The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

How to Resist Despair

"I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2 ESV



I'm in the valley, maybe even the one shadowed by death (Psalm 23:4).  Things look bleak, hope is fading, it seems like the end.  I despair, wondering where this abundant life is that was promised to me (John 10:10b).  

In times such as these, periods of anguish and desperation, I can take a lesson from the psalmist.

Look Up.  His words stung me deeply.  They hurt so much because I knew they were true.  A brother in Christ rebuked me sternly for doubting God's plan through the hard time I was facing.  He said, "It's time for you to act like you believe the words you so confidently proclaim!"  Then he recited a poem that has stuck with me ever since.  "Worry looks around, fear looks back, but faith looks up!"

The writer of today's passage knew this truth well, exhorting me to train my eyes on my Father who has all things under control.  When I look around me at the problems that overwhelm, the darkness that looms, the "what-ifs" that drive me crazy, my stomach twists in knots and my outlook is bleak.  When I turn my gaze on the One who holds me in the palm of His hand, I remember that I'm not alone in this.  I have an Advocate who goes before me, fighting the battle on my behalf.

When walking through the dark valleys of life, it's important that I keep looking up from whence my help comes.

Source.  It's easy to look to other sources besides God for help, especially as I live in a world that is chock-full of resources.  When I realize that God is my go-to person, my faithful fount of wisdom, my never-ending supply of help, I will find the kind of assistance I need in every situation (Psalm 46:1).  He will never let me down and will always give me exactly what is necessary.

God is such a personal God.  The way He helps me may be different than the way He helps others.  For me, it may be necessary to give me opportunities to trust Him in impossible situations so my faith will grow and I will mature.  For others, He may deem it essential to deliver them from certain suffering in order to protect their heart or nurture their faith.  Only He knows what each of us needs and how to bring to fruition His great life-plan for each of His own, so depending on Him to help me will bring about the best outcome possible (Psalm 139, Jeremiah 29:11).

When going through difficult times, it's important that I recognize God as my sole source of help (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Sovereignty.   When playing a board game, it's important to read the directions to find out the intentions of the creator of the game.  As I study the rules, I learn the objective, the guidelines for playing and how a winner is declared.  If I decided to play by my own rules, which I've often done, I'm playing a different game than the one the inventor intended.

It's the same with life.  If I want to know the purpose for my life, what my goals are and what makes a successful life, I need to go to the One who made all things, the Creator of heaven and earth.  When I do, I will discover that it's His world in which I live, His plan I can either accept or reject, and His decision as to how everything works together.  He made it so He can do whatever He wants with His own creation (Romans 9:16-18).

In the hands of a malevolent being, this would be a scary prospect, but in light of the fact that the Sovereign God is a good God, I can trust Him to do what's best for me.  In fact, He is so bent on me living out His best that He takes what was meant for evil and uses it for my good (Romans 8:28).  In this truth I can rest:  God is for me (v 31) .

When experiencing trouble in this life, it's important that I realize I'm living in my good Father's world and He has absolute sovereignty over all things.


When going through dark times, it's easy to despair.  In order to resist such a natural inclination, I must look up to God as my source of help and realize His sovereign power over all things.  As I do, I will know the secret to living a joy-filled life, no matter my circumstances.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God with all the nitty-gritty details of my life.

When do I despair when overwhelmed with troubles, losing sight of God who is bigger than it all?

How am I troubled about that which God is never worried?


      

No comments:

Post a Comment