The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 16, 2012

My Own Eyes

"But you have seen the LORD
perform all these mighty deeds
with your own eyes!"
Deuteronomy 11:7



The man holding the gun was calm and steady, never taking his eyes off his target.  The one who was the focus of his attention, however, was acting erratically, foolishly taunting the gunman.  "Go ahead, shoot me.  What are you waiting for?"

Meanwhile, customers at the gas station where my husband and I were filling up the tank of our truck were driving frantically away, trying to escape the strange showdown over a gas pump.  The gunman did finally fire the gun into the ground, earning the agitator an injury to his shin.

As a witness to this bizarre crime, I gave my account to the law enforcement personnel.  I had seen with my own eyes what had happened.

It is the same with me and God.  I have seen His works with my own eyes, both disciplinary and delivery.  These personal experiences with a real and living God have shaped my faith in ways adherence to a set of religious standards and practices can not.  

Since I have seen God's mighty hand at work in the softening of a once hardened heart, in the transformation of a life, or in the rescue from a near death encounter, I personally know of His power.  Therefore, I take Him seriously, knowing that He holds my very life in His hands.  When He says to be careful to obey His commands, I know He means it and that there will be repercussions.

Strength


When I was 19-years-old, I set a national record at the American Drug-Free Powerlifting Association National Championships held in Chicago, Illinois.  I always thought of myself as naturally strong, so this sport seemed an obvious choice for me.  

That physical strength, however, does not help me to forgive those who are mean and cruel to me.  That kind of power does nothing to give me what I need to be kind in the face of evil.  Strong muscles cannot help me to endure a difficult circumstance with joy in my heart.

Physical strength does not translate into spiritual strength.  The kind of might I need to accomplish the mission God has set before me comes from Him as I live my life His way.

God warned the Israelites to pay special attention to every Word that came from His mouth, following His commands to the last detail, "so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess."  (Deuteronomy 11:8b)  Obedience leads to strength.  Doing things God's way empowers me to succeed.  Forsaking my self-interest and embracing the fulfillment of God's desires results in the ability to do His will.

Strength has nothing to do with my abilities, gifts or talents.  It has everything to do with God's might.  In order to get through the trials that come with each day, I must surrender my will to His and allow His power to flow through me.  

As 19-Century pastor and author Phillips Brooks said, "Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger people!  Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks.  Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle but you shall be a miracle.  Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God."

In order to showcase God's grace, it is necessary for me to live by God's strength.

Longevity 

Whenever I buy a new appliance, whether it be a hairdryer or a dishwasher, it usually comes with a lengthy booklet of instructions the manufacturer put together to inform me how to get the optimal performance and longest life from their product.  The one who made the device understands how it should be treated in order to get the best results.

It is not so different with me.  One of the best ways to experience superior performance and durability is to live my life according to the operating instructions given to me by my Manufacturer.  God's way is always better than my way.

God's wisdom dispensed through King Solomon tells us that, "The fear of the LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short."  (Proverbs 10:27)  Solomon did not always possess this kind of wisdom, but as the son of David, he was taught under someone who loved and revered God.  When it came time for the young man to take the throne, he did so with a serious attitude of respect and honor for God.  

One night, God appeared to the new king in a dream and told Solomon to ask for anything and it would be granted.  Solomon asked for discernment in leading his people.  This request pleased the Lord, prompting an even greater blessing of wealth and honor.  Additionally, God went on to say,  "if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life." (1 Kings 3:14)

God has a plan for each of our lives and our days are written in His book before we are even born.  There is no secret formula or "fountain of youth," but those who tend to live longer are those who don't fight against God, but submit to His authority in their lives.

Following the Manufacturers instructions offers the best results and longest life.

Provision

Each of us is motivated to act by something or someone.  It could be the drive to succeed, to make a name for oneself, to provide for a family or to live in comfort.  Whatever it is, we do what we do for a reason.

The world is filled with messages that tempt my self-centered nature: 
Go for the gusto 
"Tonight's the night.  Let's live it up.  I got my money.  Let's spend it up."   -Black eyed Peas
Live for today, don't worry about tomorrow.
"Get it while you can" -Janis Joplin

Living for my own pleasure, comfort and success may feel good for awhile, but it will ultimately lead to emptiness.  Trusting in God to supply my needs and instead living for His pleasure will lead to contentment and true happiness.  

God gives me this promise in Deuteronomy 11:13-15.  He says, "if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today-to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul-then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil.  I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied."

If the drive in my life is to please myself, I will never be satisfied.  If the motivating factor is to put God first in all things, He will provide all that I need and I will experience true satisfaction in my present circumstances.  Things I used to think I needed, I will realize are unnecessary.  I will wont for nothing.  My heart will be content.

Making God my ultimate goal in life will lead to His faithful provision and a pleasing sense of fulfillment.


I have seen God do many things in my life and in the lives of others.  There is no doubt He is LORD of all things.  In order to live my life under His Lordship, I must pay careful attention to His ways and be cautious not to get off-track.  Then I will receive the strength I need to endure, a long life to live for Him, and the faithful provision of my needs. 

If I use what I have seen God do as an impetus to enter into a personal relationship with my Lord, I will experience more than I ever dreamed possible. "To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."  (Ephesians 3:21)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will keep God in the highest position of importance.

How do I try to do things out of my own strength instead of letting God work?

When do I spend most of my time trying to supply my needs instead of relying on God?


1 comment:

  1. That was an interesting way you put it about God being our manufacture and that the Bible is our manual. That really inspires me to want to live my life for God; not for personal gain but to please my Savoir and to feel that over welling joy that I know what I am doing is for God!

    ReplyDelete