The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mystery Solved

"I will say to the north and south,
'Bring my sons and daughters back to Israel
from the distant corners of the earth.
Bring all who claim me as their God,
for I have made them for my glory.
It was I who created them.'"
Isaiah 43:6-7 NLT



People search a lifetime and never find it.  Scholars study and scientists experiment hoping to find the elusive.  But all along it is right there, woven irreversibly into the fibers of their being, their origin.  

Why am I here?  What is my purpose?  What is the meaning of life?  It may not be as complicated as I think.

His Creation.  Before tackling the big questions I must lay the groundwork, build the foundation, grasp an underlying truth.  Before I can understand why I'm here, I have to realize the world is not mine for the taking.  While it's good to understand it's been made by an omnipotent being, that is not enough.  I must go a bit further and accept the fact that the world in which I live belongs to the One who put it all together (Psalm 100:3).  I live in His creation, not that He looks over my domain.

While I may not think I would be so bold as claim this world as my own, I do often live as if I can do whatever I want, that my life is my own and my body is mine to abuse or neglect if I choose to do so.  It's my life, I can do what I want!  I defiantly claim until I realize my limitations, run into something bigger than myself, find the next problem I can't solve on my own or taste the bitter consequences for my choices.  Then I turn to God, when it's convenient for me, when I suddenly can't cope or manage, when I need help.  Then I cry out in desperation, "Please help me!  If you get me out of this mess I promise I'll follow you!"  And I think I mean it.  But my heart is still bent on controlling my own little world as if it were my domain.  Once I accept that "The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it.  The world and all its people belong to him"  the quicker I'll be able to grasp the bigger questions (Psalm 24:1).

I cannot understand the meaning for my life until I acknowledge that I live in God's creation.

  His Purposes.  I remember sitting in the library as a high school student working on an assignment for English class.  I don't remember the details of the project but do recall it was meant to prepare me for the future, to get me to think about my goals and to come up with a plan for how I could reach them.  I also remember being required to create a resume of some kind where I could practice recognizing my strengths and learning how to sell myself to a prospective employer.

This is all a part of the normal kind of preparation every student undergoes but there is one thing missing.  A big thing that has been removed from schools all across this great country.  That thing is God.  Since I live in His creation it would follow that He has a purpose for each of His created beings.  An inventor doesn't take the time to make up a new product for no reason; there is always a need he is trying to fill, a problem he is attempting to solve, a market he is aiming to target.  In the same way, God has a purpose for each segment of His creation and it is downright silly and even foolish to operate as if I decide why I'm here.  Every molecule He formed serves a purpose, is there on purpose and was made purposefully.  Nothing is random, exists by accident or is an oversight.  And it is for His own purposes that He made them.  

I cannot understand the meaning for my life until I realize the creation of God in which I live is made for His purposes, not mine.

His Glory.  The ground work has been laid, the foundation firmly set in place: Now I can venture forward into the realm of the mysteries of life.  Why am I here?  In light of the fact that I live in my Father's world and operate according to His purposes, I would have to say I am here for Him.  And I would be right!  I was made for His glory, to point to Him, to bring praise and honor to the One who knit me together (Psalm 139:13-14).  Every part of me was made to point back to Him as my Creator.

All of creation does this naturally.  The birds sing His praises, the heavens declare His glory, "the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (Psalm 19:1). The flowers reflect His beauty and the rivers tell of His ever-flowing grace.  His mark is everywhere, even in sinful man who was made in His image.  I am made to show off His handiwork, His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). The problem is, unlike the rest of His creation, I don't automatically bring glory to Him just by being.  Sin has broken the mirror that reflects His glory in His image-bearers.  But through repentance and faith in Christ, I can once again make Him look good as I follow Him step-by-step, paying attention to His indwelling Spirit and forsaking the flesh that leads me to destruction.  As I surrender all to Him, I do as the birds and sing His praises in the way I live according to His Spirit, reflect His beauty as the flowers do in the way I let Him have His way (Matthew 5:14-16).  His glory is manifest in a life surrendered to Him.

The meaning for my life is to point back to the One within whose world I live and for whose purpose I was created.


It's really not that complicated, is it?  I live in God's creation and for His purposes.  It makes sense then that I'm here to bring glory to Him!  And as I come to terms with this truth and submit myself to Him through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, His glory is reflected from my heart.  And this brilliance, His glory, shines out into the world that so desperately needs to know the same.  And so I understand; mystery solved!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to surrender all to Him.

When do I block the glory of God from shining through me by clinging to my sin?

How am I living according to my own purposes?    

No comments:

Post a Comment