The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On Who's Side Are You?

"Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."
Proverbs 19:21



A good friend reminded me of this truth when I was feeling at the mercy of others' decisions.  I was afraid that I would be pushed into something that was outside of God's will.  That was when she reminded me that man can try to make things happen, but if it's not a part of God's plan, it won't come to pass.  

This got me to thinking about His will.  As I studied scripture, her reminder came to life as I read about several instances where God's plan prevailed despite human frailty, sin and trickery.

Human Frailty

Barak was called by God through the prophetess Deborah during a time when Israel had suffered under the rule of Jabin, King of Canaan whose cruel commander, Sisera, had oppressed them for twenty years.  God told him to take 10,000 men from two tribes and assured him that victory over the tyrant's 900 chariots would be Barak's.

He hesitated, however, aware of the overwhelming odds and refused to go unless Deborah went with him.  She agreed, but said that because of his lack of faith in the God who called him, the honor for the victory would go to a woman. 

God did bring about victory for the Israelites, thanks to a sudden torrential rainstorm and flooding creeks which wreaked havoc on the heavy chariots.  The Canaanites were wiped out and the credit for the final death blow to the evil Sisera went to a common housewife named Jael.

It was God's will to deliver his people from the hand of Sisera.  Even the weakness of Barak could not stop his plan.  

I can't mess up God's plan for my life.  My fear or someone else's zeal will not change the course that God has set.

I can trust God because no amount of failure or mistakes on my heart can alter His plan for my life.

Human Sin


Moses was known as a friend of God and the most humble man of his time, but even this great man of God was a sinner, just like you and me.  After spending 40 days and nights with God on the top of Mt Sinai, he came down with many instructions from God regarding worship and the building of the tabernacle along with the tablets on which God had etched the ten commandments.  

He famously hurled the stones to the ground, breaking them into pieces when he witnessed the Israelites taking part in the revelry of worship around a golden calf.   His anger was justified against the sin he observed, but in a fit of rage he broke the newly fashioned tablets.

Despite the sin, God did not abandon his people.  He had every right to wipe them off the face of the earth for their rebellion: But God had a plan for these people.  It was a plan to, ". . .do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world.  The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the LORD, will do for you." (Exodus 34:10) 

So God gave them another chance.  The LORD instructed Moses to chisel out two new tablets and carry them up the mountain where He would, ". . .write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke." (Exodus 34:1)  

Even the outright rebellion of God's people or the impetuous damage Moses did to God's work would stop the will of God.

There are areas in my life that I struggle with sin problems.  I continue to submit them to the Lord, only to have them creep back up again later.  But my sin is not an impediment to God's work in my life.  His power has overcome my sin in the form of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  

Sin no longer rules me.  But when I fall into sinful behavior, as my flesh is wont to do, I can rest in the knowledge that my sinfulness won't mess up God's plan. Just as with Moses and the Isrealites, God will give me a second chance and His purpose for my life will stand.

God's sovereign plan is more powerful that my sinful behavior.

Human Avoidance

Ahab was one of the evil kings of Israel who completely disregarded God's commandments.  He, " did more evil in the eyes of the LORD than any of those before him."  (1 Kings 16:30)  He married the evil Jezebel and encouraged his people to worship Baal by building a temple to the false god and led God's people away from worship of the One True God by erecting Asherah poles for people to freely venerate.

One of the things Ahab did which revealed the darkness of his heart was that he sought out prophets who told him what he wanted to hear instead of what God wanted him to know.  This got him in trouble one day when numerous false prophets deceivingly advised him to attack Ramoth Gilead because the Lord would be with him.  When Micaiah, the true prophet from God was summoned, he gave Ahab a different message; a message from God.  The LORD said the people of Israel would be scattered and the king himself would die.

Ahab refused to listen and instead disguised himself as he went to battle, thinking he could avoid the inevitable.  Not surprisingly, a stray arrow found a chink in his armour and killed him, just as God had warned.

People throughout the ages have tried to ignore the warnings of God, to no avail.  As David reminds us, "Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?. . . If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." (Psalm 139:7, 11-12)

I can't trick God.  I can try to pretend like I don't hear Him, but that won't change His plan.  His will wins out every time!  It is better for me to fall into obedience of His calling instead of to fight against it.  

No one wants to fight against God.  Even the Pharisees backed down from their persecution against Peter and the other apostles when they received the following advice. "If their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.  But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." (Acts 5:38-39)

It is better to work with God than against Him because in a battle of wits between me and God, God will triumph every time. 


When I am in despair and things seem out of control, I can remember that God is in control and His purpose will prevail despite my frailties, sin or desire to evade.  In the words of Isaiah the prophet, "For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him?  His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?" (Isaiah 14;27)  

Since nothing can stop Him, the question becomes, "On who's side am I?"


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can align myself with God in my thoughts and attitudes.

How do I fight against God by ignoring His calling on my life?

When do I give up, thinking that my sin is messing up His plan?


No comments:

Post a Comment