The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What's the Point?

"At that time Marduk-Baladan son of Baladan king of Babylon
sent Hezekiah letters and a gift,
because he had heard of his illness and recovery.Hezekiah received the envoys gladly
and showed them what was in his storehouses--
the silver, the gold, the spices, the fine olive oil--
his entire armory and everything found among his treasures.
There was nothing in his palace
or in all his kingdom that Hezekiah did not show them."
Isaiah 39:1-2



God does something miraculous and it draws the attention of others.  He might heal me from a terminal disease, or deliver me from the bowels of a devastating house fire, or rescue me against all odds from an impossible situation.  Whatever the circumstance, I suddenly find myself with a platform, going from obscurity to notoriety.  How will I react?

Affirmation.  Who knows exactly what was going through Hezekiah's mind, whether it be to confirm his rich stores of resources that would fund a campaign against any enemy, to gain the support of the Babylonians in their rebellion against Assyria, or if it was just an opportunity to soak up the attention of some foreign admirers.  Whatever the reason, Hezekiah was thinking about himself and seeking to gain strong footing with these neighboring kingdoms.

Attention does feel good.  What human doesn't enjoy at least a bit of the limelight?  It makes me feel special and as if my life matters, like I'm important and worthy of garnering the attention of others.  It is an affirmation of sorts, giving me positive feedback regarding my value and worth.  Unfortunately, this kind of attention never lasts and then I'm left to my normal, ho-hum existence. Then what?  If I instead find my worth in Christ and that I am infinitely valuable in His eyes as evidenced by His great love for me through His sacrificial death on the cross, I would be affirmed through my relationship with Him (Luke 12:7, Romans 5:8).  Attention from man would then dim in comparison to the wonder of basking in His glory, and I would want nothing more than to showcase His magnificence.

How do I take advantage of the spotlight to gain affirmation instead of directing the glory to God?

Show Off.  I remember show-and-tell as a kindergartner.  My classmates would take turns bringing in treasures to display for all to see, giving a quick rundown on why it is special to them.  It might be a dried four-leaf clover found on a trip to the park, a recently acquired toy, or even a beloved pet.  Whatever the possession, there was a bit of pride in sharing what was important to each and some took the opportunity to show off a bit.

As a human, I have an innate desire to impress others in some way.  I may want them to see how important I am, or to recognize my positive qualities, or that I am noticeable in some way.  There is something about human nature that wants to be special and stand out from the crowd.  I can use the sudden spotlight I find myself in when God works a miracle to go with what comes naturally and try to impress others with the adventure of my survival, or I can use it as an opportunity to point to God and His character, highlighting the work of His mighty hand.

How do I take advantage of the spotlight to show off, trying to impress others with my experience rather than giving all the glory to God?

Manipulation.  I remember meeting a little boy when I was a child who gave me a woven zipper pull that he had made himself.  This little token of his affection for me felt a bit uncomfortable.  Even though I was flattered, I did not share his feelings.  Even at the young age of 8, I could recognize when my friendship was being bought.  From what I can remember, our relationship ended right there, fizzling out before it even started.

It's easy to try to gain the trust or loyalty of others by sharing the fruits of my labor, or generously giving from my abundance.  When I suddenly am thrust in the spotlight, I can also use the opportunity to direct the attention toward my accomplishments, the storehouses of all that I've gained through my life in order to get attention from someone with power who could help promote my business, or give me a leg up on the competition, or somehow give me an advantage.  Or I could use the opportunity to share Christ with those who are listening.

How do I take advantage of the spotlight to manipulate circumstances for my benefit instead of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ?


It's easy to lose my mind when suddenly thrust in the spotlight after a miraculous event.  While it is natural to soak up the attention as a form of affirmation, to show off as a way to impress others with the importance of my life, or to manipulate circumstances to my own advantage, there is another way.  I could choose to use the opportunity to showcase the glory of God, impressing others with the work of His mighty hand, and share the love of God through the Good News of Jesus Christ.  After all, what is the point of my sudden notoriety anyway?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him get all the glory for everything that happens in my life.

When am I more devoted to promoting my own interests than highlighting God's?

How do I soak in attention instead of directing it to God's glory?


No comments:

Post a Comment