The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Effective Word

"The rain and snow come down from the heavens
and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
producing seed for the farmer
and bread for the hungry.
It is the same with my word.
I send it out,
and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper wherever I send it."
Isaiah 55:10-11 NLT



I think I must explain it effectively, speak fluidly and persuasively, use proven techniques and remember key points.  I am afraid to share the story of Jesus because I think I must have all the answers, be able to quote scripture and know how to reason with intellectuals.  I shrink away from engaging others with the Good News of Jesus Christ because I feel ill-equipped or am afraid of looking foolish.

But so many all around me are lost and cannot find their way to the one path that leads to life (Matthew 7:13-14).  I know the Way and can introduce them to the Gate that provides entrance into the everlasting Kingdom of God (John 14:6, John 10:9).  If I were to let God do what He does best with His Own Word, I might become bold in proclaiming His truths.  If I were to realize that God's Word never fails to produce good fruit, how would that change my outlook?

Messenger. All he had to do was deliver a message, making sure it got to the intended recipient.  Once he handed off the note, his job was done. It was not the courier's responsibility to make sure the addressee understood the content of the letter, or that he did what was being asked of him.  His only concern was that he get the note to the right person.

While I may not be a courier, I am a messenger of sorts.  God sent the most wonderful love letter to mankind through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ (Romans 5:8).  My job is to tell the story, to shine the light, to point to Him.  And the best part of all is that I don't need to be an expert in theology or human psychology, figuring out how to deliver the Gospel in a way appropriate for each individual person, so that each will respond favorably.  Instead, I can rely on the indwelling Spirit of God to give me the words to say, the angle to take, the message that will most touch every image bearer (Luke 12:12).  It is up to Him to draw people to Jesus, and my role is that of the willing messenger delivering the words meant specifically for each one (John 6:44).

My role as a follower of Jesus Christ is that of a willing messenger who delivers His powerful Word in His perfect time.

Faithful.  "Every word of God proves true" (Proverbs 30:5).  Every word printed on the pages of my Bible are accurate and sound, shown to be factual and correct.  Therefore, I can trust scripture implicitly, without a bit of worry that I'm believing fallacy or being hoodwinked into placing my faith in something that is untrustworthy.  I can stake my life on the message found within Holy Scripture.

This means I cannot improve on the Word of God.  Instead of thinking I need to come up with a snappy catchphrase or a more relevant message, I can stay true to God's message found in the Bible.  After all, Timothy reminds me that all scripture is quite useful for many godly purposes.  It "is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT).  Therefore, there is no greater preparation for sharing the Good News of Jesus than to study His Word, and there is no more powerful tool than scripture to convict the guilty conscience and drive sinners to the foot of the cross to find grace and mercy.  God's own Word always brings about the outcome He intends.  

My role as a follower of Jesus Christ is that of a willing messenger who stays true to His faithful Word that never fails to produce fruit.

Humility.  I get to know others and think I need to come up with a plan for how to lead others to salvation.  I analyze their lives and try to discern where their greatest need is.  I watch how the lost live and desperately try to rescue them from their troubles.  All along, however, I forget to consult the One who holds the blueprint for each life.

It is important that I stay completely dependent upon the Spirit of God to lead me at just the right time, in just the right way, with just the right message.  If I try to go out on my own, running ahead for fear that I may miss my opportunity, the words I say will fall flat or hit concrete, failing to penetrate the heart.  This is because God has not yet prepared the way, softened the heart, opened the ears.  Only He knows what it will take for each of us, and only He knows what it is He wants to accomplish in every life.  Therefore, it is vital that I stay humble and not assume I know the best way to approach anyone.

My role as a follower of Jesus Christ is that of a willing messenger who stays true to His faithful Word and maintains a humble heart wholly dependent upon Him (Psalm 51:10).


God's Word is powerful.  When I get the idea that I must be a Bible scholar who is proficient in giving moving speeches and answering every possible question, I am placing my faith in my own intellect.  Instead, I must realize the inherent power found in every Word that comes from God's own mouth.  When I do, I will walk forward in faith, letting Him give me the appropriate words for every situation, staying true to His message and sensitive to His lead, and acting according to His plan, not mine.  When I live in such a way, I will discover for myself the effectiveness of God's own Word!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to speak through me instead of trying to come up with a snappy word of my own.

When do I shy away from sharing the Gospel instead of letting God use me for His purposes?

How am I starving myself of the sustenance that is found in God's Word?  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment