The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Life as a Sermon

"Preach the word of God.
Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not."
2 Timothy 4:2 NLT



"But I don't want to!"  The sound of the whining child grated on my nerves.
"It doesn't matter if you want to or not.  The chores need to be done and as a part of this family, you need to pitch in and do your part. . . whether you feel like it or not."

Maybe this sounds familiar. . .children don't always want to do their chores.  Maybe in your house the battle is over homework or a myriad of other things.  Whatever is the source of conflict, I can guarantee that where there is a will. . . there is a battle of some kind.

As an adult, I am not immune to this childish mindset.  There are many things I don't want to do.  I don't feel like cleaning, for example. In fact, I could call myself a reluctant cleaner.  Every once in a while I'll feel inspired to clean and then I'll go crazy, getting everything spic and span.  Most of the time, however, I clean because it needs to be done.  Another thing I rarely want to do is to go to the dentist.  Again, it is something that is important for my overall health, so I make a point to do it.  

Life is filled with examples of "chores" like these.  My walk with Christ is not so different.  There are things I am called to do whether or not I'm in the mood.  I can't wait until I feel inspired or in the mood.  

One of these things is that even though I'm not a pastor, I am called to preach, whether I feel like it or not.  Some kinds of preaching can't be done from the pulpit but are best observed by onlookers watching a life that is wholly committed to Christ. 


Love

She holds the hand of the leper.  He runs back into a burning building to save a child.  She prays for the one who beats her.  Love compels people do the unthinkable, the heroic, the foolish.  

As much as I love my family and would give my life for them, I don't think I really understand the depths of God's love for His people.  It is important that I let His love sink into my very being.  Unless I truly grasp the magnitude of His love, I will not fully become the one who God has created me to be.

The Apostle Paul explained this truth to the believers at Ephesus.  "I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit.  Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.  Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."  (Ephesians 3:16-19 NLT)

It all begins with surrendering my all to Jesus.  As I do this, I will grow in His love and will experience more of His love.  Coming into contact with the love of Christ as I allow Him to invade my being, transforming me into His image, empowers me to love others as He does.  This is the fullness of life that God has given me; not to simply feel that love He has for me and soak in it, but to allow the love to flow over into the lives of others.

In this way I will be preaching a powerful sermon to people around me.  Scottish scholar and writer William Barclay put it this way when he wrote that, "More people have been brought into the church by the kindness of real Christian love than by all the theological arguments in the world. . ."

Loving others is not always easy; some are prickly porcupines and others are cuddly teddy bears.  If I have endured a difficult day and am in a hurry when God places a hurting porcupine in my path, I have two choices.  Either I can go with my feelings and turn away, or can I allow the love of Christ to show some compassion to someone who needs a kind word.  

The love of Christ is a sermon that will always preach, if I will only yield to the Preacher.

Joy

I remember trying to catch our neighbor's bunny.  Everyone gathered to retrieve the escapee.  We corralled, lured and chased, but nothing seemed to work.  As soon as we thought we had her, she would hop away.  A rabbit-loving friend of mine later told me that if we would have sat down and relaxed, the bunny would have come right to one of us.

Joy is like that elusive rabbit. Alexander MacLaren, a 19th Century Baptist Minister, said,  "To pursue joy is to lose it.  The only way to get it is to follow steadily the path of duty, without think of joy, and then, like sheep, it comes most surely, unsought, and we 'being in the way,' the angel of God, fair-haired joy, is sure to meet us."  

Following Jesus and giving control over to Him produces the fruit of joy in my life.  It's easy to pursue my Savior when things are going smoothly, but what about when all seems lost; when the car breaks down, the child becomes ill, or the breadwinner loses his job?  Maybe this Jesus-thing isn't working out so well, I may think.

Trusting in Jesus means letting Him decide where the path of my life goes, and which route it will take.  Knowing that He loves me, I can say that, "even though (I) don't see him now, (I) believe in him and (am) filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." (1 Peter 1:8)

Joy comes when I continue on the path of faith, even when things aren't working out the way I want.  

Jesus

"We don't believe in Jesus."  The words hit hard.  This phrase came from the mouth of a father whose family is open to all kinds of beliefs.  All kinds, that is, except for the very One that brings life.  They have practiced Islam, learned about Hinduism, New Age beliefs and the teachings of Buddha.  They study all varieties of religions together as a family, but they deny Jesus and the message of the cross.

This is not a surprise.  It was prophesied in Psalm 118:22  and Peter talked about this dismissal of Jesus as he appeared before the Sanhedrin, a Jewish panel of judges.  He said that Jesus is, "'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.' Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."  (Acts 4:11-12)

The name of Jesus is powerful.  It is the salvation of my soul!  The world I live in, however, does not respect His name.  Characters in movies use His name as a curse word.  Others make jokes with His name.  Then there are those who deny His deity and power while claiming to have accepted the salvation that is offered through faith in Him. 

There is no doubt that the name of Jesus provides some controversy.  As His follower, I hold Him in the highest regard, as the source of my salvation. . . the rescuer of my soul from the depths of Hell itself.  I owe my all to Him.  Jesus is the reason for my faith, and salvation is the reward of this faith

Since Jesus holds such an important position in my life, can I give any less than my very best for Him?

There are many times when I would rather live my life for me, but claiming Christ as my Savior means I put Him first.


I could never imagine preaching a sermon, but the way I live my life says a lot about what I believe.  If the love of Christ overflows to others, His joy is evident despite my circumstances, and I give my all for Jesus, then the message I convey will be one that points to the gospel.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will preach a sermon with my life that glorifies God.

When do I let circumstances steal the joy God has given to me?

How do I live my life in such a way that says I have no hope in Christ? 


No comments:

Post a Comment