The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Salvation that is in Vain

"Oh grant us help against the foe,
for vain is the salvation of man!"
Psalm 108:12 ESV



Humans are all around me and seem like the obvious choice to turn to for help.  I can see them, and many claim to possess the answers I need.  There are reasons, however, why this choice to turn to man is foolish.  Looking to a mere mortal for help is a worthless practice.

Busted.  Man has been found out.  The fallibility of humankind is evident.  No matter how much anyone claims to have all the answers, we, as a people, are busted and can't be trusted.  Humans have this problem that makes our line of thinking faulty, that skews our perspective, thus leaving any answers we come up with as filled with errors.  The issue common to every man, woman and child who ever lived?  Sin (Romans 3:23, Ecclesiastes 7:20).

My sin nature makes it impossible for me, or any other human, to give reliable advice 100% of the time.  The help I give or receive from others is always tainted by this fleshly imperfection.  While we may mean well, we just can't be trusted to know the best way to handle every situation, the escape route from trouble, or the purpose for pain.  As the psalmist wisely pointed out, "It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust man." (Psalm 118:8)

Even though man may have good intentions, it is foolish to turn to people for help.  When I don't know what to do, only God holds the road map for my life (James 1:5-7, Jeremiah 29:11).  When I feel everything is going wrong, only God sees the big picture and can show me how He's at work in my heart through the trouble (Psalm 46:1).  When I'm in despair, only God can give me hope for my future (Jeremiah 29:11).

God is perfect and 100% trustworthy, making Him my go-to Source for help.

Limited.  Man is created.  Everything I have is given to me from the Lord.  There is nothing I am, no feat I have achieved, no goal reached that is not enabled by Him, the Source of all good things.  I only have what I've been allowed to possess.

Since people are limited in what can be done, how much can be understood, and in point-of-view, help from man will reflect our finite nature (Psalm 146:3-4).  Due to the fact that my life is temporary, that I am only here for a season, any assistance I give or receive from others will be based on our limited scope that only takes the here and now into account.  While I may think myself wise, my wisdom is considered as foolish in the heavenlies (1 Corinthians 3:19).  Even though a powerful position may promise certain advantages in gaining assistance, it is limited at best and won't be able to deliver.

God is eternal, constant, and all powerful, making Him my unlimited Source for help.

No Authority.  I may feel secure if I have the assurance from a seat of power.  It may seem I'm immune from trouble if the leader give his promise of help.  If I call to the movers and shakers of my community in an appeal for help, I may feel on solid footing.  Unfortunately, any assistance they can give is in vain in the face of a sovereign God.

When Jesus stood before Pilate, standing silent regarding His accuser's claims, Pilate tried to understand why this prisoner would not defend Himself, frustrated that Jesus didn't seem to recognize his authority to condemn or grant pardon.  Jesus finally said, "You would have no power over me at all unless it were give to you from above." (John 19:11a)

No matter how things seem, man just doesn't have the authority to help in the way I need.  Only God can grant freedom from the punishment I deserve through faith in Christ.  Only God can empower me to live as I was meant to live in relationship with Him.  Only God can propel me forward through the valley of the shadow of death as I walk with Him.  Man has no ability to do such wonders for me.

God is righteous and holy, making Him my only salvation.


It's easy to turn to man for help.  I am constantly bombarded with claims of relief, support or assistance that comes from man. Turning to people for salvation, however, is a practice that is in vain.   It is only God who is able to give trustworthy, consistent help.  He is my only hope and His salvation is not in vain!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to deliver me from trouble.

When do I look for help in what I see, instead of in the unseen?

How am I drawn to the temporary fix of man?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment