The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Eternal Perspective

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ,
set your hearts on things above,
where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
Set your minds on things above,
not on earthly things."
Colossians 3:1-2



At the age of 17 a diving accident left Joni Eareckson Tada a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, unable to use her arms.  An active teenager, this new reality was difficult to understand.  Over the years, however, Joni was able to accept God's plan for her life. . . a plan she did not necessarily like, but a purpose in which God gave her the grace to receive as His will.

Life doesn't always go the way I want it to go.  Surprises are around every corner, making it difficult to continue the struggle.  Joni said, "The world has a philosophy that says, 'What can't be cured must be endured.' Christians have a philosophy that says, 'What can't be cured can be enjoyed.'"

If I want to be able to experience joy in the midst of difficulty, I must keep an eternal perspective.  Seeing things from God's point-of-view changes everything.  While I can't literally put myself in God's place, I can change my position, giving me another angle from which to see my current situation.

Heart

For many years of my life I treasured bodybuilding.  I spent hours poring over muscle magazines, learning the latest workout, diet and posing techniques.  The gym became my second home as I toiled away, sculpting muscle and sweating fat away.  Food grew to be a tool used to manipulate my body into the condition I desired it to attain.  My heart was fully devoted to my own physical appearance.

Jesus said in Matthew 6:21 that I should focus on storing up treasures in heaven, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Whatever I value leads my heart to follow.  The center of my life is my heart.  For this reason, a wise man once said, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Proverbs 4:23)

As the center, my heart is the barometer of my spiritual well being.  If anyone wants to know the condition of my spiritual life, he need look no further than my heart.  Since only God can see my heart, humans must look at the produce, so to speak.  Jesus said, "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.  For out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks."  (Luke 6:45)

When stress increases, the words that I so easily blurt out reflect what's on the inside.  When things seem to be going all wrong, the way I react reveals who I believe is in control.  When everything is going the way I want it to go, my attitude exposes my pride.

Keeping an eternal perspective means my heart will be focused on what is important to God instead of in pleasing my own selfish desires.  To set my heart on things above is to desire His will above all other things.  This takes some house cleaning, asking God to remove whatever passions do not glorify Him.  

If I want to change my perspective, I can devote my heart to pleasing God.


Mind

A few years ago our family was working to get out of debt.  Whenever I was doing any menial task like folding laundry, cleaning or exercising, my mind would analyze our progress, calculating how many months it would take to pay of this credit card or that loan.  I took great pleasure in meditating on the improvement we were making in our financial health.  My thoughts often drifted toward the good thing we were doing.

Everyone agrees living debt-free is wise and beneficial.   Even though we were in the process of doing something good, my thought life was not pleasing to God.  He is jealous for my attention.  As His Creator, He deserves the highest place of honor and esteem in my life.   Focusing my deliberation, analysis and meditation on Him and His Word demonstrates the place He holds in my scheme of things.  

Anything can easily take God's place in my thought life.  Another area of temptation is for my mind to focus on problems, analyzing them and brainstorming solutions until I come up with just the right one. Then I'll think it through from every angle, determining all the possible outcomes when finally I drop into an exhausted heap and plead with God to take the problem and solve it His way.  As soon as I stop worrying and release the responsibility for unraveling the tangle of issues, my mind enjoys some peace and rest.  I have placed God back in the driver's seat of the car that is my life.

Jesus gives us the antidote for worry in Matthew 6:33.  After describing how the rest of His creation trusts Him to provide for their needs and to solve their problems (have you ever seen a worried bird?), He showed me where my mind should be focused.  ". . .seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."  

When I keep my attention on God and living to Him, He takes care of the things I used to worry about.  He solves the problems.  He gives me the answers.  He supplies my needs.  

My constant attention to our debt-pay-off plan did not serve to pull us out of debt sooner.  It only served to entice my mind away from God and onto distracting things.  Instead, I can train my mind to take the advice of the Apostle Paul when he taught that, ". . . whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

Focusing on God and His Word will transform my mind into a more godly viewpoint. 

Heaven

I remember going on long runs as a teenager.  To help me keep focused, I would envision my house and what I would do when I reached the end of the run.  Keeping that mental picture of the finish line in my mind encouraged me to keep going even when I felt tired and ready to quit.

In the same way, life is like a long marathon.  When I feel like giving up and dropping all my convictions, having a good vision of heaven in mind will inspire me to keep going.  Believers have something to look forward to. Before Jesus returned to His heavenly home he reassured His followers. He said, "Do not let your hearts be trouble.  Trust in God; trust also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you." (John 14:1-2) 

I have a special spot just for me in my eternal home!  Jesus Himself is getting it ready for me.  It's like when I go home to visit my mom, she always fixes up a room just for me.  She doesn't wait until I arrive to change the sheets and freshen the pillows.  Instead, she works in advance, making sure everything is ready when I set foot in her home.  I know I am expected and I am welcomed because of her attention to the preparations.  

It is the same with heaven.  Jesus wants me there and is getting everything ready for my arrival.  Keeping this picture in my mind as I go through the trials and tribulations of life helps me to carry on with joy in my heart.  

As I run this race of life, "I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (Philippians 3:14 NLT)

Keeping a mental picture of my heavenly reward will give me a new lease on life, inspiring me to do my best for my Father.


Life is hard.  Thanks to sin, this world is a difficult place in which to live.  Those of us who follow Jesus, however, have reason to rejoice.  In the midst of the mess, I can experience joy by devoting my heart to God's purpose, by keeping my mind focused in Him and His Word, and by  maintaining a visualization of my heavenly home.  Then I will gain an eternal perspective.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can be heavenly minded as I am worldly bound.

In what ways do I betray my thoughts in the way I respond to stressors?

When am I too short-range in my vision instead of keeping heaven in my sight?


No comments:

Post a Comment