The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Proof of His Love

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever."
Psalm 136:1-3



I read the words on the page proclaiming of God's amazing, enduring love, but how do I know it is real?  How do I know He loves me?  I mean, really know deep in my heart without a doubt?  How can I take a risk to place my entire life in His loving hands, trusting that He won't hurt me, exploit me or let me down?  It takes faith.  

Here is some evidence of His great love to bolster my faith.

Great Wonders.  Standing under the expanse of sky that crisp, clear night, I am struck by the enormity of the universe and of my own tiny, insignificant life.  In comparison to all the twinkling stars I see sprinkled throughout the dark canvass above me, I realize there is a great Force at work in this world who has created unimaginable wonders, things I can barely comprehend let alone try to mimic: Oceans teaming with wildlife, a plethora of flora and fauna waiting to be discovered, a sun whose rise and fall I can set my watch to, and the moon whose glorious glow, in the words of Clement Clark Moore, gives "the lustre of mid-day to objects below."  (Psalm 136:4-9)

And the conclusion the psalmist draws from recognizing such wonders?  "His love endures forever."  A God who would grant such glorious gifts to His most prized possession, His beautiful image bearers, is the God of a permanent kind of love of which I can never lose.  I am secure in the love from a God such as this.  If He can perform such miraculous, creative wonders, is there anything He will not do out of His great love?  Nope, nothing is off-limits to such a loving God!

One of the most compelling pieces of evidence pointing toward God's enduring love is all of creation of which I am an integral part.

Salvation.  There is a track record of salvation written throughout the pages of scripture.  God is continually at work saving His people (Psalm 136:10-16).  Sometimes its the oppression of sin and fear that holds me down, compelling me to call out to the One whose sword can free me from the guilt and anxiety that often comes with living in a fallen world.  Other times its the so-called impossible situations I often face which send me to my knees where I find delivery from what I once labeled as my lot in life.  Then there are the times when I'm confronted by the ugly monsters of life, the giants that bully me into submission, giving me cause to cry out in desperation to the God who fights these overwhelming battles on my behalf.

And the conclusion the psalmist draws from remembering such salvation?  "His love endures forever."  A God whose heart is inclined toward the suffering of His people produces the kind of love on which I can count.  His love will never let me down, and there is never a time when I cannot cry out to Him and expect Him to ride in on His great white stead and rescue me from my present danger.

One of the most compelling pieces of evidence pointing toward God's enduring love is His willingness to rescue me.

Sovereignty.  Protection.  Provision.  Blessing.  Rescue.  Despite my unfaithfulness to a God who is in complete control, He still chooses to remember me, to see me in my current situation, to comfort me in all my troubles.  His authority over all things is often forgotten as I go about my day, attempting to feebly protect my wounded pride with coldness of heart, guarding against every conceivable disaster with insurance and money in the bank, and struggling to rescue myself from the stresses of life by using my own twisted methods of coping.  I find myself failing miserably, yet He never writes me off as a lost cause, always ready to use His sovereign power for my benefit.

And the conclusion the psalmist draws from realizing such perfect authority over all things?  "His love endures forever."  A God who is completely in control of all things yet yearns for me to willingly submit to His perfect plan for my life is a God whose love can be trusted as safe, faithful, and abundant.  He does not need me, yet He wants me.  And not just parts of me as I so often tend to give, but all of me; every nook and cranny of my heart.  

One of the most compelling pieces of evidence pointing toward God's enduring love is His sovereignty over all things yet willingness to be a personal part of my seemingly insignificant life.


It's sometimes hard to believe anyone, let alone the God of the universe, could love me.  He is all-powerful, all-present, all-knowing; why would He care about me?  The beauty of this God of all gods is that He is made of love.  And the proof of His great love is written throughout His creation, found in the way He chooses to save me, and in His sovereign power that is used for my good.  This is some evidence of His love which can propel me forward into His waiting arms.  Why wait another minute?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust my whole life to such a God as this.  

How do I hold out on God, unsure of His love for me?

When do I doubt His love despite the fact that there is evidence everywhere?  


No comments:

Post a Comment