps us together when we disagree.  It is the gasoline that keeps us going during the tough times.  It is the guts that enables us to take risks when we need to."  

There is no need for me to act as a "Lone Ranger," roaming around looking for false teachings and standing alone against them.  Although there will be times when I am personally called to action, there are also many times in which the Body needs to stand together for the Truth.

The time to take a stand for God's ways and His Word is now, before the Truth is diluted down to a watery story, devoid of the power to save.

Rooted in Love

There is a Romanian proverb that says, "You will catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a gallon of vinegar."  Although the only reason to catch flies, in my opinion, would be to kill them, there is a point to this saying that I don't want to miss.  If I want to get my point across, I must be kind and respectful.  As the saying goes, "No one will care what you know until they know that you care."

As followers of Christ, we are to be known for our love.  Not my love, but the love of Christ.  Love is our distinguishing feature, our flag of identity, our characteristic attribute.  So often, though, we are known more for what we are against.  

When I am rooting a plant cutting, the best medium to use is moist soil, contrary to popular belief.  A plant rooted in soil will form stronger roots than those rooted in water, giving it a better chance to survive once the plant's roots are established.  Then, the strong new plant can be transplanted into it's permanent home.

In a similar way, I am rooted in the love of Jesus, the preferred medium for growing new roots.  His love gives me a better chance at growing as a new believer, encouraging tender new leaves to form as I rest in His love and acceptance.  Once I begin to absorb the nutrients that come with His love, I begin to establish my roots, growing them deeper as they reach toward His living water.  He becomes my most important sustenance and source of love.

This love that flows through me can then pour out to others, unencumbered by fear or judgement.  Love turns a harsh rebuke into a tender question, a cruel verdict into a compassionate caution, or a hard opinion into a caring word of guidance.  

"Speaking the truth in love. . ." is my mantra, helping me to take a stand without inflicting pain and injury. (Ephesians 4:15)


Who will stand in the gap? I will as I learn the Truth so I am equipped to recognize the false teachings all around me and will be able to take a stand in a way that glorifies my loving God.

I will stand in the gap!




As I begin this day, it is my prayer that it will be my highest goal to glorify God in whatever I do.

How do I fail to take a stand for the truth in my daily life?

When do I take a stand, but do it in a harsh and unloving manner?

No comments:

Post a Comment