The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Birth of Faith

Today's devotional reading comes from my book, 
52 Days of Grace
available on Amazon 
and at 
Village Books in Fairhaven, WA.




Birth of Faith

“You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.  Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.   So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?   Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?”  (Romans 2:1-4)

My first daughter was ten days late, and my second pregnancy was high-risk due to triplets, so I spent a lot of time in my young married years waiting around for babies to be born.
 
The problem is, I am not good at waiting.  Maybe I’m just too excited about what I am waiting for to come to fruition, or I could have my own schedule that I expect everyone and everything to heed.  Mostly, though, it’s just that I don’t want to wait.  I’d rather things happen right away.

Thankfully, God does not have a problem with waiting for us.  In fact, it is part of His character to wait for us to “get it”.  He is, “not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness” (2 Peter 3:9).  He is more concerned with the growth of our hearts than in our schedules, and He is always willing to wait for us to find His way.

When my youngest daughter was learning to sew, there were quite a few times when she had to rip out a seam and start over again.  Even though she would rather that it worked right the first time, the detours became a valuable learning opportunity instead of just a frustration.
 
Just as my periods of waiting ended with the birth of precious lives, God’s waiting brings about the birth of faith.

“Biblically, waiting is not just something we have to do until we get what we want. Waiting is part of the process of becoming what God wants us to be.”--John Ortberg



Do you accept waiting as a part of your walk with Jesus?  If you realized that waiting was beneficial to your faith, how would that improve your attitude?

Name something you have been waiting for, whether it be a loved one to come to Christ, an improvement in the health of a relationship, or something else.  How has your heart changed as you’ve waited?


Heavenly Father,
I thank You for Your patience in waiting for me to understand Your ways and submit myself to You.  It is unthinkable that I could be so stubborn and slow!  But You are never slow.  I ask for help in recognizing the benefits of waiting, and accepting the place in which You have placed me at this time in my life.  I ask for Your blessing on me and my family as we grow in faith. 
In Jesus’ Name I pray,
Amen


For information on ordering your own copy of 52 Days of Grace, follow this link or, if you are in the Bellingham area, visit Village Books in Fairhaven.  

If you'd like to order an e-copy, click here.  

May God be glorified in your heart as you use this tool to grow closer in your relationship with Him!  



No comments:

Post a Comment