The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Faithfulness of God

"For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ
with a resounding 'Yes!'  
And through Christ,
our 'Amen' (which means 'Yes')
ascends to God for his glory.
It is God who enables us,
along with you,
to stand firm for Christ.
He has commissioned us,
and he was identified us as his own
by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts
as the first installment that guarantees
everything he has promised us."
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 NLT



Track Record.  I usually know whether or not I can depend on someone based upon their past behavior.  Some are dependable, others are flaky and forgetful.  Behavior betrays one's faithfulness.

I can always count on God as recorded in His Word.  "I will proclaim the name of the LORD.  Oh, praise the greatness of our God!  He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."  (Deuteronomy 32:3-4)

When all around me seems unstable and unsure, I can stand on the Solid Rock.  Even when I don't know the answers, God holds the blueprint for my life in the palm of his hand.  In the times when I feel I can't trust myself, let alone those around me, I can trust God.  

Why can I put all my eggs in God's basket?  It is because He possesses a flawless track record.

Abraham

The years past by and hope turned to dust; dry and lifeless like the rocky land in which he lived. I want to believe God, but how long must a wait for a child?  I'm an old man. . . maybe I was hallucinating.  Maybe God wants me to do something to make His promise happen.  Maybe I imagined the whole thing.  

Abraham and Sarah had to wait over 25 years before the promise God made in Genesis 12 was fulfilled; the promise that, ". . all peoples on earth will be blessed through you. . " and, "To your offspring I will give this land." (v3, 7)

Finally, when Abraham reached 100 years of age, Isaac was born; the promise had been fulfilled.  God has His own timetable and it has nothing to do with me.  If I'm going to trust Him I must not bind Him with the parameters of time.  

I often grow weary of waiting; for things to get better, for relationships to be healed, for hardened hearts to soften.  As one who follows a faithful God, I know that I can trust Him to do as He has said He will do.  He will finish what He has started, bind the brokenhearted and work a miracle in a heart.  He is able. . . if I am willing to wait on Him.

God is faithful to keep His promises. . . on His timetable.


Joseph

It all started with a dream.  He foolishly and arrogantly shared the dream with his brothers of all their sheaves of wheat bowing down to his.  Soon, he found himself the victim of his brother's cruel jealousy, sold into slavery and on his way to Egypt to become the slave of Pharaoh's captain of the guard.  

As if this wasn't bad enough, despite the position of trust he had risen to in the house of Potiphar, he soon found himself imprisoned due to a false charge by his master's wife.  Years later, God enabled him to interpret the Pharaoh's dream, landing him a position as second in command in all of Egypt.  After 13 years of unfair circumstances and undeserved treatment, Joseph had risen to an unimaginable level.  As he later said to his brothers when they were reunited, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."  (Genesis 50:20)

You see, Joseph's life seemed like one big tragedy, but because of the foresight revealed by Pharaoh's dream, the prophecy from a boy's long ago dream came true.  And through Joseph's position of power, God was able to use him to prepare a country for a famine that no one else knew was coming.  Soon, all would come to Egypt looking for grain.  Even his brothers would bow before him out of desperation.

I often feel like life has not been fair to me or those around me.  I work hard and try to do the best I can, but I can't seem to catch a break.  I lose my job.  I am falsely accused.  I am taken to court.  The car breaks down, the roof springs a leak and my knee goes out all in the same week.  When will things get better?

Even though life is harsh and circumstances seem unfair, God has a way of taking something bad and using it for the good.  He has a knack for utilizing weak and broken people for powerful and restorative acts.  The Lord can turn the tables in a heartbeat, leaving observers with a serious case of whiplash.

The Apostle Paul reassured us with the thought that, "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Joseph's purpose was ultimately to provide a way for the Israelites to enter into slavery in Egypt, thus opening a need for delivery in a way that would showcase God's great power and proclaim His name throughout all the earth. 

Who knows what plan God has for my life. . . or for your life?  Future generations could be affected by circumstances that I am going through right now.  My ancestors might benefit from the fruit that is produced from my heartache.  A seed that is planted right now in the midst of my trouble could sprout and grow for many to see in years yet to come.

Putting my trust in a faithful God means leaving the outcome up to Him, no matter how unfair circumstances now may seem.

Messiah

"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."  (Isaiah 53:5)

"You will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay."  (Psalm 16:10)

"The LORD ways to my Lord: 'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.' (Psalm 110:1)

Generations of Jews studied these, along with many other prophecies, as they awaited the coming of their Messiah; their promised deliverer.  When would He come?  How will He vanquish our enemies?  How long must we wait?  They must have quivered with excitement of the prospect of their liberation.  

God did fulfill these prophecies in the Person of Jesus Christ.  He died on the cross, taking the punishment for my sins and giving me a peace with God through faith in Him.  He rose again on the third day, illustrating His victory over death.  He is now seated at the right hand of God as the conqueror of the power and consequences of sin in my life.  All mankind is liberated from the death sentence our sin deserves.  

From the moment when Adam first sinned and the state of mankind fell from it's original design, we have been estranged from God.  In that one instant on the cross, the relationship was restored and the impossible once again became possible.  The imperfect is reunited with the Perfect One.  The unholy can abide with the Holy One.  The estranged is brought back together with the Beloved.

If God can accomplish the impossible task of redeeming my hopeless, sinful soul, then I can certainly trust God with everything in my life.


It is not easy to trust those who let us down, but because of God's faithfulness to keep His promises, I can stand firm on His strong foundation.  The constricts of time, harsh circumstances or impossible tasks do not get in His way.  His will prevails. . . of this I can be certain.   

This is the God on Whom I will stake my life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember all that God has done to help me believe in all that He will do.

How do I get bogged down in the difficulties and forget that His plan can use those troubles?

When would it benefit me to remember the impossible task of redemption that Jesus accomplished on the cross?

No comments:

Post a Comment