The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Live for Jesus

"But my people have exchanged their Glory
for worthless idols."
Jeremiah 2:11

"For Christ's love compels us, 
because we are convinced that one died for all,
and therefore all died.
And he died for all,
that those who live should no longer live for themselves
but for him who died for them
and was raised again."
2 Corinthians 5:14-15



Easter is a busy time for American families.  We rush from activity to activity, straining to take it all in and to not miss a single thing.  We want it all; meaning. . .fun. . .significance. . .enjoyment. . tradition. . .it's all a part of the season.  We do what we do out of a sense of obligation, or guilt, or ambition.

Where does God fit into the madness?  Where is God when I'm serving on the food line at the local soup kitchen?  Is God a part of the mad dash for candy-laden Easter eggs?  Can God tag along when I'm shopping for the perfect dress for Sunday morning service?

I am made for God.  He created me in His likeness.  As such, He deserves my undivided attention, devotion and reverence.  It's funny, then, how easily I can change it around to God being there for me.  My flesh being the most visible while none of His attributes shine through.  Me thinking that I deserve all the best there is to be found. 

Me and my self-interest all too easily become an idol that steals glory from God.  He does not idly stand by while I live for myself.  He will not sugar coat the truth.  He will do what He has to do in order to recapture my heart!

Get My Attention

The house suddenly is destroyed by fire.  What was once good health takes a turn for the worse.  A car accident totals the car.  A steady job is abruptly snatched away.  


These are difficulties common to life in this world.  Each one is a tragedy that no one wants to relive but from which few are immune.  Disasters, while seemingly random and by chance, can be tools used by God to get my attention.


God gave the prophet Ezekiel a message that illustrated just this point.  He said, "The people of Israel have set up idols in their hearts and fallen into sin, and then they go to a prophet asking for a message.  So I, the LORD, will give them the kind of answer their great idolatry deserves.  I will do this to capture the minds and hearts of all my people who have turned from me to worship their detestable idols."  (Ezekiel 14:4-5 NLT)


Sometimes the answer I am looking for is not the Truth that I need.  I am not always receptive to the Truth, especially when my life is not right before God.  When my desires have replaced God's desires.  Or when obedience to God has been exchanged for my comfort.  Or the times when my pleasure has traded places with pleasing God.  Everything is topsy-turvy and Jesus is not Lord of my life. . . I am lord of my life.


Consequently, God pulls out the big guns to catch my interest.  In my state of emergency, I am open to the Truth and see how my life has become all about me instead of all about my Savior.


When hard times come my way, it is likely that God is trying to get my attention and recapture my heart so that I will live for Jesus.


Prune

I recently started growing roses and undertook the task of pruning them back before the spring growth appeared.  While observing the sticks left standing after the job, I felt sick at the thought of all that I had cut off!  It seemed so drastic!  But a few weeks later, the fruit of my labor was evident.  Dozens of buds had formed on the new growth stimulated by the pruning.  

Jesus talks about this process in John 15.  He explains that in order for me to produce fruit, I must be a part of the vine.  Just as a rose cannot grow apart from the bush, my life cannot exhibit love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness or self control apart from Jesus. (Galatians 5:22-23)  

There are many times I drift away from Jesus, thinking I can do things in my own strength.  I believe I am pretty self-sufficient and gifted in areas that make me well-suited for a certain task, ministry or job.  Soon, I find myself in a state of burn-out, frustration and grumpiness.  What happened?

I was trying to grow apart from my source of life. No matter how hard I try,  for instance, I can't show patience to others the way Jesus waits for me to come around.  People can be as mean as an injured dog backed into a corner.  Others are stubborn and don't want to hear any advice.  Many just want some encouragement. 

But I can't figure out who needs what and when they need it.  Instead, I must let Him love others through me by giving up my will for His.  Then He can have His way in that area of my life.  In other words, I need to stop thinking I have all the answers and let Him have the problem instead.

Just as I cut off some perfectly good branches on those roses in order to encourage new growth, Jesus will take away what I think are acceptable parts of my life so that I can have a better chance of producing some of His fruit.

When it's time for me to let go of one part of my life, I can be assured that it is so fruit that glorifies God will replace it.

Love

"All we need is love. . . " I've heard the song and believed the premise behind the lyrics.  But humans have no concept of real love.  God loves in a way that can't be reciprocated.  No matter how much I am devoted to God, it will pale in comparison to the way God loves me.

His love is patient, kind, not envious or boastful, it's humble and not rude or self-seeking.  God's love is not easily angered and doesn't keep a tally of all my past wrongs.  It jumps for joy when it recognizes the truth, protects, trusts, hopes, perseveres and never fails.  (1 Corinthians 13:4-8) This is the kind of love that draws me back to Himself.  

On the other hand, my attempts at love expect results now, are discontent with circumstances and pushy, thinking I can fix a problem quickly.  It's all about me and getting the job done in a timely manner no matter whose toes I step on.  My brand of love remembers what others have done. . . just in case they do it again I can't complain that I wasn't forewarned!  In other words, the way I love is not really love at all.

Jesus loves me in such a way that He was willing to pay the ultimate price for my sins so that my relationship with God could be restored and I could avoid the penalty of eternal death.  Jesus taught that I am not to just horde up His love for myself, but to pass it on to others so that they may experience it as well.  

In order for this to happen, however, I must sacrifice my life in much the same way Jesus did.  I must give up my self-centered priorities, my self-interest, my selfish comfort, my desire to protect my reputation. . . everything that points to me must die. 

As I love others in a self-sacrificing way, as Jesus did, I will find that the world will hate me.  A kind word will be thanked with a sneering glance.  A thoughtful gesture will be cast away with disdain.  Time dedicated in selfless service will go unnoticed by others.  But I can't take it personally the way I naturally do.  

Jesus warned me it would be so.  He said, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  (John 16:33)

God loves me with an everlasting love that constantly seeks to restore my relationship with Him.  As His follower, He calls me to love in the same sacrificial way.  But as I allow His love to flow through me, others will sneer at His Spirit which is within me.  


Easter is a busy time when It is easy for my life to get out of kilter and something else ends up holding the position of highest importance instead of God.  But when this happens, God will get my attention, do some pruning, and continue to love me as His precious daughter.

Then I can truly celebrate Easter as a time of new life and begin to live for Jesus!


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can recognize the tools God uses to bring my life back into alignment with Him.

How do I fight God's attention getting tactics by falling into self-pity?

What has God been pruning out of my life so more of His love will show through?


No comments:

Post a Comment