The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Unity

"How good and pleasant it is
when God's people live together in unity!"
Psalm 133:1



I don't see much of it today.  In fact, the people of God tend to drift toward individuality, strife and fractured living.  We are more intent on receiving personal rights, looking out for our own best interests, and getting our way.  As a result, the Body of Christ leans more toward conflict than reconciliation, getting involved in silly arguments about the color of the carpeting in the foyer, or the style of music used to worship God, or the translation of God's Holy Word that is used.

When we submit to one another as Christ yielded to His Father, things look different than the usual every-man-for-himself mentality that we encounter in this dark, cruel world.  Out of reverence for Jesus, with a constant spirit of carefulness in the way we deal with one another, there is much blessing to be found in the unity that follows.

Brothers and Sisters.  The words conjure up images based on past experiences.  I may feel all warm and fuzzy when thinking of my fellow Believers as kin, or I could expect bickering and rough treatment from those relations as we let our guard down in familiarity.  Or I might think family means obligation, and unmet obligations lead to guilty feelings, meaning the idea of family will conjure up images of responsibilities and expectations that are impossible to keep.  Whatever my background, what I've experienced will color my idea of family.

In Christ there is a new kind of family being birthed.  When each is submitted to Christ, we share the same mind (1 Corinthians 2:16).  We are on the same track, led by the same indwelling Spirit, working toward the same goal, are created with the same purpose and led by the same Head.  Therefore, when yielded to the Head, the Body moves together as one with joy in the hearts of each part (Romans 12:4-5, 1 Corinthians 12:12) .  Instead of doing what is necessary to get along, then, it is more of a symbiotic relationship we experience with our brothers and sisters, a sense that we were made to cooperate with one another and we'll find that unity comes naturally when we succumb to our purpose in Christ.

Recognizing my place in the Body of Christ as a member of a worldwide family gives me a proper perspective that leads to unity.

Dwell.  I belong here.  That is the message of Christ.  When He died on the cross, securing my place in the family of God by His blood, I enter into a Body where I am meant to exist.  I'm not some kind of squatter or seat warmer, taking up space until the real member gets here. Instead, I am a part of the nation of Israel, the chosen people of God, the Church.  Through faith in Jesus, my position is secure.

As such, I dwell in this family, exist in this specific place for a specific reason, am identified with this Body with Christ as the head.  I'm meant to be where I am to fulfill my purpose in His family.  Therefore, I must take every precaution to live at peace with those who also belong.  As the Spirit of Christ in me transforms me, love overflows for the followers of Christ who are running toward Him in my midst.  We form a cohesive bond and work hard to make peace our goal, realizing each personal need is not any more important than what others need.  Living together becomes an harmonious practice.

As I accept my true home in the Body of Christ I will find a desire to do whatever is necessary to live in peace and harmony with my family (Romans 12:16, 18).

Blessing.  All good things come down from above.  In the same way the manna came like dew, feeding God's people each morning as they wandered in the desert, so the blessings of God shower down on His people today.  Like anointing oil lavishly flowing down the head of the priests of old, so God extravagantly pours out His blessing on us as we live in unity as He designed us to exist.

Therefore, putting the needs of others ahead of myself, thinking of ways I can show God's love to the family of God in my midst, looking for ways to honor the sacrifices made for the good of the whole is to be my greatest joy.  When I cooperate with the unifying Spirit of Christ, the result will be an abundance of goodness poured out from above.

Dedicating myself to living in harmony with the family of God is never an exercise in futility, but will result in much blessing.


Even though it is a rare thing to experience unity in the church in this day and age, it can be achieved through submission to Christ as our Head.  When we cooperate with what God is doing within, we'll find a desire to see our comrades in Christ as beloved family members and will want to live in peace with them.  As we experience such a radical unifying Spirit at work, we'll receive much blessing, not as an individual, but as a part of the whole.  This is true unity at work.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that God will give me a glimpse of the unity that comes when I submit to His work in my life.

How do I mostly look out for myself, never considering the needs of others?

When do I stand my ground for things that are not really important, causing unnecessary strife in the Body of Christ that is meant to be unified?      

No comments:

Post a Comment