The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

"But you, O LORD, are a shield around me;
you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
I cried out to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy mountain.
I lay down and slept,
yet I woke up in safety,
for the LORD was watching over me.
I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
who surround me on every side."
Psalm 3:3-6 NLT


The storm battered the tiny boat, tossing it around like a toy ship in a bathtub filled with rowdy toddlers.  All around them the waves were threatening to overturn the vessel, leaving them to die in the tumultuous squall.   They were panicked. . . could this be the end?

Then they peered through the driving rain and noticed their Teacher, sleeping as if He were at home, tucked into His own bed.  Without a care in the world, he slumbered while Hell broke loose all around Him.

"Lord, don't you care?  We're all gonna drown!"  

With a single phrase, Jesus calmed the storm.  "Peace, be still."  (Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41)

I am in the midst of a storm in my life.  I am being flung about like a bit of straw in a hurricane.    Jesus can calm my storm with a single phrase, if only I will rouse Him.

Shield

I have heard it said that a bully or anyone who is gruff and rough on the outside is tender and sensitive on the inside.  I, too, will go to great lengths to protect my heart, erecting all kinds of barriers and walls that not only keep the hurt out, but also hold loved ones at bay.  

The thing is, this kind of man-made barricade never serves to shield my heart.  The damage is still done, the words continue to wound, the disappointments persist in harming.  I am incapable of protecting myself.

The Lord, on the other hand, is my strong and faithful protector.  He is always on guard, never asleep at His post or busy with something else.  When I call on Him, He is there.

Moses learned this truth in a most spectacular way.  He wanted to see God's glory but the Lord explained that no one can survive seeing Him; He is too holy, perfect and glorious for our sinful eyes to look upon.  As a result, God hid Moses in the cleft of a rock and covered him with His own hand, protecting the man from His lethal glory.  (Exodus 33:20-23)

What a wonderful picture of God's character!  When I am wallowing around in times of trouble, I can declare Him to be, ". . .my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." (Psalm 91:2 NLT)  I can hide in Him, much like Moses was placed in the crevice of the rock.  God is the safe place in which I can hide, the peaceful sanctuary where I can retreat, the calm harbor where I can sail to escape the storm.  

Calling out to God in times of trouble or inner turmoil gives Him the opportunity to shield my heart from hurt.

Glory

The cream puff tempted me with it's flaky shell and delectable scent.  I can't wait to bite into it and taste it's creamy filling.  My teeth penetrated the tender outside layer, anticipating the velvety smoothness of the inside.  Much to my disappointment, the pastry lacked any kind of filling: It was empty.

This is kind of like me.  I may look good on the outside, but inside there is nothing good in and of myself.  Everything that is honorable or with merit is from God.  

After explaining the process that begins with temptation, feeds from my desires and leads to sin, James said, ". . .don't be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.  Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.  He never changes or casts a shifting shadow."  (James 1:16-17 NLT)

I am incapable of doing good on my own.  For this, I need God my Father with whom I enjoy a relationship through faith in Jesus Christ.  In surrendering my selfish desires to God, His goodness will fill the void and I will experience His glory in my life.

Turning over my wants and wishes to God will give His Spirit the opportunity to fill my being with His goodness.

Anti-Depressant

"My thoughts come down and I cry.  I cry so hard that I struggle to breathe.  But no matter how hard I cry, the pain will never escape me."

"I'm baffled.  I don't see why people would care about me at all.  What do I have to offer them?  Nothing."

"I just don't feel like trying anymore.  There's no point.  Why should I hold on just to get hurt even more?"

Depression is like a heavy blanket, weighing me down so I can't get up. . . keeping me in the pit. . . dragging me to the darkness.  When I see no hope within myself or in the world around me, I despair.  If I want to gain a positive expectation for my future, then I need look no further than God.  

This is not to say I won't go through dark times. Difficulties and times of sadness are bound to come.   But it is during the night when I most need the Light, and when I turn to Him, He will hold my head up high, giving me a reason to live.

I am made in God's image for a specific purpose.  I am not a mistake.  I am not the result of a random act of chance.  My existence is not accidental. When I soak this reality into my being, allowing it to penetrate every corner of my existence, I will understand the greatness of God. 

It is then that I will be able to receive the doxology found at the end of Jude, "To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy--to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore!  Amen."

For this reason I can know without a doubt that I am here for a reason, I was created to serve a function, I am the result of the act of a loving God.  Even in the midst of a seemingly hopeless situation, I have reason to sing:  God is in control.  God loves me.  God has a purpose for my life.  God is able to take me as I am.   In the scheme of things, nothing else really matters.

When I'm feeling low, turning to God will give Him the opportunity to raise my head up high.  


The storms of life will come and go, but through them all, God can be my shield, my glory and my anti-depressant. . . if only I will let Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will let God do His job instead of trying to do it myself.

How do I try to protect myself in ways that keep God and people at bay?

When do I let myself sink into the depths of despair instead of taking my Anti-Depressant?


No comments:

Post a Comment