The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 17, 2015

How to Find Peace Like a River

"This is what the LORD says--
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
'I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is good for you
and leads you along the paths you should follow.
Oh, that you had listened to my commands!
Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river
and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.'"
Isaiah 48:17-18 NLT



It makes me feel better the moment I sit down to observe it's quiet strength.  As the waters flow past my feet I reflect on its mighty power, its faithful supply of water, its steadiness.  There is no panic found there, no worry that the river will dry up and cease to exist, no effort on the river's part to ensure the water will continue to come.  No, there is only a steady calm, a quietness as the millions of drops of water flow faithfully downstream.  And my heart becomes steady and calm as I sink into this serene atmosphere.

I want peace like this river in the midst of the strife that is found as I live life in this broken world.  I want harmony with God and others.  I want tranquility deep within my soul. Is there a way to find such peace?  Yes, it is available by turning away from the sin that comes so naturally to me and by putting on the Lord Jesus Christ by faith, the One who took my sins upon Himself so that I might be free from such a burden that leads me to eternal death (1 Peter 2:24,John 3:16, Romans 13:14).  And in Christ I have peace.  Even so, I sometimes lack the peace I crave.  Why?

Good.  "God is good all the time, all the time God is good."
            "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for this food.  Amen!"
            "Life is hard but God is good!"
There are many slogans plastered on the back of cars, used at the dinner table or boldly proclaim throughout cyberspace, but do I really believe this foundational truth?  Do I live as if God is good? Or is the way I live my life telling a different story, declaring another testimony?

God teaches what is good.  He shows me where I'm off, how I cling to what is destructive and unhealthy, the ways I've learned to cope that are not what He meant for me.  In fact, He uses every situation I encounter, all the garbage I wade through in a typical day to bring about His best for me (Romans 8:28).  Since He is such a beneficial God, I can always trust His lessons and believe in Him as a source for good in my life.  Still, I often find myself straying, getting distracted by alternate messages, or listening to worldly advice that sounds good but is contrary to God's best for me.  I have to remember there is a difference between the good of God and the bad that is found everywhere else.  God is the only source of good (James 1:17).

If I want peace like a river I must be dedicated to only relying on what comes from Him.

Paths.  There are many paths from which to choose.  I usually prefer the easy more populated routes, the common, the well-traveled and worn trail.  Yet I can't choose which way to go based on my own instincts or perspectives (Proverbs 3:5-6).  As one who is saved by the grace of God through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, I have a Shepherd who leads me where He wants me to go.

When I follow the Good Shepherd, I find myself on paths of righteousness that make Him look good and reflect well upon His good name (Psalm 23:3).  The way may be narrow and the going a bit rocky at times, but I will always be headed toward Life when I let Jesus lead (Matthew 7:13-14).  No matter how difficult the journey becomes, I will experience peace in the presence of my Lord and Savior.  I can't wander off the narrow path, away from His lordship, and expect peace.  I will only find discord and strife away from the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6).

If I want peace like a river I must keep my eyes on Jesus as He leads me down the path that leads to Life.

Listen.  "Pay attention, please!"  It may be one of the most common phrases uttered by school teachers everywhere.  When sitting in a classroom, it's easy for children to become distracted and for young minds to wander off when enduring a lesson.  I have to admit, though, it's not just children that struggle with paying attention.  It's often difficult for me to stay focused on a lesson when I'm listening to a teaching or sermon.  The human mind can easily stray.

For this reason, I must realize I'm prone to drift away from God and miss His directives in my life.  Sometimes I'm simply not paying attention and the message He has for me goes right past me.  Other times I'm too busy and am unable to hear Him over the din of activity.  Then there are the times when I'm afraid to learn what He has for me or I resist finding out what His latest message is for me and I simply ignore Him.  I can't avoid His voice and expect to find peace.  Only in heeding His lessons and submitting to His direction will I find quiet in my heart.

If I want peace like a river I must pay attention to Jesus and listen to His commands.  


Living in relationship with God through repentance and faith in Jesus is the only path to peace.  Still, I have to admit that tranquility and harmony do not always rule my heart.  Why doesn't God protect me from such feelings?  He cannot be mocked, I will always reap what I sow (Galatians 6:7-8).  If I stray away from His indwelling Spirit that teaches me what is good, guides me down the right path, and requires that I listen carefully,  I will sacrifice the peace that comes through Christ.  How do I find peace like a river?  Stick with Jesus, that's how (John 14:27)!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to follow Him closely.

When do I stray away then wonder why I'm filled with strife and anxiety?

How do I listen to the wrong messages?     

No comments:

Post a Comment