The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 13, 2015

In Vain

"Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep."
Psalm 127:1-2 ESV



Ever feel like you're spinning your wheels, getting nowhere despite doing everything according to the book, perpetually running into trouble no matter how careful you are?  I can relate.  I've had periods in my life when I've tried really hard to make a go of it, to build something significant with my life, to make good decisions that will help protect myself and those I love.  Still, it seemed everything went wrong and nothing ever came of my best efforts.

When going through periods of such anxious toil, I might consider that the Lord's not in what I'm doing, for when He is, my labor is not in vain.

Build.  I have a tendency to follow the world's advice; cultivating ambition, hatching plans, following dreams.  When I do, I fail to recognize Who holds the blueprint for my carefully formed life (Psalm 139:13-16).  I am living in God's world, not the other way around.  It's easy for me to get into the habit of coming up with my own agenda and asking God to bless the work of my hands instead of getting on board with what God is already up to in my life.  

When I'm sensitive to His perpetual design that is taking place all around me, I can join in with what He is busy doing (Jeremiah 29:11-13).  When I do, I'll start building my life according to His blueprint, in His location, by His timetable and using the materials He provides.  When I operate according to this mode instead of my own self-centered way of going about life, I'll find my efforts result in kingdom fruit that will last.

Unless the LORD is given free reign to build my life according to His plan, everything I do to try to make something of my days will be wasted.

Protection.  He had all the insurance that was possible to protect against any kind of scenario.  Money was piled up in the bank and the highest level of security was installed in his home.  He took every precaution humanly feasible but he still lost his life and left his family without a husband and father.  All his well-intended efforts did nothing to stave off the evil of this world.

There is only so much I can do to protect myself and my family from the bad things that lurk in this dark world.  Even if I'm able to foresee every possible scenario and make every effort to guard against it, I'm left completely vulnerable without God's sovereign protection.  He is my best insurance policy, my greatest line of defense, my trusted shelter in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).  With God as my guardian, I need not fear any calamity, crisis or catastrophe, for He has me in the shadow of His wings.  There is no safer place to be, no matter what comes my way.  

Unless the LORD is acknowledged as my best line of defense, everything I do to protect myself from harm will make no difference at all.

Work.  I live in a world that says hard work is rewarded with success.  Therefore, I labor long and persistently, trying my best to make it up the ladder.  I follow advice of those who went before me, doing the same things they did to make it to the top.  Still, things don't seem to click and I find nothing but exhaustion coming from my efforts.  There is this sense that something vital is missing from the formula.

Then I discover a nugget of wisdom from the One who created the world in which I operate.  Who better to go to for advice in how to live successfully?  And He reminds me that I have a Father who desires to take care of my needs, freeing me up to labor in His kingdom, leaving the provision up to Him for the here and now (Matthew 6:33).  As I follow His ways, I come to find a different kind of success, accomplishments that are not recognized by this world but offers reward in heaven where I will find the true fruit of my labor in Him.    

Unless the LORD is trusted as my Provider, all my labor meant to propel me upward and onward will amount to nothing more than spinning wheels and exhaustion that penetrates my soul.


In this life, I'm either working against God, or cooperating with Him.  When I do things my way, living according to my own plan or the design of this world, I will find my efforts in vain.  When I acknowledge God as the Architect, the Protector, and the Provider, I'll find rest.  When I do, the work I accomplish according to His blueprint as I rest under His protection and trust in His provision will bring much success.  This is the kind of labor that finds favor with God.  This is the kind of labor that is not in vain.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him lead me where He plans for me to go.

When do I labor in vain as I follow my own plan?

How am I failing to look for where God is at work marking out my route, trying instead to forge my own path?


No comments:

Post a Comment