The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Progression of Dependence

"The LORD is my strength and my defense;
he has become my salvation."
Psalm 118:14



As I came up out of the water, I had a feeling that something was different, that I was brand new.  In my young mind there was a hope for the future, a realization that I was made for more than simply living for myself.  I was excited about this great adventure that stood before me.  

I didn't start this journey of faith knowing completely of my great need for Jesus.  Instead, I had a vague inkling that something was missing, that I wasn't complete, that I needed more than what was in me.  I was drawn to Jesus as my salvation, but I didn't fully know the depth of my depravity, how much I needed His rescue.  Little by little, He shows me how desperately I need Him, how lost I am on my own.  There is a progression of my dependence on Him.

Discipline.  I have much to learn.  My wrong thinking, harmful habits, and destructive ways are exposed through hardships in my life.  God uses the tough times to root out what doesn't belong in me as His child.  The crises, suffering and painful experiences are like a chisel in His loving hand as He expertly carves away all that is impure and which distracts from Jesus (Hebrews 12:10-11).  As hard as it is to go through such discipline, God does not take me to the point of death (v 18).  Instead, He always leaves something to work with, a remnant upon which to build.

Nebuchadnezzar was a man who thought quite highly of himself.  In fact, he was so arrogant as the king of Babylon that he worshiped himself as if he were God.  As a result, God used a radical experience to humble him.  But as the prophetic dream foretold, he would not be completely destroyed, but a "stump" would be left upon which his new, humble life would be built (Daniel 4).  In Christ, there is always hope for such restoration.

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I experience His loving discipline that works to make less of me and more of Him.

Open Gate.  At first I think it's something I've done right, a good choice I've made to get on the right path, a smart decision to follow Jesus.  As I'm humbled, I begin to see more clearly as the fog of my self-centered flesh is cleared away.  While I think I found the narrow path that leads to life, I come to realize that it was Jesus who made such a journey possible (Matthew 7:14).  Even though it was I who walked through the gate, He Himself is the Gate through which I enter onto such a sacred path of suffering, and it was His Light that illuminated the way (John 8:1210:7-10) .

Only the righteous walk there, yet I am welcomed, ushered through as if I belong.  How could this be? I wonder as I look at my own tarnished clothing.  But no, I am suddenly without blemish, white as snow, clean as fresh linen, cleansed by the blood of Jesus who is my salvation.  Through faith in Him I now belong.  I am saved from the old life, the destructive path.  The Gate that is Jesus was opened up to me so that I could enter through and walk on the Highway of Holiness (Isaiah 35:8).

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I enter through the open Gate that leads me to a place I thought I'd never belong, where my sins are washed away.

His Hand.  Anteaters have a keen sense of smell.  While they have wonderful olfactory organs, there is only one thing they care to sniff out with their unique snouts and that is their delicious diet: ants and termites.  These funny-looking creatures can eat up to 35,000 of the tiny insects each day.  I guess you could say they only have noses for bugs.

In the same way that the Anteater can quickly hone in on their tasty meals, I can become just as adept at recognizing God's hand at work in my life.  As I grow closer to Him, I begin to see how prevalent is His work.  It comes to my attention that it has really been Him all along who has beautifully orchestrated my life, guiding me toward the Truth and overflowing my life with the good things I didn't always recognize as beneficial.  It was Him all along.  I thought I played a role, but I am completely at His mercy, quite a good place to be!

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I begin to develop my ability to see the scope of God's handiwork throughout my life, leading me to rejoice in Him!



I began the journey with Christ as an ignorant babe who foolishly thought I was pretty good on my own, just needing a bit of help now and then.  As I am taken through periods of discipline where my sinful ways are purged, I find the rocky path difficult to negotiate but grow more and more sensitive to God's good work all around me.  As I follow this progression of dependence, I rejoice in my position as His helpless child who is dearly loved by her Father.  He has become my salvation.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to walk through the rocky path He will use for His glory.

When do I fail to see His handiwork, only seeing the harshness of life?

How am I ignorant of His lifelong romance as He gently and lovingly led me toward life?

No comments:

Post a Comment