The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Dependence

"O LORD, listen to my cry;
give me the discerning mind you promised.
Listen to my prayer;
rescue me as you promised."
Psalm 119:169-170



In most things, the better I get, the less help I need.  When first learning to ride a bike, for instance, I needed my dad to hold the bike while I steadied myself, getting used to turning the pedals with my feet while balancing on two wheels.  As I got the hang of it, he held on less tightly and eventually was able to let go as I learned to ride by myself.  Before you knew it, I was speeding around the neighborhood on my little green Schwinn with the banana seat and the tassle-adorned handlebars.

I sometimes think it's like this in my walk of faith, as well.  Instead, it is backwards from this concept:  The longer I've walked with Jesus, the closer I get to my Father through faith in Jesus, the more I need Him.  As I mature, I come to realize more and more how I am totally dependent upon Him.  His ministry is vital.

Help.  It's not an easy path to walk.  For one thing, it feels unnatural, against my natural inclinations.  My feet desire the wide, flat surface of the road that leads to destruction (Matthew 7:13-14).  It's hard for me to keep up a steady pace when I'm continually running into potholes, obstacles, and other hardships.  I then say as the psalmist said, "Let your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts." (Psalm 119:173)

Once I commit to Jesus, the going will be sweet as I am restored to the woman I was created to be and enjoy His precious companionship, but the path itself is rocky and hard.  I'll find myself going through trial after trial, hardship followed by hardship, all for the sake of purification, sanctification, molding me into the image of Christ.  I'll find myself more often than not in the minority, sticking out like a cat in a pack of dogs.  I find I can't do it in my own strength.  I desperately need God's ever-present help in order to stay the course (Psalm 46:1, Ephesians 6:13).

The ministry of God's help is vital to my ability to live as He has called me to live.

Salvation.  As I keep in step with the Spirit, I experience restoration.  He has a supernatural way of shaping me into my intended form, of returning me to my original pre-sin condition, of making me into the daughter He meant for me to be.  This transformation process is constantly in the works as I cooperate with what He's doing in my life.  It's not just the salvation from eternal punishment that I need, it goes much deeper than that, touching every fiber of my being.

As I grow in faith and knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I long for this continuous rescue process, this putting-of-myself-back-together, this restoration (Psalm 119:174).  His still, small voice instructing me in His ways becomes sweet music to my ears instead of dreaded correction to my defiant flesh.  I learn to depend on this continuous process of salvation from my destructive ways.

The ministry of God's salvation and restoration is vital to my growth and maturation as a disciple of Christ.

Finding.  I easily forget.  I tend to stray.  I am often distracted by the shiny, luring objects of this world.  Since it's so hard for me to stay on track, sticking to the race that has been marked out for me, I need God's finding Spirit (Hebrews 12:1).  He is a true Shepherd, dedicated to seeking me out not matter how many times I get lost or abandon His company (Psalm 119:176). 

And I desperately need to be found.  Even though I love God's best for me, I'm easily ensnared by the traps of the enemy, quickly drawn away by the attractions of this world, without difficulty fallen prey to my own body of death (Romans:7:24).  I am completely dependent upon the seeking, finding nature of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

The ministry of God's finding Spirit is vital to my ability to stick with my Shepherd.


The closer I get to Jesus, the more I realize my need for Him.  I'm desperate for God's help, His salvation, and His willingness to find me when I stray.  The stronger my relationship with Him and the more mature I become in my faith, the more I realize my dependence upon Him.  While dependence in this world is seen as a weakness, this is the kind of dependence that gives me a strength that no one can deny.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him help me when I need it today.

How do I stubbornly insist on doing life on my own instead of learning to depend on God?

When am I buying into the world's message of self-sufficiency?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment